Sign in to follow this  
Duffman

One less player to worry about tomorrow.....

"Premier League side Stoke City have agreed a fee believed to be around £2.5m for Sheffield United striker James Beattie, BBC Radio Stoke reports.

It is understood that Beattie visited the Britannia Stadium on Friday to discuss terms over a possible move.

The former England international, 30, who joined the Blades for £4m from Everton in 2007, has scored 12 goals in the Championship this season."

Can''t be right. Our keyboard accountants always tell us if you invest in decent players you will make a profit on them, not lose £1.5m! 

This does seem quite cheap. I think that Beattie and Etherington will be good signings for Stoke. They are building a team that is good enough (with a bit of luck) to stay up, but if not then they will be top Championship players if they do come down.

[quote user="we8wba"]

good

sheff utd team i was fearing for the playoff should we slip out automatics

[/quote]What do you mean "should"?"YOWV LERUZZDOWAN AGAYN"

what a ''stoke'' of luck! I can see roeder grinning from ear to ear with this piece of news...Beattie in this league is a quality player, a real handful and has certaintly increased our chances of getting something out of the match if indeed he''s not playing for the blades tommorrow!

Frankly lappinitup, though I rarely agree with your comments, I understand your stance from past posts.

I would rather look to Sheff Utd board for their attitude than ours!

In fact should our club continue with it''s long standing philosophy, we really will be ''doomed I tell ya doomed''

all sorts of rumours flying around now in yorkshire that lita is to sign for the blades with kitson also linked with a move in the opposite direction.

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]Frankly lappinitup, though I rarely agree with your comments, I understand your stance from past posts. I would rather look to Sheff Utd board for their attitude than ours! In fact should our club continue with it''s long standing philosophy, we really will be ''doomed I tell ya doomed''[/quote]

Really? Can you spot the difference?

Kevin McCabe has turned Sheffield United into a diversified property and leisure services enterprise which is leveraged around the football club.

[quote user="lappinitup"]

"Premier League side Stoke City have agreed a fee believed to be around £2.5m for Sheffield United striker James Beattie, BBC Radio Stoke reports.

It is understood that Beattie visited the Britannia Stadium on Friday to discuss terms over a possible move.

The former England international, 30, who joined the Blades for £4m from Everton in 2007, has scored 12 goals in the Championship this season."

Can''t be right. Our keyboard accountants always tell us if you invest in decent players you will make a profit on them, not lose £1.5m! 

[/quote]

Yep, you see you amortise the transfer fee over the legth of the contract.  If he was on a three year contract, he is about half way through it now, so the value remaining is only £2 million.  Get £2.5 million in a transfer and you''ve made a profit of £0.5 million. 

On the football side though it makes no sense at all unless Beattie had an Etuhu / Earnshaw clause allowing him to move to a Premier team.  With him United would surely have been play-off contenders, without him they have no real consistent firepower (certainly no penalty taker).  So see Lita heading to United pdq?

luvvly jubbly for all the other sides if Beattie goes and Lita doesn''t - see the Blades drop like a stone because my Blades fans say that without Beattie''s goals they are a poor side.

Sets it up nicely tomorrow - two sets of fans singing "You don''t know what you''re doing" to both sets of manageers and boards!!!  Bring it on!

[quote user="shefcanary"]Yep, you see you amortise the transfer fee over the legth of the contract.  If he was on a three year contract, he is about half way through it now, so the value remaining is only £2 million.  Get £2.5 million in a transfer and you''ve made a profit of £0.5 million.[/quote]I think I''ve got it now. So, when the scum (for example) bought Serini for £5m then let him go for free they actually made a £2m profit! Our lot don''t know what they''re doing....BOARD OUT! [:S]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="shefcanary"]Yep, you see you amortise the transfer fee over the legth of the contract.  If he was on a three year contract, he is about half way through it now, so the value remaining is only £2 million.  Get £2.5 million in a transfer and you''ve made a profit of £0.5 million.[/quote]I think I''ve got it now. So, when the scum (for example) bought Serini for £5m then let him go for free they actually made a £2m profit! Our lot don''t know what they''re doing....BOARD OUT! [:S][/quote]

Err, don''t quite follow that, but basically, yep,with the right accounting policy it is always possible to turn a loss into a profit, just as long as the auditors agree with you!!!  Just ask Enron and Andersons.

Always thought he was a slow, fat lump of lard personally!

Somehow seemed to score goals, mostly pens tho!

Sorry Delia S. Tickers my mac can''t show quotes but referring to your response I suggest that most Sheff U fans are quite happy with the progress of their club.

I wish I could say the same about ours.

Never mind Delia is a good stick so let''s have no moaning eh?

Must go. Off to Sheff U tomorrow. have a bit of a laugh on the way up there and prior to the game.... and then.... and then......???