Sign in to follow this  
Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB

A solution to our financial woes

Our financial plight is well documented, and as we all know we have no money to compete with the "big boys" of the Championship (I am talking about Blackpool and Barnsley here). It has since emerged that our neighbours down the A140 are also in the financial mire.

The answer is simple, Norwich City and Ipswich Town should pool resources and merge into one club/team, we could be called Iceni United. The two grounds could be sold, one of the training grounds sold, the back office functions merged/rationalised, surplus players/coaches sold etc etc. A new purpose built stadium could be in the Diss area.

What would emerge would be a lean organisation, with a large fanbase, and a half decent team.

You may mock this idea, but it makes sound financial sense....... 

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]

Our financial plight is well documented, and as we all know we have no money to compete with the "big boys" of the Championship (I am talking about Blackpool and Barnsley here). It has since emerged that our neighbours down the A140 are also in the financial mire.

The answer is simple, Norwich City and Ipswich Town should pool resources and merge into one club/team, we could be called Iceni United. The two grounds could be sold, one of the training grounds sold, the back office functions merged/rationalised, surplus players/coaches sold etc etc. A new purpose built stadium could be in the Diss area.

What would emerge would be a lean organisation, with a large fanbase, and a half decent team.

[/quote]

hilarious stuff... this post crops up every coup0le of years.. always worth a chuckle

jas :)

[/quote]

Why not, at least we might stand a chance of getting to the Premier League and staying there and also win something for once.[Y]

[/quote]Not only does It make financial sense but as I live in the Diss area it cut down on my commute! I have no problems with this idea.... as long as "Iceni United" play in yellow and green and, are affectionalty known as the canaries (after Boadicea''s penchant for little fellas of course!)

I''m sure someone will know the answer - as a matter of interest, what were the "borders" of Iceni dominance/ influence?

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

The Sc*m would consider it as long as Glen Roedernowhere has nowt to do with it!

Roeder out!

[/quote]I think it would be a tough choice, Roeder or Magilton as Gaffer of the Mighty Iceni?

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

The Sc*m would consider it as long as Glen Roedernowhere has nowt to do with it!

Roeder out!

[/quote]A thougtful and stimulating and unexpected contribution.

[quote user="Badger"]I''m sure someone will know the answer - as a matter of interest, what were the "borders" of Iceni dominance/ influence?[/quote]I think they were pretty much stuck in Norfolk, was it somewhere round Caistor? Might be wrong..

LOL Nice idea. Not too sure about Diss though.

Here is my starting line up!:

Wright

Volz    Stefanovic   McCauley    Thatcher

Norris   Clangan     Campo     Hoolhahan

Lupoli        Couanga

I know, I feel shame.

[quote user="The Huckerby Delusion"][quote user="Badger"]I''m sure someone will know the answer - as a matter of interest, what were the "borders" of Iceni dominance/ influence?[/quote]I think they were pretty much stuck in Norfolk, was it somewhere round Caistor? Might be wrong..[/quote]I''m not sure either but I didn''t think that it went as far as Ipswich either. I always had them marked in my mind as collaborators with the invaders based at Colchester. Of course, this could be prejudice...

[quote user="Badger"]I''m sure someone will know the answer - as a matter of interest, what were the "borders" of Iceni dominance/ influence?[/quote]Roughly speaking, the Iceni covered Norfolk, going a bit further west than King''s Lynn, towards Peterborough, and the Trinovantes covered Suffolk and Essex, down to the Thames.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Badger"]I''m sure someone will know the answer - as a matter of interest, what were the "borders" of Iceni dominance/ influence?[/quote]Roughly speaking, the Iceni covered Norfolk, going a bit further west than King''s Lynn, towards Peterborough, and the Trinovantes covered Suffolk and Essex, down to the Thames.[/quote]Thank you. Were relations between the Iceni and the Trinovantes friendly?

[quote user="Badger"][quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

Roeder out!

[/quote]

A thougtful and stimulating and unexpected contribution.
[/quote]

Just like the theme of this ridiculous thread which is even more ridiculous than the king of ridiculous GlenRoedernowhere!

[quote user="Badger"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Badger"]I''m sure someone will know the answer - as a matter of interest, what were the "borders" of Iceni dominance/ influence?[/quote]Roughly speaking, the Iceni covered Norfolk, going a bit further west than King''s Lynn, towards Peterborough, and the Trinovantes covered Suffolk and Essex, down to the Thames.[/quote]Thank you. Were relations between the Iceni and the Trinovantes friendly?[/quote]Probably friendlier than now! Truthfully you would need a real expert to answer that quickly, or for me to wage through my two (!) books on the subject. What I do know is that both tribes had lived reasonably harmoniously with the Romans. However when the Iceni rebelled against Roman rule, the Trinovantes joined them, taking part in the attacks on Colchester and London.Not sure this is working out too well as a football analogy!

