Sign in to follow this  
Arthur Whittle

WHY SACK ROEDER-REASONS

Taken form the website www.roederout.co.uk

I think they make a good case........

Why Sack Glenn Roeder?

---Contempt for the fans---

We are arguably the most loyal fans in the land. Yet rather than treating us with the respect we deserve and have earned, Roeder''s more likely to slap you in the face. He regularly makes digs at us and has publically stated that we think we are geniuses, yet implied we were stupid. Well, we''ve been here a lot longer than you and have seen plenty of managers come and go and most people are of the opinion that you are among the stupidest. Perhaps even the most stupid.

---The Huckerby Saga---

Refusing Huckerby a new contract at the end of last season was one of the single most stupid actions a football manager has ever made. Granted, he wasn''t performing to the same level as he once did, but he was still one of the top performers last year and our most dangerous threat. He''ll have us believe he was released for footballing reasons, stating that he had a couple of players targetted who play in his position and are a bit younger. Would that be the RIGHT-sided midfielder David Bell? Who if rumours are to be believed is on his way to Coventry? Or Wes Hoolahan, obviously more effective in a central role than on the left, who may also be heading out of carrow road to Leeds? Neither have reached Huckerby''s level of performance , so his judgement has been shown to be terrible in this instance. Unless he was released for others reasons. Roeder cannot handle big-name players, nor does he wish to have anyone in his squad who holds affection with the Canary faithful. A far more plausible and believeable reason, if you ask me.

---The Loan Policy---

The loan system can be used to bring in quality players without the hassle of transfer fees, and can be an enormous benefit. However, the way Roeder has used it is proving more more destructive than constructive. He has wasted wages (and probably loan fees) on the likes of Koroma and Archibald-Henville. Sibierski has so far been an expensive waste of space and not the target man he was on about. Bertrand, whilst quality last season, has been awful and fills a position that we have Adam Drury and Simon Lappin to play in. He favours his loan-rangers over players we actually own and if the likes of Drury and Otsemobor decide to leave to seek regular action, we''ll soon be left without any contracted players.

---Scouting Players and Arturo Lupoli---

Does Roeder actually watch players or have them scouted before signing them? What the hell was Koroma and Archibald-Henville all about? And Lupoli, who boasts one of the best goals-to-game ratios, can''t get a look in a side who are struggling in front of goal. Roeder tells us it is down to his pace and physique. So what was Lupoli before we signed him? 6ft 7, 18 stone and quicker than Linford Christie?

---Team Selection and Substitutions---

Rarely will Roeder select a starting eleven that does not raise a few eyebrows from the fans. He''ll regularly drop players most people would be starting regularly (Lupoli and Russell) usually in favour of his own signings (Pattison, for example). His substitutions are equally baffling, when he has the courage to make them. Perhaps he''s better taking the advice of the fans, after they called for Lupoli to come on against Charlton, he scored the equaliser. Despite saying that fans calling for a certain player to come of the bench is more likely to deter him from bringing them on. Perhaps then we should chant for Fotheringham, next time he is on the bench.

---Fotheringham and the Captaincy---

Players look to their captain for positive influence and to lead by example. If they all followed Fotheringham''s example then we''d never see a forward pass at Carrow Road again. Yet, despite being one of our worst players, Roeder persistently defends him to the hilt, even labelling the fans "disappointing" because of their treatment of him. He also refused to commit to the club for longer than twelve months. Just the sort of dedication you look for in a captain.

---Cosying up to Premier League Managers---

At times it appears as though our esteemed gaffer is more interested in making friends with Premiership bosses than he is the welfare of Norwich City Football Club. He regularly selects his loan-rangers where an actual Norwich player would be more suitable. The most abysmal example of this was probably last season when that right wing wonder James Henry was selected over Darren Huckerby on the left. And this season, an awful Bertrand seems immune from being dropped, despite Drury chomping at the bit to get on the field. Maybe he actually believes these players are better? That''s probably more worrying. But it is far more likely his actions are driven more by a desire to stay on Arsene Wenger and Roy Hodgson''s Christmas card list than it is by his own judgement. You could understand bringing on youth if we were to see the benefit but this will not be the case.

---Ruining our Prospects---

Chris Martin, Mickey Spillane and Joe Lewis. It wasn''t too long ago that we were looking forward to three promising careers to come from our own Academy. Roeder loaned out two to Luton, without a recall if rumours are to be believed. He sold Joe Lewis for £400,000, who was then almost instantly linked with Man Utd and called up to the England squad. His reluctance to play our Academy prospects when he''ll so freely throw a Fulham reserve into the action is concerning. Would Ryan Bertrand make our starting eleven if he was in our Academy?

