Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

round pegs in round holes, eh glenn?

“Elliott has stepped in and had his moments when he''s done particularly

well and there are times where he''s shown his inexperience, as he did

against Forest. But those two boys are full-backs, who are honest lads,

trying to do a job in a different position. But really you want round

pegs in round holes.”what about the front line!?

So Glenn, why do you play Russell up front and leave Lupoli on the bench. Why are you the first manager to believe Sibierski is a target man. Why replace Huckerby who played on the left wing with a right sided midfieder. Why did you drop Huckerby for Henry last season. Why do have played Pattison right midfield...................

But.......Grounds is a LEFT BACK. He has no CB experience at Boro''. Not moaning, from past experience, we know he is better there than Omozusi but still, we need two dedicated CBs. We are in the mess we find ourselves in of recent, purely because of the retarded defending that allowed 8 (of 11) ridiculous, soft goals in last 6 games. Horendous mistakes, turning back on a player in the box, leaving holes and following wrong man, showing players inside and failing to attack crosses. These mistakes cost us at least 6-8 points over that last 6 matches.

[quote user="Bigus"]But.......Grounds is a LEFT BACK. He has no CB experience at Boro''. Not moaning, from past experience, we know he is better there than Omozusi but still, we need two dedicated CBs. We are in the mess we find ourselves in of recent, purely because of the retarded defending that allowed 8 (of 11) ridiculous, soft goals in last 6 games. Horendous mistakes, turning back on a player in the box, leaving holes and following wrong man, showing players inside and failing to attack crosses. These mistakes cost us at least 6-8 points over that last 6 matches.[/quote]

he''s actually equally as comfortable in both positions, it''s easier when introducing a young defender into the senior side to play him at full back, look at Mancienne and Stearman at Wolves, both very good young players who over the past couple of years initially played at full back before then moving into the centre.

..."he''s actually equally as comfortable in both positions,"

Roeder thinks so. Southgate doesn''t!

Either way I''m not saying I''m not pleased he is here. He did a good job last time. I am just hoping GR gets another body in and sends Doherty back to the bench...One can dream.

[quote user="Bigus"]

Either way I''m not saying I''m not pleased he is here. He did a good job last time. I am just hoping GR gets another body in and sends Doherty back to the bench...One can dream.

[/quote]

Send Doherty to the bench? You''re joking, surely?

We''d be well and truly f*cked without him.

[quote user="Bigus"]

[/quote]

got any proof other than the fact he hasn''t played ahead of Wheater, Pogatetz, Riggott or Huth at centre back before the age of 21 but has played full back where he is also comfortable and is an easier position to play inexperienced defenders

[quote user="Bigus"]But.......Grounds is a LEFT BACK. He has no CB experience at Boro''. Not moaning, from past experience, we know he is better there than Omozusi but still, we need two dedicated CBs. We are in the mess we find ourselves in of recent, purely because of the retarded defending that allowed 8 (of 11) ridiculous, soft goals in last 6 games. Horendous mistakes, turning back on a player in the box, leaving holes and following wrong man, showing players inside and failing to attack crosses. These mistakes cost us at least 6-8 points over that last 6 matches.[/quote]i think the mistakes are inevitable when we''re under the cosh.

[quote user="JohnoBono"]So Glenn, why do you play Russell up front and leave Lupoli on the bench. Why are you the first manager to believe Sibierski is a target man. Why replace Huckerby who played on the left wing with a right sided midfieder. Why did you drop Huckerby for Henry last season. Why do have played Pattison right midfield...................[/quote]

You''ve barely scratched the surface with the sh*te moves made by Roeder!

His lack of man management skills and pi*s poor motivational skills make him totally unsuitable for a football manager!

Roeder out!

"got any proof other than the fact he hasn''t played ahead of Wheater, Pogatetz, Riggott or Huth at centre back before the age of 21 but has played full back where he is also comfortable and is an easier position to play inexperienced defenders"

No matey I haven''t, but I have looked and cannot find a trace of evidence to support a theory that he has.

As for Doherty, go back and watch some recent highlights. His lack of pace kills us, he turns players inside AND he turns his back on forwards in the box. That''s just criminal. He can attack the ball well in the air and that makes him look better than he actually is.

All I am saying is that we need the stability of  2 CBs with a little pace and common sense. That''s all. The mistakes are embarrassing ones.

