Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

A request re the Charlton model

Please for the sake of my sanity can we STOP the snide comments about following the ''Charlton model''.

Yes Delia said it at a time when they were a small family club competing at a high level. Yes they have since fallen from grace. Yes we are in similar sorry positions. Yes it was quite funny to state that we are finally doing a Charlton....but after the 1000th time it is wearing thin and is a little unfair. No one has crystal balls and no one knew they would fall so hard and so quickly. The truth is that football has been run on greed and consumerism for too long and MANY clubs are going to be in the brown stuff before long.

I predict a massive crash and am not sure it will not be a good thing in the long run. Certainly the recession, nay depression, will soon hit clubs and it will not be pretty.

[quote user="the artist formerly known as VIYAG"]

Please for the sake of my sanity can we STOP the snide comments about following the ''Charlton model''.

Yes Delia said it at a time when they were a small family club competing at a high level. Yes they have since fallen from grace. Yes we are in similar sorry positions. Yes it was quite funny to state that we are finally doing a Charlton....but after the 1000th time it is wearing thin and is a little unfair. No one has crystal balls and no one knew they would fall so hard and so quickly. The truth is that football has been run on greed and consumerism for too long and MANY clubs are going to be in the brown stuff before long.

I predict a massive crash and am not sure it will not be a good thing in the long run. Certainly the recession, nay depression, will soon hit clubs and it will not be pretty.

[/quote]

Agreed - most football clubs are run on unsustainable, debt-fuelled business models, apart from a few ''lucky'' ones like Man City and Chelsea. The massive crash you mention will follow what we''re seeing in retail with lots of well-known names hitting the skids - and going into administration.