Sign in to follow this  
lord montyjones

1959 cup run on you tube

Good find. 4 years before i was born but still interetsing to see what all the fuss is about.

Don''t you just wish the current team showed some of that spirit!

[quote user="ricardo"]Yes, wonderful stuff, I remember it like yesterday.[/quote]

As do I Ricardo. What a thrill it was to be at those matches. I have not been able to find the match against Manchester United on youtube. Perhaps I just missed it. Does anyone know if it exists? What a cracker that game was.

[quote user="NorwichsNewFinest"]

I noticed the commentator remarked "The Norwich defence is like a wall of granite" whereas the current defence is like a wall of marshmallow.

[/quote]

lol thats about it

Great stuff.  Did you notice there was no change to an away strip even when the whites of Spurs and Luton played the canary yellow - even under lights. 

Any clues as to if there is any footage of the tonking of the Busby Babes in the previous round at all?

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[quote user="ricardo"]Yes, wonderful stuff, I remember it like yesterday.[/quote]

As do I Ricardo. What a thrill it was to be at those matches. I have not been able to find the match against Manchester United on youtube. Perhaps I just missed it. Does anyone know if it exists? What a cracker that game was.

[/quote]

I can''t remember ever seeing any footage of that game Yankee, nor any of the Cardiff match. Those were the days before highlights were shown on TV. Indeed I think we had only just got ITV. Before that it was just a single BBC channel and there wasn''t much in the way of "outside broadcasts", as they were then called. The only reason we have got the Spurs, Sheff Utd and Luton games is because we had become a national story and these Newsreels were made mainly for showing in Cinemas. In those days you got the "b" feature film then a Newsreel of current events and then the main feature film.

Oh how things have changed in 50 years.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[/quote]

I can''t remember ever seeing any footage of that game Yankee, nor any of the Cardiff match. Those were the days before highlights were shown on TV. Indeed I think we had only just got ITV. Before that it was just a single BBC channel and there wasn''t much in the way of "outside broadcasts", as they were then called. The only reason we have got the Spurs, Sheff Utd and Luton games is because we had become a national story and these Newsreels were made mainly for showing in Cinemas. In those days you got the "b" feature film then a Newsreel of current events and then the main feature film.

[/quote]

I''m sure. As long as we are reminiscing Ricardo, which cinema did you frequent mostly? Was it the Regent, Gaumont or the old Odeon....surely not the Theatre De Luxe? Many of my outings were at the Ritz.....I only went "down" the city if I could afford to spend big.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I''m sure. As long as we are reminiscing Ricardo, which cinema did you frequent mostly? Was it the Regent, Gaumont or the old Odeon....surely not the Theatre De Luxe? Many of my outings were at the Ritz.....I only went "down" the city if I could afford to spend big.

[/quote]

I remember th Ritz well Yankee. My older cousin used to take me there Saturdays for the tanner rush (sixpence in old money and thats 2.5 p for those who don''t remember £.s.d.). You could never hear the film because so many kids were scraping in the aisle. The manager ued to come out and blow a whistle and threaten to chuck someone out if things got too out of hand.

I preffered the old Odeon which was vastly bigger than the present one. I also remember the Norvic in Prince of Wales Road. It had a cardboard cut out of a panorama of the city in front of the stage. The Theatre De Luxe in St Andrews was known as the "Flea Pit" and was very primitive. There was even an old lady there who used to make you a cup of tea on request. All quite bizarre when you compare it with nowadays. I remember seeing "The Beast with Five Fingers" there in about 1957, I was only 12 and it was an X certificate so the shouldn''t have let me in at that age but Cinema was in decline then and they must have been glad of my one and thrupence.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[/quote]

I''ve certainly never seen any footage and I''ve collected lots of old clips over the years.  Just have to assume it doesn''t exist along with other great games we played between the 50''s and 70''s.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I remember th Ritz well Yankee. My older cousin used to take me there Saturdays for the tanner rush (sixpence in old money and thats 2.5 p for those who don''t remember £.s.d.). You could never hear the film because so many kids were scraping in the aisle. The manager ued to come out and blow a whistle and threaten to chuck someone out if things got too out of hand.

I preffered the old Odeon which was vastly bigger than the present one. I also remember the Norvic in Prince of Wales Road. It had a cardboard cut out of a panorama of the city in front of the stage. The Theatre De Luxe in St Andrews was known as the "Flea Pit" and was very primitive. There was even an old lady there who used to make you a cup of tea on request. All quite bizarre when you compare it with nowadays. I remember seeing "The Beast with Five Fingers" there in about 1957, I was only 12 and it was an X certificate so the shouldn''t have let me in at that age but Cinema was in decline then and they must have been glad of my one and thrupence.