[quote user="Bigus"]

As for Doherty, go back and watch some recent highlights. His lack of pace kills us, he turns players inside AND he turns his back on forwards in the box. That''s just criminal. He can attack the ball well in the air and that makes him look better than he actually is.

All I am saying is that we need the stability of  2 CBs with a little pace and common sense. That''s all. The mistakes are embarrassing ones.

[/quote]

Go to Carrow Road and watch Gary Doherty. See how often he actually gets beaten for pace.

I think most people who watch Norwich regularly know that Gary Doherty isn''t likely to get done for pace.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]“Elliott has stepped in and had his moments when he''s done particularly

well and there are times where he''s shown his inexperience, as he did

against Forest. But those two boys are full-backs, who are honest lads,

trying to do a job in a different position. But really you want round

pegs in round holes.”what about the front line!?[/quote]Good point - he probably wasn''t aware of the shortage of good strikers at the club. I hope he''s reading this so he can benefit from your insight (cue Lupoli refrences?).

[quote user="Bigus"]I have been going to Carrow Road since 1982.  Re: Doherty. We shall have to agree to disagree. He is often left chasing air.[/quote]I''m not saying he is Carl Lewis but there are far slower (and far worse) centre backs around!

[quote user="Bigus"]I have been going to Carrow Road since 1982.  Re: Doherty. We shall have to agree to disagree. He is often left chasing air.[/quote]So why end you point with another argumentative statement about a former player of the year? To be honest, Doc is our only centre back at the moment and is doing well considering his partner in defense is always changing. He''s doing an decent job right now in a team thats constantly changing. And what does it matter in your point that you''ve been coming to Carrow Road since 1982? 

[quote user="jimidack"][quote user="Bigus"]I have been going to Carrow Road since 1982.  Re: Doherty. We shall have to agree to disagree. He is often left chasing air.[/quote]So why end you point with another argumentative statement about a former player of the year? To be honest, Doc is our only centre back at the moment and is doing well considering his partner in defense is always changing. He''s doing an decent job right now in a team thats constantly changing. And what does it matter in your point that you''ve been coming to Carrow Road since 1982?  [/quote]I disagree with Bigus about Docherty but to be fair it was suggested by the poster to whom he was responding that he didn''t attend many games.

[quote user="Badger"][quote user="jimidack"][quote user="Bigus"]I have been going to Carrow Road since 1982.  Re: Doherty. We shall have to agree to disagree. He is often left chasing air.[/quote]So why end you point with another argumentative statement about a former player of the year? To be honest, Doc is our only centre back at the moment and is doing well considering his partner in defense is always changing. He''s doing an decent job right now in a team thats constantly changing. And what does it matter in your point that you''ve been coming to Carrow Road since 1982?  [/quote]I disagree with Bigus about Docherty but to be fair it was suggested by the poster to whom he was responding that he didn''t attend many games.[/quote]I''ve haven''t been to a huge amount of games, what with my degree et all but I still think he is looking for the errors (as i once did) without focusing on what Doc does well too much. Fair point none the less!

Jim,  It was a response to the previous post suggesting I should go to Carrow Rd to see Doherty. 

It''s my opinion and I am entitled to it no? He is doing a decent job in your opinion. I see it differently. He has been responsible for a few goals in the last few games. He is efficient in the air,  but useless on the ground, he cannot play the ball out from the back and he shows players inside. He is also slow. If you like him that''s fine. Your prerogative.  There is a reason we have leaked as many goals as we have recently and while we have played 9 separate cb partnerships this season, Doherty is not excluded from the blame as previous partnerships without him leaked far fewer!

[quote user="jimidack"][quote user="Badger"][quote user="jimidack"][quote user="Bigus"]I have been going to Carrow Road since 1982.  Re: Doherty. We shall have to agree to disagree. He is often left chasing air.[/quote]So why end you point with another argumentative statement about a former player of the year? To be honest, Doc is our only centre back at the moment and is doing well considering his partner in defense is always changing. He''s doing an decent job right now in a team thats constantly changing. And what does it matter in your point that you''ve been coming to Carrow Road since 1982?  [/quote]I disagree with Bigus about Docherty but to be fair it was suggested by the poster to whom he was responding that he didn''t attend many games.[/quote]I''ve haven''t been to a huge amount of games, what with my degree et all but I still think he is looking for the errors (as i once did) without focusing on what Doc does well too much. Fair point none the less![/quote]I agree about Docherty. I think he is quite a good centre back. You know that you will get errors sometimes but he does a lot of good stuff in between. Defenders that never make errors arelikely to be in the Premier.Good luck with the degree!

