Sign in to follow this  
TwoSheds

Delia was spot on!

She said the club would model themselves on Charlton. She had us fooled,i dare say most of u thought Charlton would stay in the prem.

What a clever woman she is for looking into the future and seeing the demise of Charlton!

[quote user="singing canary"]

good call ,she can thank the directors of charlton when we both go down.

she led herself up the garden path on that quote didnt she.!!!

[/quote]

As with other things she has stated in the past, she should learn to keep her trap shut [:#]

[quote user="1st Wizard"]She can do the Hexes from now on and play with my balls if she ask''s nicely![;)][/quote]

Blimey Wiz you aren''t that hard up are you?  Thought you were quite choosy who plays with your balls lol [;)][:)]

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

[quote user="1st Wizard"]She can do the Hexes from now on and play with my balls if she ask''s nicely![;)][/quote]

Blimey Wiz you aren''t that hard up are you?  Thought you were quite choosy who plays with your balls lol [;)][:)]

[/quote]

Normally yes 49, but my current set are cracked![:S][;)]

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

[/quote]

Normally yes 49, but my current set are cracked![:S][;)]

[/quote]

OMG pmsl too much info me thinks [:D]

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="singing canary"]

[/quote]

As with other things she has stated in the past, she should learn to keep her trap shut [:#]

[/quote]Of course, and if she did that there would be a constant stream of complaints about her/the club never telling the fans anything.

A few years ago Charlton we''re the team to model yourselves (I note the sarcasm)

The problem with charlton is losing Curbs - every since then it has been down hill! I predict the same could happen with Pompey now they have lost Harry!

Not only is this funny and worrying from the perspective of Delia''s quote, it''s a sad indictment of football in this country.  Can anyone name one established Premier League club without an extremely wealthy benefactor pumping lots of money into the team?  The game has moved on so far, so quickly, that clubs such as Charlton, and us before them are left behind. 

We need to get back to basics i''m afraid; we have never been a ''spending'' club - our best business has been picking up squad players from the bigger clubs as permanent signings (I''m going back to the 80''s and 90''s here).  The current policy of loaning Premier League fringe players is flawed for all the reasons identified on this message board.  Stability and living within our means is the key - the fact that we cannot pay the wage bill from sell-out crowds is an absolute disgrace.

This will take time, and may involve relegation, but (cue abuse from other posters) I don''t think Premier League football is, or should be a realistic aim for our club.  I know we''ll be lucky to enjoy Championship football in the coming seasons, but that just emphasises how far we''ve fallen.

We, and Charlton (as well as Southampton, Watford, Coventry, Derby, Ipswich, Leicester, Nottingham Forest, Swindon, Bradford etc.) are a sad illustration of the senseless destruction money and greed have caused our national game.  All have played Premier League football in the last 16 years, and all have suffered the financial consequences.

[quote user="suffolk canary"]

Not only is this funny and worrying from the perspective of Delia''s quote, it''s a sad indictment of football in this country.  Can anyone name one established Premier League club without an extremely wealthy benefactor pumping lots of money into the team?  The game has moved on so far, so quickly, that clubs such as Charlton, and us before them are left behind. 

We need to get back to basics i''m afraid; we have never been a ''spending'' club - our best business has been picking up squad players from the bigger clubs as permanent signings (I''m going back to the 80''s and 90''s here).  The current policy of loaning Premier League fringe players is flawed for all the reasons identified on this message board.  Stability and living within our means is the key - the fact that we cannot pay the wage bill from sell-out crowds is an absolute disgrace.

This will take time, and may involve relegation, but (cue abuse from other posters) I don''t think Premier League football is, or should be a realistic aim for our club.  I know we''ll be lucky to enjoy Championship football in the coming seasons, but that just emphasises how far we''ve fallen.

We, and Charlton (as well as Southampton, Watford, Coventry, Derby, Ipswich, Leicester, Nottingham Forest, Swindon, Bradford etc.) are a sad illustration of the senseless destruction money and greed have caused our national game.  All have played Premier League football in the last 16 years, and all have suffered the financial consequences.