[/quote]

Happy days Ricardo. You and I are about the same age. I also got into see Peter Lorre in "The Beast With Five Fingers" with my older sister. The tanner rush gave us everything we needed with serial episodes of the Durango Kid, Batman and Sir Galahad amongst others. The manager I remember at the Ritz was Mr. Wilgrass ( I think I''ve got that name right ) with whistle in hand when the assembled made too much noise. On came the lights, three sharp blows on the whistle and Wilgrass''s threats to remove anyone who didn''t keep quiet. While his focus was on the noise often someone would slip out and open the side door to let others in, save the tanner and spend the money on Rowntree''s fruit gums.

what a lovely strike from Bobby Brennan in the 6th round replay.

Rattles, rosettes and cigarette smoke*...........!

And above all else we did it by outfootballing those top sides. That is why the national media built it into such a romantic story (check some of the descriptors in the scripted Pathe News voiceover)

What wonderful memories. Some of the proudest days of my life.

OTBC

* in those days we didn''t know it was bad for you!

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

How about the dance halls in the early 60''s then? Gala,Sampson, Normans and if realy flush Chic Aplin at the Norwood rooms. Only got posh birds there.

First match for me was the Man U game so 50years support just arrived. Didn''t even know about cine cameras then, just box brownies. Little wonder no footage.

Will ask Sandy and Terry when I see them they might have some footage in their lockers.

How crap was football then eh? Hoof lump and punt....I remember heading those balls... dont remember much about the five minutes afterwards....

Should have said Hoof, Lump, Bobble, and Punt

Trumpton midfield..... or Grants

[quote user="IBA"]Should have said Hoof, Lump, Bobble, and Punt Trumpton midfield..... or Grants[/quote]

With Football boots the size of small tanks plus mud, dribbling was a matter of strength as well as ability[:D]

Then it was a mans game not for the present sissy lot.

[quote user="IBA"]Doc Def to blame for Spurs equaliser[/quote]

Don''t care who you blame as long as it''s not Barry Butler or me and some of the lads..........................!!

[quote user="The Butler"]

First match for me was the Man U game so 50years support just arrived.

[/quote]

Glory Boy!

[;)]

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="The Butler"]

First match for me was the Man U game so 50years support just arrived.

[/quote]

Glory Boy!

[;)]

[/quote]

Yep until then I didn''t even know Norwich had a football team of note.

So nothing much has changed over 50 years[:D]

Came away with my head buzzing. (I think it was the elbow of the guy stood next to me when we scored!!)

Fairly sure I went in my BEST wellies as well. Oh how life has changed

Ah wonderful, I remeber it well. I attended all of the home games, including Ilford but wasn''t allowed to go away as I was only 10. I remember queing up for tickets, miles from the ground, all through the night.

Just shows you what can be achieved with average, but decent players, organisation, motivation, the right tactics, enthusiasm, determination, a big dollop of passion and a "never know when we''re beaten" attitude.

Hope GR and his motley crew have all seen it.

Well from what I''ve always been told they were much more than average but decent players MP. In todays game it''s a bit hard to comprehend how so many good players could be playing in the third tier but I guess part of it was because of the maximum wage which meant they couldn''t earn so much more in the top tier. I have always been under the impression that those players were easily good enough to do well in the top tier.

What do you think Rickyyyyyyyyyyy?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Well from what I''ve always been told they were much more than average but decent players MP. In todays game it''s a bit hard to comprehend how so many good players could be playing in the third tier but I guess part of it was because of the maximum wage which meant they couldn''t earn so much more in the top tier. I have always been under the impression that those players were easily good enough to do well in the top tier.

What do you think Rickyyyyyyyyyyy?

[/quote]

You are correct in your impression as usual Nutty.

In the days of the maximum wage the good players were much more evenly spread. In the era we are talking abot the maximum was about 17-20 quid a week with small bonuses for a win or draw so probaly no more than 25 quid in a good week. The average wage for working people was half this or less.

There were a lot of decent players in the lower divisions indeed the England goalie was Reg Matthews who played for Coventry in div 3. I also recall John Atyeo of Bristol City and also the brothers Arthur and Jack Rowley. Arthur still holds the record for most career goals in the football league, 434 I believe.

The thing about the cup run was that we outplayed teams from higher divisions wth good football not kick and rush. If you look at some of those clips on youtube you may notice some wonderful stuff from Jimmy Hill one of my all time hero''s. It was those games that gave Norwich their reputation for passing football and nobody will ever convince me that players like Butler, Crowe, Crossan etc couldn''t have made it in the top division.

Also during the summer months, the players had to get another job as the clubs didn''t pay them out of the football season!