Sign in to follow this  
nottingham nick

Darren Ward

From Evening Post

12:00 - 05 August 2004
Premiership new boys Norwich City are the latest club to be linked with a move for Forest keeper Darren Ward.

The 30-year-old Welsh international has fallen behind Paul Gerrard in the City Ground pecking order and is likely to start the season on the Forest bench.

Ward missed the last 14 games of last season after slipping a disc and has been unable to regain his place after Gerrard''s successful loan spell at the end of the campaign.

Leeds United showed an interest in the former Notts and Stags keeper over the summer but have recently signed Neil Sullivan from Chelsea.

Competition at Carrow Road would be fierce as he would have to battle his way past Robert Green, who received a call-up to the England squad towards the end of last season.

I am personally against a 3rd keeper, as he would never get a look-in at 1st team level and probably rotate with Gallacher and Lewis in the reserves. A waste of a career and money, which could be better spent on wages for a sub-30yo player.
On another note, I don''t think many clubs have had the fortune of an English, Welsh and Scottish keeper in the squad at the same time! We are a Great British team....perhaps Worthy would consider a 4th keeper....Maik Taylor from NI anyone??

I agree Brum, I''m not all in favour of the 3rd keeper either, mainly for the points you made - when would the keeper ever get a game, you just have to look at how Chrictons career has gone down hill (now playing for York in the Conference) - and he was the 2nd choice keeper last year and couldn''t get a game! Also a 3rd keeper could become disillusioned and annoyed, possibly upsetting team spirit (long shot but still!) but like Worthy says, should Greeno get injured, we have a 16/17 year old keeper on the bench. Not really ideal. Just get someone in who isn''t getting paid much and who doesn''t mind sitting around, possibly not even on the bench.

I wouldn''t mind us getting a 3rd keeper. Like Worthy says, I''d feel a bit nervous going away in the Prem with Lewis on the bench. I couldn''t understand why any goalkeeper would come though, knowing it would take a miracle for him to get a game!!