Sign in to follow this  
Canary Boy

Could we not have got Nigel Clough?

Nigel Clough is a decent manager and a decent bloke. However he is a conference manager, and you would have been moaning non stop if we''d appointed someone with such little experience. The only reason you''ve even heard of him is because of his old man.

[quote user="Fuglestad"]Nigel Clough is a decent manager and a decent bloke. However he is a conference manager, and you would have been moaning non stop if we''d appointed someone with such little experience. The only reason you''ve even heard of him is because of his old man.[/quote]

Perfectly put Sir.  Success at a lower level is no guarantee it can be replicated in higher divisions - something those advocating Paul Ince for us might want to keep in mind.

It makes me laugh how Nigel Clough has quietly managed Burton Albion for ten years with only the smallest mention every now and then.

All of a sudden he''s linked with every vacant manager position in the press, and all over 606 phone ins. His PR guy/agent obviously has instruction to look for a move.

[quote user="Jonzey"]

It makes me laugh how Nigel Clough has quietly managed Burton Albion for ten years with only the smallest mention every now and then.

All of a sudden he''s linked with every vacant manager position in the press, and all over 606 phone ins. His PR guy/agent obviously has instruction to look for a move.

[/quote]

He made a pretty decent start as Derby boss last night, but I agree that his total lack of experience would have led to howls of derision had we appointed him, had his surname not been Clough.

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="Jonzey"]

[/quote]

He made a pretty decent start as Derby boss last night, but I agree that his total lack of experience would have led to howls of derision had we appointed him, had his surname not been Clough.

[/quote]don''t want to be pickey ,but he wasn''t manager last night...just sat in the stands

Oh he''s actually gone to Derby? My radar missed that one!

Obviously his PR man/agent did what was asked of him.

[quote user="Fuglestad"]Nigel Clough is a decent manager and a decent bloke. However he is a conference manager, and you would have been moaning non stop if we''d appointed someone with such little experience. The only reason you''ve even heard of him is because of his old man.[/quote]

Oh what short memories we all have on here. Wasn’t Martin O’Neill a conference manager for more than half his five years at Wycombe, before he joined Norwich? And how is he doing now as a manager?

And has anyone considered that one of the reason Nigel Clough joined Derby was that he would not have to move house?

im sure alot of people have heard of nigel , unfortunately i dont hink he will be as good as his dad,

he has more experience that grant had before we appointed him, and im sure he ccould spot cheap raw talent.

he couldnt do much worse than roeder,we will be lucky if roeder leaves us with any players at all .

[quote user="Tim Allman"]

And has anyone considered that one of the reason Nigel Clough joined Derby was that he would not have to move house?

[/quote]Bingo.........and with this Tim you have probably nailed one of the reasons we struggle to get guys down here.

[quote user="Canary Boy"]Could we not have got Nigel Clough? Did the board not even consider that?[/quote]Another idiot just looking to have a pop at the club for the sake of it.Pathetic.

[quote user="singing canary"]we strugle to get players here , or stay here or be happy here , for one simple reason the muppet in charge,[/quote]It must be nice living in your simple little world.

why is that simple??? its actually true , how many players have we had here since roeder has been in charge..

isnt that why they call him the tinker man , hardly going to be successfull if the players arnt given much of a chance to get to know each other.

isnt simple mate , its blatantly obvious.

[quote user="singing canary"]

why is that simple??? its actually true , how many players have we had here since roeder has been in charge..

isnt that why they call him the tinker man , hardly going to be successfull if the players arnt given much of a chance to get to know each other.

[/quote]You are mixing up cause, effect and implication. In wanting a simple answer to why we are where we are you have latched onto Roeder as the sole cause. In fact location & lack of money are both significant. Norwich is miles from anywhere and a bit of a backwater. The club is skint. Did you not stop to think that both of these are in fact significant. When Roeder arrived the cupboard was bare and we were bottom. With both the loan signings of Taylor last year and Lita this you would be hard pushed to say they were not inspired pieces of business. Clingan, Bell & Hoolihan are all tidy signings. The club is probably 7 players short of what is required. How is Roeder supposed to fill this gap with no money?

