Sign in to follow this  
In Dubious Battle

League Cup

Does anyone know the reason the semi finals of the league cup are over 2 legs when all other rounds aren''t? it doesn''t make much sense to me, it''s a shame because man u will probably thrash derby next time round.

[quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"]Does anyone know the reason the semi finals of the league cup are over 2 legs when all other rounds aren''t? it doesn''t make much sense to me, it''s a shame because man u will probably thrash derby next time round. [/quote]I think originally the League Cup was a totally two-legged competition, but due to fixture congestion they changed it to one leg. As for the semi-finals, I''m not sure why they were left as two-legged!

[quote user="Coelho"][quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"]Does anyone know the reason the semi finals of the league cup are over 2 legs when all other rounds aren''t? it doesn''t make much sense to me, it''s a shame because man u will probably thrash derby next time round. [/quote]I think originally the League Cup was a totally two-legged competition, but due to fixture congestion they changed it to one leg. As for the semi-finals, I''m not sure why they were left as two-legged![/quote]Otherwise it would fall over?Who knows, the League Cup is mostly pointless........ I miss the days when it was the Worthington Cup so that we could call it the Worthless Cup...

[quote user="Evil Monkey"][quote user="Coelho"][quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"]Does anyone know the reason the semi finals of the league cup are over 2 legs when all other rounds aren''t? it doesn''t make much sense to me, it''s a shame because man u will probably thrash derby next time round. [/quote]I think originally the League Cup was a totally two-legged competition, but due to fixture congestion they changed it to one leg. As for the semi-finals, I''m not sure why they were left as two-legged![/quote]Otherwise it would fall over?Who knows, the League Cup is mostly pointless........ I miss the days when it was the Worthington Cup so that we could call it the Worthless Cup...[/quote]It''s not as pointless as the Zenith Data Systems Cup, though... anyone remember that one?

[quote user="Evil Monkey"][quote user="Coelho"][quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"]Does anyone know the reason the semi finals of the league cup are over 2 legs when all other rounds aren''t? it doesn''t make much sense to me, it''s a shame because man u will probably thrash derby next time round.
[/quote]
I think originally the League Cup was a totally two-legged competition, but due to fixture congestion they changed it to one leg. As for the semi-finals, I''m not sure why they were left as two-legged!
[/quote]
Otherwise it would fall over?

Who knows, the League Cup is mostly pointless........ I miss the days when it was the Worthington Cup so that we could call it the Worthless Cup...
[/quote]

its so pointless that history books show us the likes of Man utd, Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea all winning it in recent seasons.. ok so they may play their reserves but then a list of past winners wont say that will it?

jas :)

[quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"]Does anyone know the reason the semi finals of the league cup are over 2 legs when all other rounds aren''t? it doesn''t make much sense to me, it''s a shame because man u will probably thrash derby next time round.
[/quote]

As stated it used to be two legged all the way through.  When it got changed to one legged, they then had the issue of comparability with the FA Cup where the semi-final is played on neutral ground.  There were:

• real issues of ground availability (for instance the clubs likely to have the biggest capcity for a semi-final would still be in other cup competitions and would not be in a position to make their ground available, particularly as the semi''s are played in the middle of a winter so the pitches would be subject to more wear and tear);
  • the semis also had to take place in mid-week because of the packed fixture list so fans would not necessarily be able to travel in large numbers to a neutral ground because of work.   

So they contniued the two legged principle to avoid the issue of ground neutrality. 

Although not totally pointless, the fact we''ve had just 2 quarter-finals in the last 24 years makes me realise why some Norwich fans aren''t too bothered by it.

Evil Monkey - [quote]Who knows, the League Cup is mostly pointless.[/quote]

I feel a tad sorry for you younger fans who will never know what it''s like to stand in a crowd of well over 30,000 at Carrow Road for a League Cup tie against WBA in the seventies.I guess the League Cup really meant something way back then, but then again, so did the game of football. I swear I only take an interest these days out of habit.

[quote user="shyster"]
Evil Monkey - [quote]Who knows, the League Cup is mostly pointless.[/quote]

I feel a tad sorry for you younger fans who will never know what it''s like to stand in a crowd of well over 30,000 at Carrow Road for a League Cup tie against WBA in the seventies.

I guess the League Cup really meant something way back then, but then again, so did the game of football.

I swear I only take an interest these days out of habit.
[/quote]

We really shouldn''t knock the League Cup. We''ve won it twice after all, and were runners up twice in it. We''ve won no other cup or appeared in any other cup final. I wish we would take the cup competitions more seriously. We might then be the team which got through to a FA Cup final, like Millwall and Cardiff have in recent years.

[quote user="Canary Poirot"]

[quote user="shyster"]Evil Monkey - [quote]Who knows, the League Cup is mostly pointless.[/quote]

I feel a tad sorry for you younger fans who will never know what it''s like to stand in a crowd of well over 30,000 at Carrow Road for a League Cup tie against WBA in the seventies.I guess the League Cup really meant something way back then, but then again, so did the game of football. I swear I only take an interest these days out of habit.[/quote]

We really shouldn''t knock the League Cup. We''ve won it twice after all, and were runners up twice in it. We''ve won no other cup or appeared in any other cup final. I wish we would take the cup competitions more seriously. We might then be the team which got through to a FA Cup final, like Millwall and Cardiff have in recent years.

[/quote]Agreed! Is a league cup later stage appearance a far more preferable way of raising the clubs profile, compared to a half-time drunken rant?

[quote user="JJ"]Although not totally pointless, the fact we''ve had just 2 quarter-finals in the last 24 years makes me realise why some Norwich fans aren''t too bothered by it.[/quote]Um... didn''t we win it in 1985?

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="JJ"]Although not totally pointless, the fact we''ve had just 2 quarter-finals in the last 24 years makes me realise why some Norwich fans aren''t too bothered by it.[/quote]Um... didn''t we win it in 1985?[/quote]Yes we did.[:D]And fortunately for us the semi final was over two legs.