Sign in to follow this  
norfolkchance1

Ourselves and Sheffield United

I was thinking about Norwich''s current situation as a whole compared to that of Sheffield United and their recent paths have been very similar when you look at their recent histories. The clubs are of a similar size (although ground capacity is bigger) and I believe the fans ambitions are quite similar.

Both clubs were relegated from the premiership at a similar time the first time around and they also both took a long time to get back, in fact I think that both at one stage were the clubs who had been in the championship for the longest period of time without promotion or relegation.

Both clubs got to a play off final and lost yet kept their manager and were able to make a sustained push 2 or 3 years later at automatic promotion which they achieved.

Both clubs then got into the premiership keeping the large majority of their squad and narrowly failing to stay up- due to varying reasons, and coming back down after one season.

Both clubs built /building hotel, although theirs is outside stadium.

Since then though Sheffield United are able to spend money on players like James Beattie and hold onto the majority of their squad. I know Sheffield United have a top financial bloke as chairman but they also made some important decisions such as managerial changes and weren''t afraid to pull the blug i.e. with Robson quickly if they thought the plan wasn''t going correctly.

This is where I think the difference lies, I don''t believe they would be allowing the club to be in the position they are in the league without wanting to know the reasons why.

They also have a property development arm linked to them that has made substantial cash (£17m last year!). 

Their approach to marketing is wholly based on the late lamented Andrew Cullen''s work at Norwich.  How do I know - living in the shadow of Bramall Lane I receive all their community based marketing literature which as a Memeber of norwich I receive similar stuff from them.  Swap red and white for yellow and green and some of the place names and the two would be identical!

Finally in the Sheffield Star today, Croft and Lita are still high on manageer Blackwell''s list.  But Blackwell has to get rid first as the directors are concerned that their salary bill is probably the highest in the CCC - selling Beattie and Kenny though should soon bring that down by all accounts.

sheffield utd missed out on playoffs last year

and look like playoffs at best this year

undercahieving massieivly with the biggest squad talent in the league