Sign in to follow this  
James Kent

Roeder's post match comments

I was a bit baffled by Roeder''s comments after yesterdays match. First of all he said he was very happy.

How can he be very happy when his team has lost and never really looked particular likely of winning the game. You can''t really say we were unlucky because Sheff UTD were by far the better side.

This goes for Fozzy as well. Mark, we didn''t create enough chances to deserve to win. We have to hurt teams.

The thing that really concerned me was his thoughts on Carl Cort where he said he had no intention of playing Carl Cort because he doesn''t want to play direct football.

The next three games are all about results. It doesn''t matter how we play, we must get the results.

My point is this if we have to play direct with Cort and Lupoli up front then so be it. This is a direct league after all.

My concern is Roeder may take us down simply because he won''t even consider playing direct football.

My advice would be please play quickly and get the ball into the box. If that means the odd long/high ball to Cort then that is fine.

The simple fact is if we don''t win the next two home league games, we will be in big trouble.

I also recall us playing what you could call "direct" football with Cureton, and Lita, as the "target man".... so why, when you have an actual target man, and you''re chasing the game, you would opt not to play direct football is somewhat bizarre.

As well as being completely erratic in his decision-making, he is also contradictory.  In his post-match interview, he made the following comments:"We haven''t got the type of player where you can just launch balls in behind.  Turn

them round I think the saying is and chase after the ball like headless

chickens - we can''t do that. And we won''t do that. I wouldn''t want the

team to do that and, as I say, we haven''t got the type of players who

would do that in any case."On bringing on Cort, he said:"I

wasn''t particularly tempted, I have to say.  I

wanted us - as the game was stretching in that later period - to keep

the ball on the floor and if you''d have put Carl on I think it

would have been too easy just to start knocking long balls up to Carl

And he would have been palying against two central defenders that were

very strong in the air.  I felt we had to try and keep the ball

on the floor - and that was the reason that Bell came on

rather than Carl."Toward the end of the game, he still refused to bring on Cort, instead pushing Doc up front - and launching long-balls up to him.He''s managed to contradict himself three times in one afternoon!

It reminded me of when Bryan Hamilton thought we were superb after getting a right humping at Derby a few years ago...one could argue he''s just trying to encourage the players and I hope that''s the case because if he genuinely believes that level of performance (and the subsequent away games this season) is acceptable were doomed (at not in a Lappinitup comedic way)

Normally a defeat at Sheff Utd wouldn''t be that big an issue but it''s the rest of the away form that goes with it, add to the fact of the loss at home to Forest it''s looking grim

What I find most astonishing is that he says he doesn''t want to play direct football (which like you I think in our predicament should be considered a secondary concern) and we finish the game with the Doc up front...as so often what he says and does are 2 different things (round pegs round holes etc)

Don''t like to stick up for the man but there is no contradiction here.... launching the ball in behind is not the same as going direct to a target man, his point is without Lita we had very little pace to play the ball in behind.

[quote user="Loan City Fc "]Makes you wonder why we are paying him a wage when Roeder says he didnt even consider him for 10 minutes on the pitch .
[/quote]

Isn''t he on some type of pay as you play deal?  Good job really, cause he''s barely been on the pitch in the last six games.