[quote user="Canary Boy"]Could we not have got Nigel Clough? Did the board not even consider that?[/quote]

Would have liked that. Cloughie Senior is my favourite ever sportsman. But apart from that hes had Burton challenging for a few years now and they currently sit comfortably top of the conference. I wish his son all the best at Derby, i hope he does his dad proud.

[quote user="Duffman"][quote user="Canary Boy"]Could we not have got Nigel Clough? Did the board not even consider that?[/quote]Another idiot just looking to have a pop at the club for the sake of it.Pathetic.[/quote]

You really are a prat! All I suggest is the possibility of going for a decent manager that could be within our reach and Duffman Duffy here jumps in with a cowardly, pathetic comment. It''s guys like you we don''t need on this forum, it''s depressing enough as it is without you hanging around like a bad smell!

I bet he''s really nice to the pizza delivery person.

[quote user="Canary Boy"][quote user="Duffman"][quote user="Canary Boy"]Could we not have got Nigel Clough? Did the board not even consider that?[/quote]Another idiot just looking to have a pop at the club for the sake of it.Pathetic.[/quote]

You really are a prat! All I suggest is the possibility of going for a decent manager that could be within our reach and Duffman Duffy here jumps in with a cowardly, pathetic comment. It''s guys like you we don''t need on this forum, it''s depressing enough as it is without you hanging around like a bad smell![/quote]Well if you will start a pathetic post then you should be prepared for pathetic responses.Its actually people like you that we don''t need on this forum, you just bring the average down.

[quote user="BigFish"][quote user="singing canary"]

[/quote]

You are mixing up cause, effect and implication. In wanting a simple answer to why we are where we are you have latched onto Roeder as the sole cause. In fact location & lack of money are both significant. Norwich is miles from anywhere and a bit of a backwater. The club is skint. Did you not stop to think that both of these are in fact significant.

When Roeder arrived the cupboard was bare and we were bottom. With both the loan signings of Taylor last year and Lita this you would be hard pushed to say they were not inspired pieces of business. Clingan, Bell & Hoolihan are all tidy signings. The club is probably 7 players short of what is required. How is Roeder supposed to fill this gap with no money?

[/quote]

I agree, he''s making the most of his budget. The ever growing problem I have with Roeder is his public relations management, the guy is clearly not a ''people'' person, which is always bad for a manager!

As for Nigel Clough, he has one gargantuan pair of shoes to try and fill. Good luck to the guy, he''ll need it at a very similar club to Norwich.

Duffer, what is pathetic about suggestions for up and coming young manager''s with potential?

Can you not answer a simple question without name-calling or being prejudice? You''re nasty response is reflective of a pre-judgmental attitude and those type of people or not wanted on here.

Go join a back-stabbing forum where you''ll be welcome, not here!

[quote user="Canary Boy"]Duffer, what is pathetic about suggestions for up and coming young manager''s with potential?

Can you not answer a simple question without name-calling or being prejudice? You''re nasty response is reflective of a pre-judgmental attitude and those type of people or not wanted on here.

Go join a back-stabbing forum where you''ll be welcome, not here![/quote]Up and coming, who had been stuck in the Conference and lower with Burton?  It''s a gamble that Derby have taken, and one which wont necessarily pay off.

Only Derby or Forest would consider appointing Clough due to the lift it would give their club/supporters. His appointment will probably be the shot in the arm needed to steer them to safety. This is exactly what we need by appointing Boothroyd or a Bowen/crook partnership, but Roeder has to go first!!

the thing with Nigel clough is that, although highly rated by some in the game, he has actually acheived very little... apart from not disgracing themselves against man yoo in the FA cup a few years ago just what have Burton done under him...

Mid table in the conference for years.. a team that hasnt moved forwards and smaller clubs, such as the daggers and accrington have finished higher and played league football....

says something to me...

jas :)

[quote user="singing canary"]

[/quote]They don''t call him the tinkerman though do they.