---Poor Man Management---

Man management, that critical managerial trait, seems to be lost on Glenn Roeder. He shattered the confidence of Jamie Cureton and publically slated him after nailing a hatrick (see 22 March article on the Articles page for an example) and heaped more praise on Charlton''s goalscorer than he did Lupoli after he saved us in the FA Cup 3rd Round.

---Unambitious Tactics---

I''ve been racking my brains and cannot think of another example, however I could still be wrong, but I believe Glenn Roeder is the only Norwich manager in the past decade or two to go into a game without a single recognised striker or forward in his eleven (December 2008''s game 2-0 defeat against Reading, and also the FA Cup game against Charlton if you rank Sibierski as an attacking-midfielder player, as many do). That particular game earnt Norwcih some damning criticism from Sky pundit Peter Beagrie (although Roeder would probably dismiss him as a stupid person not brave enough to try management).

---His Record---

Roeder is a one-man club wrecker, as his CV shows. Every club who appoint him in a managerial role ends up either relegated or languishing near the foot of the table. Check out the Roeder''s Record section for an elaboration of this point.

Think the numbers who would disagree are falling on a daily basis. I really don''t see any other option other than for him to leave, if this club is to more forward.

Putting "contempt for the fans" at the top shows a lack of class in my opinion, they should just stick to results - I''d set a target over the next 5 games and call for a protest if the target wasn''t reached if I were them.

I''m not compelled by a number of those points. Not because I don''t want to agree but because they''re not particularly well argued for. If the Roeder Out Brigade are hoping to get him out the door by reasoned argument then more work is definitely needed.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]Putting "contempt for the fans" at the top shows a lack of class in my opinion, they should just stick to results - I''d set a target over the next 5 games and call for a protest if the target wasn''t reached if I were them.
[/quote]

Something like : -

“We are determined to achieve success at Norwich City, and to that end we expect this situation to be rectified at our next home game on Sunday and at our next away game. We rely on our manager and squad to do this not only on behalf of our supporters but for the long-term future of the club.”

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="blahblahblah"]Putting "contempt for the fans" at the top shows a lack of class in my opinion, they should just stick to results - I''d set a target over the next 5 games and call for a protest if the target wasn''t reached if I were them.[/quote]

Something like : -

“We are determined to achieve success at Norwich City, and to that end we expect this situation to be rectified at our next home game on Sunday and at our next away game. We rely on our manager and squad to do this not only on behalf of our supporters but for the long-term future of the club.”

[/quote]That sounds a bit like the post-plymouth ultimatum to me [:)]

This is a very good post and everything you have said is correct and describes Roeder in a nutshell! He does have good contacts though, and got a good knack of getting some good (and some bad) loan signings here. If only we had the money, to sign one or two of them. The most annoying thing i find with Roeder is his team selections. He would rather play one of his few favourites out of positon than put someone who actually plays in that position. I think Roeder himself, is his own worst enemy! It''s a shame we couldn''t make him Director of Football(it would save on paying him off too) and bring in someone else to manage and pick the team.

[quote user="Lord Flashheart"]I''m not compelled by a number of those points. Not because I don''t want to agree but because they''re not particularly well argued for. If the Roeder Out Brigade are hoping to get him out the door by reasoned argument then more work is definitely needed.
[/quote]

On results and league position alone Lord, he has to go.

we have no players of our own ... and in a relegation dog fight , and have no money to bring in anyone , as hes blown it.

ample reason for delia to post out his p45.

[quote user="singing canary"]

do you think he reads any of this or his roederout site ...i think he should know , might upset him and leave then ..

[/quote]

We can but hope.

[quote user="Arturo Whittlupoli"][quote user="singing canary"]

do you think he reads any of this or his roederout site ...i think he should know , might upset him and leave then ..

[/quote]

We can but hope.

[/quote]

No chance he is not the type to listen or heed anyone except the voices in his own head.

When you know you are right nothing will change your mind!

Did Napoleon or Hitler admit they were wrong? It''s the voices I tell you arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

[quote user="Lord Flashheart"]I''m not compelled by a number of those points. Not because I don''t want to agree but because they''re not particularly well argued for. If the Roeder Out Brigade are hoping to get him out the door by reasoned argument then more work is definitely needed.[/quote]

[/quote]problem is though wizwhat was his task this season?was it to avoid relegation?. because as it stands, he is succeeding, just. so unless we know what his aim was, we cant know if he is underachieving...were amibitious i know but, we dont matter.