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Badger"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Badger"]I''m sure someone will know the answer - as a matter of interest, what were the "borders" of Iceni dominance/ influence?[/quote]Roughly speaking, the Iceni covered Norfolk, going a bit further west than King''s Lynn, towards Peterborough, and the Trinovantes covered Suffolk and Essex, down to the Thames.[/quote]Thank you. Were relations between the Iceni and the Trinovantes friendly?[/quote]Probably friendlier than now! Truthfully you would need a real expert to answer that quickly, or for me to wage through my two (!) books on the subject. What I do know is that both tribes had lived reasonably harmoniously with the Romans. However when the Iceni rebelled against Roman rule, the Trinovantes joined them, taking part in the attacks on Colchester and London.Not sure this is working out too well as a football analogy![/quote]Well I suppose that the lesson to be learnt is that if Ipswich and Norwich combine forces we can beat Colchester!Unfortunately, this will be followed by tragic defeat in London and then the suicide of Boudicca. That last part, at least, would cheer up Smudger! (If we extend the history/ football metaphor further.)

It was Gordon Bennett who made the joke first, but it bears repeating. If Norwich and Ipswich were to merge and play at Diss there would only be one possible name for the team. Diss United!!   Boom-toosh. I thank you.Smile [:)]

[quote user="Badger"][quote user="The Huckerby Delusion"][quote user="Badger"]
I''m sure someone will know the answer - as a matter of interest, what were the "borders" of Iceni dominance/ influence?
[/quote]

I think they were pretty much stuck in Norfolk, was it somewhere round Caistor? Might be wrong..
[/quote]

I''m not sure either but I didn''t think that it went as far as Ipswich either. I always had them marked in my mind as collaborators with the invaders based at Colchester. Of course, this could be prejudice...
[/quote]

You are on your own with them collaborating with Colchester - this alleges Norfolk collaborated with them and then changed their mind.

The Iceni or Eceni were a Brythonic tribe who inhabited an area of Britain corresponding roughly to the modern-day county of Norfolk between the 1st century BC and 1st century AD. The Cenimagni, who surrendered to Julius Caesar during his second expedition to Britain in 54 BC, may have been a branch of the Iceni.[1]

Archaeological evidence of the Iceni includes torcs - heavy rings of gold, silver or electrum worn around the neck and shoulders.

The Iceni began producing coins circa 10 BC. Their coins were a distinctive adaptation of the Gallo-Belgic "face/horse" design, and in some early issues, most numerous near Norwich, the horse was replaced with a boar. Some coins are inscribed ECENI, making them the only coin-producing group to use their tribal name on coins. The earliest personal name to appear on coins is Antedios (ca. 10 BC), and other abbreviated names like AESU and SAEMU follow.[2]

Sir Thomas Browne the first British archaeological writer, said of the Roman occupation, Boudica and Iceni coins:

That Britain was notably populous is undeniable, from that expression of Caesar. That the Romans themselves were early in no small Numbers, Seventy Thousand with their associates slain by Bouadicea, affords a sure account... And no small number of silver peeces near Norwich; with a rude head upon the obverse, an ill-formed horse on the reverse, with the Inscriptions Ic. Duro.T. whether implying Iceni, Durotriges, Tascia, or Trinobantes, we leave to higher conjecture. The British Coyns afford conjecture of early habitation in these parts, though the City of Norwich arose from the ruins of Venta, and though perhaps not without some habitation before, was enlarged, built, and nominated by the Saxons.[3]

The Icknield Way, an ancient trackway linking East Anglia to the Chilterns may be named after the Iceni.

Contents

[hide]

[edit] The Roman Invasion

Tacitus records that the Iceni were not conquered in the Claudian invasion of AD 43, but had come to a voluntary alliance with the Romans. However they rose against them in 47 after the governor, Publius Ostorius Scapula, threatened to disarm them. They were defeated by Ostorius in a fierce battle at a fortified place, but were allowed to retain their independence.[4] The site of the battle may have been Stonea Camp in Cambridgeshire.

Statue of Boudica by Thomas Thornycroft near Westminster Pier, London, with her two daughters upon a chariot

A second, more serious, uprising took place in 61. Prasutagus, the wealthy, pro-Roman Icenian king, had died. It was common practice for a Roman client king to leave his kingdom to Rome on his death, but Prasutagus had attempted to preserve his line by bequeathing his kingdom jointly to the Emperor and his own daughters. The Romans ignored this, and the procurator Catus Decianus seized his entire estate. Prasutagus''s widow, Boudica, was flogged and her daughters raped. At the same time, Roman financiers called in their loans. While the governor, Gaius Suetonius Paulinus, was campaigning in Wales, Boudica led the Iceni and the neighbouring Trinovantes in a large-scale revolt, destroying and looting Camulodunum (Colchester), Londinium (London) and Verulamium (St Albans) before finally being defeated by Suetonius Paulinus and his legions. Although the Britons outnumbered the Romans greatly, they lacked that superior discipline and tactics that won the Romans a decisive victory. [5]The battle took place at an unknown location, probably in the West Midlands somewhere along Watling Street. [6] Today, a large statue of Boudica wielding a sword and charging upon a chariot can be seen in London on the north bank of the Thames by Westminster Bridge.

