Sign in to follow this  
Bernard  Futter

RECALLING THE SPIRIT OF 59/59 - THE STRIP WAS A POOR IMITATION AND THE PLAY CERTAINLY WAS!

Call me an old fashoned sentimentalist, but I braved - what I fully anticipated would be a shocker - at The Valley today, at the prospect of seeing the 58/59 strip on view once again.Perhaps by half closing my eyes I''d be able to conjure up images of Barry Butler,  Jimmy Hill, Bobby Brennan and Terry Allcock and the other Greats who wore the old style yellow and green with such distinction.Noting the Club couldn''t even get the detail of the replica strip spot-on in a number of ways (eg the colour of the numbers should have been black) was hardly an encouraging sign.The lack of cohesion from two abject sides was such that I''d have needed Stevie Wonder''s visiual impairment to be able to transport myself back to the halycyon days of yore.I can take good players having an off day but  playing to a workable system, but this City side looked as though they had just met up for a charity match such was the lack of anticipation and understanding between the individuals.I hate to make pronouncements based on the evidence of this one match, but I can see both of these sides being relegation certs.