[quote user="missing in action"][quote user="1st Wizard"]

[quote user="Lord Flashheart"]I''m not compelled by a number of those points. Not because I don''t want to agree but because they''re not particularly well argued for. If the Roeder Out Brigade are hoping to get him out the door by reasoned argument then more work is definitely needed.
[/quote]

[/quote]
problem is though wiz
what was his task this season?
was it to avoid relegation?. because as it stands, he is succeeding, just.
so unless we know what his aim was, we cant know if he is underachieving...
were amibitious i know but, we dont matter.
[/quote]

Good call MIA

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

[quote user="Lord Flashheart"]I''m not compelled by a number of those points. Not because I don''t want to agree but because they''re not particularly well argued for. If the Roeder Out Brigade are hoping to get him out the door by reasoned argument then more work is definitely needed.[/quote]

[/quote]Ah, bless Wiz it is ALL Roeder''s fault and if we sack him it will be all right.He came here when we were bottom - Roeder''s fault.The club runs at a loss - Roeder''s fault.We don''t like him - Roeder''s fault (emm well yes on this one but it doesn''t really matter does it)We had a terrible squad when he arrived - RFHe hasn''t managed to sign the 7 or so senior players we need with no cash in the last 15 months.

[quote user="singing canary"]

[/quote]

This site lost all credibility for me in the "alternatives" section where the writers use unnecessary criticism of Scotland as a footballing nation and Scottish managers. Criticising Scotland is one thing but suggesting that Scotsmen do not make good football managers is frankly ludicrous.

Show me a website that puts their point across in an objective manner with valid, concise points then it might achieve some respect from me. This one merely expresses a subjective viewpoint with some silly asides that tarnishes it''s credibility.

I''m not necessarily a fan of Roeder either by the way.

Here''s one ''lets not sack Roeder reason'', from someone who isn''t his greatest fan.

We are one week into the transfer window and desperately need to get a couple or more players in to give us a better chance of surviving. Roeder will have started negotiations on these. If we sack him and take another two to three weeks to replace him, (let alone pay compensation), we will be well and truly stu**ed.

[quote user="if I promise to behave"]Here''s one ''lets not sack Roeder reason'', from someone who isn''t his greatest fan.

We are one week into the transfer window and desperately need to get a couple or more players in to give us a better chance of surviving. Roeder will have started negotiations on these. If we sack him and take another two to three weeks to replace him, (let alone pay compensation), we will be well and truly stu**ed.[/quote]Agreed - the transfer window keeps him here till March I reckon, after that results will.  I hope.

[quote user="if I promise to behave"]Here''s one ''lets not sack Roeder reason'', from someone who isn''t his greatest fan. We are one week into the transfer window and desperately need to get a couple or more players in to give us a better chance of surviving. Roeder will have started negotiations on these. If we sack him and take another two to three weeks to replace him, (let alone pay compensation), we will be well and truly stu**ed.[/quote]

Don''t be so silly! This isn''t the real world. It''s just a place where decisions are made without consequences.

Let''s just sack him and leave "what happens next" on "A Question Of Sport"

[;)]

Correct me if im wrong but didnt Roeder the ex England managerial master say his aim was the play offs? He also mentioned this squad was good enough to go up? Maybe it is but under him-never!

[quote user="if I promise to behave"]Sorry, my mistake! I''ll leave my views on Roeder as a better than average Youth Team Coach for another place as well then![/quote]

Sorry.. I was agreeing with you. Yours was a very good point in my view and one I have made a few times. There''s not enough thought to what happens next on these forums. By the time "what happens next" actually happens posters have had time to reform their views with hindsight. Trouble is if the decisions are made in the real world then you are stuck with them.

As has been pointed out it is too late and we live or die by Roeder for this season. By the time we get someone in (that is if we could get someone in of sufficient caliber in time) the window will be effectively shut. So lets face up to it, we stay up he keeps the gig - we go down he goes.

Nutty Nigel. Yes I know you were agreeing with me! My sarcastic response was partly to do with a nasty bout of flu, (which is why I am this Board during the working day) and partly because I too am fed up with posters who seem unable to get beyond this week''s gut feeling and witch hunt.

[/quote]

The evidence against Roeder is overwhelming despite people like you choosing to bury your heads in the sand!

A very good piece from a very good website!

[quote user="if I promise to behave"]Here''s one ''lets not sack Roeder reason'', from someone who isn''t his greatest fan. We are one week into the transfer window and desperately need to get a couple or more players in to give us a better chance of surviving. Roeder will have started negotiations on these. If we sack him and take another two to three weeks to replace him, (let alone pay compensation), we will be well and truly stu**ed.[/quote]

You''ve a point that getting rid of the t*at would severely disrupt our transfer window but Roeder himself soon got players when he came in so that wouldn''t be impossible.

Also think of the possibility that getting rid of Mr Unmotivator whos rubs everyone up the wrong way would have a positive effect on the club and players would start performing!

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

The evidence against Roeder is overwhelming despite people like you choosing to bury your heads in the sand!

[/quote]I never said that I wanted Roeder in, I merely said that I am not convinved by the arguments presented on that site. If you can''t even understand the opinions of others, how do you expect to convince others that you''re right? [:S]