Doherty is a good defender. Especially at this level, he''s one of the better central defenders in our league.

I think the suggestion he''s slow or doesn''t have pace is pretty ridiculous. It''s rare that you seem him done for pace, it''s one of those things people think they see because they don''t like him. It''s not actually the case.

Like in the recent home game against Forest, Nathan Tyson, one of the quickest and most powerful runners in our league, tried to run him a couple of times and couldn''t do it. Which is usually the case.

If people knew what they were watching then they might say Doherty is slow on the turn. That''d be more the case. He''s not slow across the turf though, that''s obvious.

[quote user="Bigus"]

Jim,  It was a response to the previous post suggesting I should go to Carrow Rd to see Doherty. 

It''s my opinion and I am entitled to it no? He is doing a decent job in your opinion. I see it differently. He has been responsible for a few goals in the last few games. He is efficient in the air,  but useless on the ground, he cannot play the ball out from the back and he shows players inside. He is also slow. If you like him that''s fine. Your prerogative.  There is a reason we have leaked as many goals as we have recently and while we have played 9 separate cb partnerships this season, Doherty is not excluded from the blame as previous partnerships without him leaked far fewer!

[/quote]Bigus, my dear fellow. I''m not telling you cannot have an opinion just simply stating mine. And maybe that your evaluation is a bit exaggerated, but I cannot argue with fact that previous partnerships have been more successful. But then again 3 out of City''s 4 clean sheets have been with Doc in I believe, to be honest I''d rather have him right now than too many loan players, he is a good short term fix but if we are looking to move up, he may not be the man to do so! He tries with decent success but after a while we will need more!

[quote user="GJP"]

Doherty is a good defender. Especially at this level, he''s one of the better central defenders in our league.

I think the suggestion he''s slow or doesn''t have pace is pretty ridiculous. It''s rare that you seem him done for pace, it''s one of those things people think they see because they don''t like him. It''s not actually the case.

Like in the recent home game against Forest, Nathan Tyson, one of the quickest and most powerful runners in our league, tried to run him a couple of times and couldn''t do it. Which is usually the case.

If people knew what they were watching then they might say Doherty is slow on the turn. That''d be more the case. He''s not slow across the turf though, that''s obvious.

[/quote]

Absolutely!

The Doc even outpaced Earnie in the Forest game. Without him that day we could of conceded 6 as he was covering for his other 3 defender team mates!

Compare this with the over rated Kennedy getting outpaced by Kuqi in the Palace home game!

The Doc has often been a fans scapegoat and I''ll admit hes had his horrors but his good games far outweigh the bad ones!

The Doc has been comfortably our CB this year!

Jim,

I''d rather have two permanent defenders who are not a short term fix, but I hear ya.

As for the pace, "ridiculous''" is far from the truth. "beat Tyson for Pace against Forest? " What about Forest away? He was left in the dust by Tyson on 3 occassions and sent off on 20 mins after hacking down Tyson who was in front of him.

Anyway. It''s my opinion but I think he makes too many mistakes.

-Bigus

[quote user="Bigus"]

Jim,

I''d rather have two permanent defenders who are not a short term fix, but I hear ya.

As for the pace, "ridiculous''" is far from the truth. "beat Tyson for Pace against Forest? " What about Forest away? He was left in the dust by Tyson on 3 occassions and sent off on 20 mins after hacking down Tyson who was in front of him.

-Bigus

[/quote]It''s nice to have a football discussion on here - rather than the usual rant!

[quote user="Bigus"]

Jim,

-Bigus

[/quote]

Well, fair enough. I''m not saying he doesn''t make mistakes. He does. But as they say...that''s why these players are in the Championship, not the Premier League.

Just as long as you''re not one of these muppets that gets on his case during the game for every little thing.

I don''t dislike Doherty at all, I just think we should have better. It''s extremely frustrating to see those soft goals go in. Especially at Palace, farcical.

Anyway we shall see what GR brings in and what he does. I just hope he sticks with the 5 man midfield and gives Lupoli a chance in front of it.

-Bigus