Sign in to follow this  
Southern Canary

Just Back From The Game

Got the train up to London from Portsmouth this morning, me and the old man had a bit of trouble finding the ground... which was a bit stupid of us really. Got to the ground at about 1 and stood about waiting for the turnstiles to open, watching the Charlton players arrive. The facilities in the away end aren''t all that. For anyone thats been to Ashton Gate, its a bit worse than that! Program was a bit rubbish as well, about 3 pages on us and the rest of it complete nonsense.

Now what can i say about the football...

The first half was absolutely dire. We looked like a team of strangers. Playing Rusty and Sibierski up front seemed to just allow us hoof it. I can''t remember us having a shot in the first half it was so poor. So thank god that our fans were in good voice! Where the hell did that drummer come from? He wanted to sit behind me at one point, but the two blokes wouldn''t swap seats with him.

Once we went one down it was always going to get a bit nasty. Chants of "Roeder Sort It Out", "Arturo Lupoli" and i even heard Cureton and Huckerby songs being sung, which was surprising...

Second half wasn''t much better. We could have been dead and buried if it wasn''t for Marshall, but constantly singing Lupoli''s name got through to Roeder in the end. And we know what happened! After the goal we really should have pushed on, but the players, especially Marsh, showed a lack of urgency, when Charlon were clearly rattled and we could have pushed on and won.

As i mentioned briefly, the atmosphere was electric. We were in full voice for the majority of the game. As for the Charlton fans... What Charlton fans?! Terrible fans, and to think that Delia wanted us to follow the "Charlton Model."

12,000 in attendance, and about a quarter of that were city fans... Goes to show that Charlton deserve to be where they are.

[quote user="AshGower"]

Goes to show that Charlton deserve to be where they are.

[/quote]

why? im sure carrow road wont be a sell out vs charlton! you will probably do the same as them and say "im not paying a further .......... when we playing like this!"

i doubt charlton get 12k on regular basis!

[quote user="Clipped Canary"]I''d wager that it''ll be a damn site more than 12,000![/quote]And it will be midweek unlike today. On 3rd Round day against Bury last year we got nearly 20k.

1. i didnt say you would get 12k

2. i doubt you sell out home section

3. league position shouldnt be decided by fan attendence

otherwise leeds utd would be above all of our league thats for sure

Admittedly i wont be going to the replay, because its pretty hard to get upto Norwich from Portsmouth on a tuesday night.

Also, id guess the attendance for the reply will be about 21,000. Hardly anything like 12,000, which is beyond a joke for an FA Cup game.

[quote user="PBTC"][quote user="Clipped Canary"]I''d wager that it''ll be a damn site more than 12,000![/quote]And it will be midweek unlike today. On 3rd Round day against Bury last year we got nearly 20k.[/quote]Why did you have to bring that one up? I took my Dad to that one too! Lol![:D]

Couldn''t believe my eyes when I saw Russell and Sibierski up front. What the hell was Roeder thinking with that? Never looked like scoring. No movement whatsoever.Good to have the whole upper tier standing for the 90 minutes though, so much better than sitting down.

cant write it any simplier for you guys

so what if 23k average - very good average i admit, but how many those sth''s? 17-18k who garunteed a seat

now they not garunteed a seat for this game so some may think "we not playing well and what point paying 15squid go watch charlton on cold night"

hardly rocket science

my main point was why does charlton attendence mean they should be bottom?

Because Charlton think they are a big club, the media think they are a big club. Its just teams like that that annoy me. 12k shows that they aren''t a big club, and they are infact just pathetic.

[quote user="we8wba"]

cant write it any simplier for you guys

so what if 23k average - very good average i admit, but how many those sth''s? 17-18k who garunteed a seat

now they not garunteed a seat for this game so some may think "we not playing well and what point paying 15squid go watch charlton on cold night"

hardly rocket science

my main point was why does charlton attendence mean they should be bottom?

[/quote]Hardly english neither.......

i think everyone club in the league believe theyre a big club bar the odd exception of few clubs like barnsley and blackpool

[quote user="astrodyne"]And Wolves of course - I mean they can''t possibly think of themselves as a big club can they?
[/quote]

of course we do, but just the same as sheffutd, sheff weds, norwich, ipswich, cardiff etc....

whats the point of us all being "sleeping giants" if no fucker will wake us all

sad reality of it now is teams like wigan and fulham are been seen as bigger clubs than all these listed

[quote user="we8wba"]

[quote user="astrodyne"]And Wolves of course - I mean they can''t possibly think of themselves as a big club can they?
[/quote]

of course we do, but just the same as sheffutd, sheff weds, norwich, ipswich, cardiff etc....

sad reality of it now is teams like wigan and fulham are been seen as bigger clubs than all these listed

[/quote]

We really do need to stop this promotion/ demotion to and from the Championship to the Premiership. It is only when we get two leagues of equal strength will we get equal TV sponsorship and equal player quality that the "sleeping giants" will wake up.

[quote user="Clipped Canary"]I''d wager that it''ll be a damn site more than 12,000![/quote]

heard 13-14k

slightly above

[quote user="we8wba"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Don''t agree with that at all. I suppose I''m showing my age when I say that all those clubs (including the scum and wolves but not cardiff) deserve to be in the Premiership and are all bigger clubs than the likes of wigan and fulham.

potentially and historically teams like norwich, wolves, sheff weds are bigger much bigger than the likes of wigan and fulham

but with the way football has now gone (money) and lack of loyalty towards teams i think wigan and fulham etc... are becoming bigger clubs than us lot. which is kind of sad as all they are doing is coming 15th in the premier each season