Sign in to follow this  
canary cherub

Beware Misleading Headlines

"Hoolahan Going Nowhere: Roeder"

Read the article and he doesn''t say anything of the sort.

Hoolahan may still be here at the end of the window and he may not.  If he isn''t, fans will jump on this headline to accuse Roeder of lying.

This is the sort of headline that just fuels the fans'' hatred.  Why do you do it, Archant? 

Bit like the front page of the EDP today which says ''''Lita could go to Ipswich'''' then when you read the story on the back page he hasn''t spoken to Ipswich!!

[quote user="Potless Percy "]

"Hoolahan Going Nowhere: Roeder"

Read the article and he doesn''t say anything of the sort.

Hoolahan may still be here at the end of the window and he may not.  If he isn''t, fans will jump on this headline to accuse Roeder of lying.

This is the sort of headline that just fuels the fans'' hatred.  Why do you do it, Archant? 

[/quote]

Misleading headlines in the local press.........God forbid!

[:O]

[quote user="cityangel"]Bit like the front page of the EDP today which says ''''Lita could go to Ipswich'''' then when you read the story on the back page he hasn''t spoken to Ipswich!![/quote]That doesn''t mean he couldn''t go to Ipswich, though. Technically, he could go to the moon... [;)]

Newspapers and misleading headlines is hardly a new phenomenon!

At the end of the day, they''re in the business of writing whatever will sell the most copies.

[quote user="cityangel"]Bit like the front page of the EDP today which says ''''Lita could go to Ipswich'''' then when you read the story on the back page he hasn''t spoken to Ipswich!![/quote]To be fair, the other major news in the County was the child that lost her mittens so we need to cut Archant some slack.

[quote user="Titanic"]Or what about ''Clark isn''t leaving he hasn''t been for an interview''.[/quote]

The Eastern Daily Press story on Hoolahan was what is known technically in the trade as made up cover your ass just in case it turns out to be right stuff.  The EDP went through the formality (as I understand) of ringing the Norwich City press office from which they would have received the "automated" reply of Norwich City press office (as with most soccer clubs) during this wonderful transfer "break": "We never discuss transfer speculation on players either leaving or joining the club" so we gave the gang a miss (sorry Gemma et al - you know we love you all, really)

Someone punted to The Sun that the former Blackpool manager would be going for his "former stars" and for a couple of contributed pars they went for it............

The Girl Upstairs read it, observed: "That looks like bollocks to me", didn''t bother with the City press office, picked up the phone to Hoolahan''s agent and got the response: "Really?  Christ, I''d better ring Leeds.  And him having just bought a house in Norfolk an'' all.  I hope I''ve approved this deal."

[:|]

As to Mr Roeder "news to me" quote re Mr Clark I doubt the EDP are going to explain this although they may not know it. I doubt Lee is going to explain it either from ''up and under'' land but here goes.

Huddersfield made an approach to Mr Clark outside of the transfer season.  They were drawing up a short list and fairly obviously you need to know if one of your "targets" is actually interested in the job.

So they rang him up and asked him if he was.   And obviously he said Yes.

Unhappily this constitutes an ILLEGAL approach (under FA and FL rules) but it goes on all the time and works splendidly if the person approached keeps their gob shut. 

Which Mr Clark did until Huddersfield decided he had got the job and then made the FORMAL approach to speak to him which you then granted and it then became all wonderfully above board and according to the Rules and Regulations everything was absolutely lovely..................

[:P]