Sign in to follow this  
Buffalo King

A swedish viewpoint on Jonson

I am swedish Norwich City fan but I am also a swedish football fan in general. I follow the swedish league intensely, as well as the swedish national team. So I have seen Jonson play for club and country on numerous occasions. Here are my view of him as a footballer.

First of all, he is a fantastic team player. Always very loyal, hard working. You know that he will perform up to his level. That is one of the reasons that he is a favourite to the swedish national team coaches. They sometimes put "better" players on the bench and play with Jonson because they know he will give them a solid performance, offensively as well as defensively.

When he came into the top swedish league at his hometown club Örebro SK in the mid-nineties he played as a striker and was at this time a good goal scorer on a national level. But as he has grown older he has become more of a winger, both for club and country. He mostly plays on the right side but can also play to the left, as well as up front. But don´t expect him to be a big goal scorer for Norwich. And his crossing ability is ok, not more. If he gets e regular spot on the team I´d would guess that he could deliver something like five goals at the most.

On the plus side is that he is fast and brave. He doesn´t hesitate to challenge his oppenent and also tries to find space to be able to finish on his own. But as I mentioned he works hard defensively as well which sometimes means he doesn´t get forward as much as one might wish.

According to media reports here Norwich paid something like 1,2 milllion pounds for his signature.

If anyone has any questions about him I will be happy to answer them.

Good insights Buffalo King. Sounds just like Kevin Cooper who was here for the last 10 games or so last season!!

i''d be surprised if we''ve paid that much for him. that would make him our most expensive ever signing and as you say, he seems a good solid dependable team player, rather than the kind of player we might go to 1.2 mil for. Scowcroft perhaps...

excellent analysis Buffallo king
which British players would you compare him to? someone like Steve Stone? what''s he like in the air when he plays down the centre?

First, Mattias Jonsson is probably a better player than scowcraft. He has 41 caps for sweden and played in all 4 games in Euro 2004 this summer. That must say something.

He might be a bit like steve stone, in his defensive game, but probably a lot better going forward. The best part of his game, is his workrate. He never gives up. I would say it´s a great signing!