Sign in to follow this  
silver fox

Are we getting the best out of David Bell by playing him on the left?

I was talking to a Luton fan yesterday who asked how Bell was doing, as he was excellent at crossing the ball from the right in his time at Luton.  He seemed surprised when I informed him that our manager prefers to play him on the left, and that I had only ever seen Bell take corners from the right.  I know Croft has been playing well on the right, but I am not sure we are getting the best out of David Bell by playing him on the left.  The Palace game would have been an ideal time to switch him, but from reading the reports it seems Roeder still kept him on the left.

As much as I would love to see Croft stay because he gives more than any other players in the squad, perhaps selling Croft would be a good thing, allow Bell who can offer more technically, more crosses and more assists than Croft could, plus cashing in on him would allow us to find a solid left winger, center back and new midfielder.

Left.... right.... depends on whether you want crosses, cut ins, who the opposing defenders are, pitch, make of pies at the gound............

Croft is a far better all round player than Bell!! Am I the only one infuriated by the number of times Bell gets himself offside?

The thing is, Croft was unavailable yesterday and we still played Bell on the left - even if we sell Croft it seems Glenn wants to keep him on the left, so I guess we will never know.

I''m not sure I agree WWWB, Bell is our leading assister, with 7 now I think, they both offer something different, Croft while he is on form is getting us the goals and Bell can set people up.

[quote user="ridgeman"]Has Bell had one shot on target whilst he has been in the team?[/quote]

Has crofty set 5+ goals?

Has bell messed up 100+ crosses?

Has crofty managed to take a good freekick or corner?

Thought so.

what I would like to see occasionally is that they swap wings and give defenders something fresh to think about - i''m sure Crofty could do some Hucks-style damage once in a while cutting in from the left.

[quote user="Ricko"]what I would like to see occasionally is that they swap wings and give defenders something fresh to think about - i''m sure Crofty could do some Hucks-style damage once in a while cutting in from the left.
[/quote]

No-one can do what hucks did :)