Sign in to follow this  
CaptnCanary

Cheap way to remove a Rodent!

I was just reading the post about it being in Roeder''s contract that we can get rid of him for 1 months salary. It would be nice if true but is probably very doubtful. But this got me thinking about how you could get rid of a manager without sacking him. It made me think of that documentary that was on about Peterborough FC a while back following their quest for promotion. At one point in that program things were looking a bit bleak for the manager so Barry Fry as club owner/chairman made the decision to take over team selection for a particular game. This upset the manager so much that he threw his toys out of the pram and resigned.

So, how about our board grow some balls and try the same thing? Effectively push Roeder aside and whether he resigns or not I don''t think we can lose. Either he resigns and doesn''t get a pay off or he is sidelined and continues to get his wages but is out of a job. If the latter is the case then presumably it doesn''t cost us any more than having to pay off the rest of his contract? In the meantime we appoint a new manager (possibly under a different title if Roeder does not walk) and carry on our merry way.

I don''t for one second think that our board would have the balls to try this but what does everybody else think? Would it work or am I missing a vital point?

Agreed, an interesting idea, but as you say would probably happen. It does seem to be something that drives managers up the wall though, with this sort of ''director of football'' scenario, where someone else pulls the strings and the manager is just a glorified coach. Prime example would be the Curbs situation at West Ham recently.

[quote user="CaptnCanary"]

I was just reading the post about it being in Roeder''s contract that we can get rid of him for 1 months salary. It would be nice if true but is probably very doubtful. But this got me thinking about how you could get rid of a manager without sacking him. It made me think of that documentary that was on about Peterborough FC a while back following their quest for promotion. At one point in that program things were looking a bit bleak for the manager so Barry Fry as club owner/chairman made the decision to take over team selection for a particular game. This upset the manager so much that he threw his toys out of the pram and resigned.

So, how about our board grow some balls and try the same thing? Effectively push Roeder aside and whether he resigns or not I don''t think we can lose. Either he resigns and doesn''t get a pay off or he is sidelined and continues to get his wages but is out of a job. If the latter is the case then presumably it doesn''t cost us any more than having to pay off the rest of his contract? In the meantime we appoint a new manager (possibly under a different title if Roeder does not walk) and carry on our merry way.

I don''t for one second think that our board would have the balls to try this but what does everybody else think? Would it work or am I missing a vital point?

[/quote]

Good thinking CC, but I think he would then probably walk and then sue for constructive dismissal !

However if the board came out, took a leaf out of G.R.''s own book and publicly gave him a verbal slating,(as they have a right to), then he would definately, as you say, "throw toys out of pram" and possibly walk. He would then probably have a very hard time proving constructive dismissal as it would be tactics that he has shewn to use himself and assumably feel it correct to do, ala Hoolihan.

Hmmm ? ? ?

I don''t think GR will walk, one he is earning, two, he has so little success as a manager, baring the two top 7 finishes and he does not want to be a failure.I can''t see him etting another top job and would end up being some sort of acedemy manager, which I''m sure he would be a success.

[quote user="Canaries in Bed"]I don''t think GR will walk, one he is earning, two, he has so little success as a manager, baring the two top 7 finishes and he does not want to be a failure.I can''t see him etting another top job and would end up being some sort of acedemy manager, which I''m sure he would be a success.[/quote]hmmm little bit late for that!