Sign in to follow this  
Pottsy

Headed goals

I hope last night was a one off and not something we will see regularly this year. Normally u play with at least one big centre back and a target man unfortunately in the current team we have got Charlton and Fleming neither of which are very tall and Svensson as the target man, not too big either. In the past I have seen teams play withoout height in the team outplay the other team but lose as they can''t defend crosses or set pieces.
If u think about it Iwan or Malky in the past have headed most balls out of our box which come in there.
It would be unfair to talk too much about it just cos of last night but its something we should keep an eye on.

I have also noticed this and it is something i am very concerned about. However, both the positions in question have been singled out by Nige for strengthening.

Definitly a valid point about our lack of height, however the premiership is likely to be less physical and more technical and hence the aerial presence or Iwan and Malkay will not be as vital as past seasons in div1

I have just seen the Posh headed goal and it would seem that worthy has a lot more work on the training ground on dealing with high balls into the box. I was at the training session on Friday and Worthy spent quite a while putting high crosses into the box and really bollac...g the defenders for not dealing with them properly. We definitely need some height in there and I can see Malky starting on Saturday. Cracking goal from Bentley though.

OTBC

We only conceded 4 goals to headers in the whole of last year''s league programme. While this has something to do with defending the box and stopping the crosses coming in, Malky has never really been given the credit he deserves for his work last term. We looked in trouble when the ball was in the air last night and, while I appreciate that the Prem. teams won''t play like the big boys of Peterborough, I''ll feel more secure if Malky is back with Flem for the big kick off.

A point well made - Charlton is undoubtedly a good defender, but at 5 ft 8 in is always going to struggle with high crosses, and you can bet the Prem Teams will work on that one, if they have scouts at our matches. Malky must be a starter, with Flem alongside or a new defender, if thats on Worthy''s agenda. However I am concerned that if the Primus thing is still ongoing, he too is not that tall at 5 ft 10 in. The old theory is still correct - a good big''un is nearly always better than a good little''un.

My theory is that a talented player is always better than a mediocre one. One game against league 1 opposition playing route 1 and suddenly we are doubting the credentials of a player who played centre half against Van Horse and Henry and kept them both quiet in preference of a player who had trouble controlling Fuller?

The majority of prem players do not have a powerhouse centre forward and even if they do the focus is usually on playing the ball into space. I see Charlton playing most games with Flem or Malky playing depending on the opposition - I expect Malky to play against Shearer Angel et al but Flem against players who are better on the floor - drogba, cisse, owen henry etc.

Worthy has said he wants another central defender - I am sure he is still searching..

OTBC

Glad most of u agree with my points however Robbo I have to say that I take your point that the in the premier less goals are scored from crosses into the box it is still a worry. For example say if we were playing Arsenal who would pick up Campbell and Toure. A Not one player in our team is big enough to mark them. U might say well we''ll probably lose to them anyway but if u look further down teams like West Brom will have a field day. We would probably out play them then let in three set pieces. southampton, Crouch, Beattie Its def a worry.

Yes but whilst i would feel much more secure with Malky out there when the ball is in the air I would also feel much less secure when the ball is on the ground. Surely until we get a Cb in that can do both (Primus or a.n.other) then it will have to be a case of picking the defence that suits the opposition in question!

ok, i agree this can be a promblem

But i have heard quite a few complements on Charlton and his a bility in the air despite his lack height. Fleming will be chosen over malky because of pace (AND PASSING)

Also people talk about fleming and Mackay being slow, as Niel Adams said on radio norfolk: They are actualy quite fast lads (althought i woundnt call flem and malky lads - more like vetrians!)

2 things:
no way is Flem "slow". compared to whom? fair enough to criticise his distribution, which has improved while he has been at the club, but he has pace.
didn''t think Charlton did particularly well on the ground either v. peterborough, although I have been impressed by him when I''ve seen him on TV and it could just be that flem and malky have played together so often that it will prove difficult to replace their partnership because of the understanding built up.