Sign in to follow this  
YankeeCanary

Transfer Activity - To Date

As of the time of writing 77 transfers have taken place in the January window. Only 3 have been identified with announced fees, 16 are undisclosed. The great majority of 75% of the total are either free transfers or loans.....39 loans and 19 free transfers. Economic bite is taking hold perhaps. Anyone ever consider Norwich is ahead of the curve?

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]As of the time of writing 77 transfers have taken place in the January window. Only 3 have been identified with announced fees, 16 are undisclosed. The great majority of 75% of the total are either free transfers or loans.....39 loans and 19 free transfers. Economic bite is taking hold perhaps. Anyone ever consider Norwich is ahead of the curve?[/quote]if ahead of the curve in this respect means signing loanees with question marks over them (either through their suspect injury record or recent form or because they are very raw and untried) then no - the gamble clearly hasn''t worked and put us near the bottom of the division...my view is that a suspect history = cheap/er loan fee...so - proven and quality loanees - YES please...players in the mould of hucks, crouch, taylor, lita...etc,,,

I understand your point Yankee and beleive there may be some truth to what you say. Keith Harris was on the radio earlier describing Portsmouth''s current speight of outgoing players as "realistic" and that in a similar way they were "ahead of the curve", beause other clubs would surely have to follow.

Having said that, your offered statistics (both illuminating and persuasive, by the way) don''t include the existing squad compositions of of the clubs involved. Loans are an inreasingly vital part of sustaining a playing squad, but to me, even if a club is forced to bring in 5 loans per window, there needs to be at least 1 or 2 permanent players to go with that - if that club is actually trying to build a settled and stable playing side, in the longer term! Furthermore, I beleive striking this sort of balance is also vital if a club wishes to sustain the all important bond between the team and the fans (important in terms of "sporting romance" but also of course, maintaining regular ticket revenues!)

Although we don''t know if the main reason for our recent transfer policy is purely financial, or if it''s partly tactical on Roeder''s part, I truly beleive that the club have not achieved the above balance and thus they are operating with an extremely short term outlook, as well as jeopardising that critical bond which is the real lifebood of the game.

Just a thought from another flu-blown poster. Could Roeder be (over)using the loan market at the moment because he is waiting to see how some of our own young players shape up? Whatever we think of Roeder, he has a good history as a Youth Coach. One of his first actions when he came here was to weed out some of the academy deadwood (and I don''t include Lewis here!). Since then our young players have done well, and some are clearly coming up to be ready to make their first team debuts. Or is this all too optimisitic and Roeder neutral?

[quote user="YankeeCanary"] Anyone ever consider Norwich is ahead of the curve?[/quote]

Yankee, I have said on another thread that this is probably Delia''s real mistake so far - prudence with ambition is fine, but if everyone else drops the prudence bit we end up looking like we have no ambition!  However we may yet reap if this recession is as long and as deep as those city boys tell us!

[quote user="if I promise to behave"]Could Roeder be (over)using the loan market at the moment because he is waiting to see how some of our own young players shape up? [/quote]

I have thought that this might be a possiblity but he seems to be keeping them too far away from the first team set up to make this statement make sense.  Only including them on the bench for instance when the number of substitutes increases to 7 seems that he is in no rush to prove your point!  It also says a hell of a lot for Lappin!