[/quote]Sorry my friend, I don''t think you are on the right message board here - this is a balanced and sensible point, not the sort of thing we like at all!

I hate all the money in football too but I also recognise its now the way the game has moved on. This isn''t the 80s or 90s anymore so we can''t run the club pretending it is. The standard of championship/premiership football from those two decades can now be found in leagues 1 and 2, and if we continue to fall behind todays standard and refuse to move on, we will end up in those two leagues and remain there for a very long time.

Its a shame I know but its how it is.

(not having a go btw)

I appreciate what you''re saying Paint, but I think we can be better run, live within our means and still play in the Championship - look at Burnley and Plymouth to take two examples.  They are not awash with cash, but they are well organised and have a collective ethos - i''d be very interested to see what happened if Burnley do go up.  Because if their board gets sucked into this perverse money game then you can add them to the list of clubs in financial ruin - selling their lovely wooden seats will only raise so many pennies...

Funny how many people on here were saying exactly that - Charlton were the lead to follow

Hindsight driven fickle lickle fans

[quote user="IBA"]Funny how many people on here were saying exactly that - Charlton were the lead to follow Hindsight driven fickle lickle fans[/quote]

Not only that IBA but they also wanted to follow Charlton with Danny Crowe leading the attack. It never ceases to amaze me how they manage to slither on through time ditching the views they''re not comfortable with anymore whilst turning over the stones of hindsight to find a new one to beat the club with. There are snakes in the grass![:O]

Look hate to say it but  your "ask''s " should be "asks ". Don''t you know what an apostrophe signifies ?  If you don''t how can I take your comments seriously , number one Wiz ?

The need to find a model to follow is merely an admission of the inability to figure things out for oneself  from first principles.

To my understanding that''s what South, Watling and Chase did with very considerable success.

Unfortunately our current leadership lacks the capacity to think, to inspire and to ''figure things out for themselves''. Is that the failing that caused the Turners to run? Is that what scares them about Cullum?

OTBC

[quote user="cuckoo in the nest"]

Look hate to say it but  your "ask''s " should be "asks ". Don''t you know what an apostrophe signifies ?  If you don''t how can I take your comments seriously , number one Wiz ?

[/quote]

Jeez! there''s always one![;)]

[quote user="Creative Midfielder"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="singing canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Of course, and if she did that there would be a constant stream of complaints about her/the club never telling the fans anything.
[/quote]

I think you know full well what I mean, we don''t get told hardly anything now (transparent my a**e), but what she has said in the past in public has been straying off the truthful path.

So IMHO unless it''s 100% true and official, such as a statement by the board to the press then she should learn to say no comment to the press.

[quote user="suffolk canary"]

[/quote]Everton? are the only ones i can think of they''ve been in the top flight for as long as i''ve been watching football and have never spent mega money on players.

[quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"][quote user="suffolk canary"]

[/quote]

Everton? are the only ones i can think of they''ve been in the top flight for as long as i''ve been watching football and have never spent mega money on players.
[/quote]

I think that''s a good call, but the fact that this may be the only example is worrying.  I think the Everton example is a good one, because it confirms the importance of a strong, respected manager with integrity.  They haven''t spent mega-bucks (although they are by no means skint), but what they do have is deployed well.

Well Badger, nice to have some sensible remarks about our expectations being kept in line with our financial capabilities, I''m afraid that  our more philanthropic posters will find that pill hard to swallow. Good post!! wellsaid

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="IBA"]Funny how many people on here were saying exactly that - Charlton were the lead to follow Hindsight driven fickle lickle fans[/quote]

Not only that IBA but they also wanted to follow Charlton with Danny Crowe leading the attack. It never ceases to amaze me how they manage to slither on through time ditching the views they''re not comfortable with anymore whilst turning over the stones of hindsight to find a new one to beat the club with. There are snakes in the grass![:O]

[/quote]

Too right nutty.  Snakes like IBA who don`t want a cup run and are quite happy to see the club relegated as long as we are playing nice football.  That someone with such opinions is taken seriously is the lowest this message board has ever sunk.