The Iceni are recorded as a civitas of Roman Britain in Ptolemy''s Geographia[7], which names Venta Icenorum as a town of theirs. Venta, which is also mentioned in the Ravenna Cosmography,[8] and the Antonine Itinerary,[9] was a settlement near the village of Caister Saint Edmunds, some 5 miles south of present-day Norwich, and a mile or two from the Bronze Age Henge at Arminghall.

After the Romans left Britain, it is thought that some of the Iceni migrated west, away from settling Saxons.[citation needed] It is possible that the Girvii (Gwyre) of the Fens were formed by Icenian refugees. The Fens formed a comparitive ''safe zone'', surrounded by water and marshes, and were easily defended, as well as being not particularly desirable to invading Saxons with more important places to control. References to a native British population are hinted at in the names of West Walton, Walsoken and Walpole, the ''Wal-'' coming from the Old English ''walh'', meaning ''foreigner''.[citation needed]

While the meaning of the name Iceni is unknown, it is tempting to see it as derived from a Proto-Celtic adjective cognate with Latin picea ‘pine tree,’ the Italic tribal name Piceni, English picene, and with the English hydronym Itchen.

Anyway, you carry on merging with Ipswich if you wish[:|]

We aren''t merging with anyone at Colchester. 

If we HAD to I''d go for Chelmsford City or even Southend.  On second thoughts, scrub the Southend idea.

Good luck with your joint venture.[:P]

[quote user="The Prisoner"]I cannot see the financial sense in merging with a club, any club which is effectively in negative equity.[/quote]I can''t see any sense in merging with that lot!!

[/quote]

As I understand it, they do not own their ground, not so sure about the training ground, so we would be using our cash to fund them? No way.

[quote]

As I understand it, they do not own their ground, not so sure about the training ground, so we would be using our cash to fund them? No way.

[/quote]You''re right, Ipswich Borough Council own it and have leased it to the club.

Robert Maxwell wanted to merge Reading (when they were struggling) and Oxford Utd (when they were in the then old, top, first division) and call them Thames Valley Royals.

Got pretty much short shrift from fans at both clubs at the time, especially Oxford, who were flying & won the League Cup in 1986-year after we won it. Look at them now, non-league, where-as Reading have recently been in the Prem and may yet be back there again next season! I used to hate going to their old ground, slap in the middle of thousands of terraced houses and an away end to rival Wimbledon''s Plough Lane.

The question about these mergers is at what level would the club start-if we merged with Ipswich, would the league make adjustments so we could stay in CCC (ie) 1 extra club below promoted etc? Doubt it-new club and set up, Iceni United, Diss FC, FC Anglia, whatever-we''d be down, far, far away in a lower league and would have to work our way through the leagues.

It might make financial sense to share a ground-the Milan clubs manage it-but where would it be, half in Norfolk, half in Suffolk?

A emotive discussion which regularly comes up, but no, no thankyou. Its Norwich and Norwich alone, or no-one.

[quote user="thecanaryfan"]

LOL Nice idea. Not too sure about Diss though.

Here is my starting line up!:

Wright

Volz    Stefanovic   McCauley    Thatcher

Norris   Clangan     Campo     Hoolhahan

Lupoli        Couanga

I know, I feel shame.

[/quote]

Not that this would ever happen - stop coming up with these stupid ideas!

Richard Wright preferred over Marshall?? Hmm!!

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Badger"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Badger"]
[/quote]

Roughly speaking, the Iceni covered Norfolk, going a bit further west than King''s Lynn, towards Peterborough, and the Trinovantes covered Suffolk and Essex, down to the Thames.[/quote]

Thank you. Were relations between the Iceni and the Trinovantes friendly?[/quote]

Probably friendlier than now! Truthfully you would need a real expert to answer that quickly, or for me to wage through my two (!) books on the subject.

What I do know is that both tribes had lived reasonably harmoniously with the Romans. However when the Iceni rebelled against Roman rule, the Trinovantes joined them, taking part in the attacks on Colchester and London.

Not sure this is working out too well as a football analogy![/quote]

Your right! Probably streets in every town. But there is a Boadecia Road and other names from these times in town!

All this talk of "us" and "we".  But it wouldn'' t be "us" and "we" would it?  It would be a totally new and different club.  It wouldn''t be NCFC.  Just look at Milton Keynes.  How many of the original Wimbledon supporters still have any alliegance to MK Dons?  If you want an organisation that might be more viable financially in the long run then perhaps it''s an answer but if you go down that route then you have to accept that it would mean the utter destruction of our club in every respect.

Taking mergers far enough we could finish up with four teams based on Manchester, Birmingham, London and Bristol. We could have 4 cups and handicaps for each team so that everyone could win a bit of silver!

Maybe it will come to that. As in the old days everyone could change at half time too and play by a new set of rules.......... rugby football!