most of 2008.

“We

feel very confident that we will, over the course of the second half of the

season, pull ourselves away from that,” said Roeder after yesterday’s 3-1

defeat at Crystal Palace. “It would be nice to have got a point or three today

which would have been fully deserved. It is frustrating, not just for me, for

everyone involved at Norwich – it’s frustrating for the players, it’s

frustrating for our supporters, because we know we are good enough to have more

than just back-to-back wins, to go on a run of wins. There is no doubt about it.

There isn’t any team in this division we fear, as we proved when we beat Wolves

5-2 – but we have not had enough of those.”

___________________________________________________________________________________________THE FUTURE AND EXPECTATIONS FOR NORWICH CITY
  • What will the

future be like for Norwich City this season?
  • Norwich not consistent enough
- I still stand by what I said at the start of the

season, I believe a realistic expectation for Norwich City is to finish

mid-table but if they are going to they have to start winning games away from

home or go on a run of 4/5 games unbeaten. Yes Norwich have suffered, it is painful for us but we have to keep being

patient with Glenn Roeder. Remember when Glenn Roeder first came in as Norwich City manager. ___________________________________________________________________________________________"I was appointed to make sure we stay in the championship, in a hopeless, hopeless position, with 8 points in Novemeber.
So I achieved that with a

squad that I wasn’t happy with and I had to hit the loan market, and the loan

market with the players that I was happy here kept us in the championship. Huge

turn around, massive turn around in the summer – both at backroom staff level,

a a plan that had to be done. I had to take an assault into what I inherited, I

didn’t want it to be like that because we have such a big upheaval it is very

hard to expect everyone to gel you know straight away but it had to be done

there was no one stage to as far as the playing staff were concerned. You know

they weren’t good enough and now we have to go on a recruitment drive to bring

in players knowing what the financial world is in football at the moment, you

know and we lost a major investor in the Turners you know that and that just

made the job even tougher.  So again I

knew we wouldn’t be able to replace 17 players back on with 17 new contracted

players that would have to be basically stage 1, 2, 3. Stage 1 is probably 7 or

8 of our own players, or 7 or 8 loan players and that is what I have done until

such times we can have our own players which is what our supporters would want

I understand that. Every manager would like to have contracted players, all

contracted players. The fact of the matter is the loan players that we have got

here we couldn’t afford to buy anyway. We are very grateful that there are Premier

League clubs that loaned them to us have done so. We have some very talented

loan players here, and let’s be absolutely clear about this once and for all
the

loan players at this club give everything for the shirt.
Whoever sits there

saying “loan players don’t give their best is wearing a pair of glasses that

have been blown out by black paint. They are not seeing anything out of those

glasses.”

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________I think what really didn''t help Glenn Roeder was when the Turners decidely to leave, they were very unloyal/unfaithful. So as a result Roeder has no money to spend to bring in permanent signings, which is why he has to bring in so many players in on loan. Until Norwich get an investor in Roeder won''t have money to play with.
  • Roeder was not happy with the squad he inherited - i.e. the group of players he had. 
  • "Not good enough," said Roeder

PLAYERS IN

CM -  Pattison – good player

CM - Clingan – good player

LM -  Bell – good player

AM - Hoolahan – good player

CF Cort – too early to say

RB, CB - Omozusi – good

player

CB - Stefanovic – good

player

GK Rudd – don’t know until

I see him play

CB - Taylor (on loan) good

player

LB - Bertrand (on loan) –

good player

CF - Evans (on loan) – good

player

CF - Lita (on loan)

CF - Sibierski (on loan) –

good player

CF - Koroma (on loan) –

crap

CF - Lupoli (on loan) –

above average

CB - Kennedy (on loan) –

good player

CB - Pearce (on loan) -

above average

LB - Gibbs (on loan) –

above average

Valesco (on loan) – above

average

RB - Bates (on loan) – good

player

RB - Henry (on loan) – good

player

PLAYERS OUT

Huckerby – should have been

sold

Lewis – shouldn’t have been

sold

Dublin - retired

Shackell - shouldn’t have

been sold

Brellier – he was crap had

to go

Stirhavka – he was crap had

to go

Brown – he was crap had to

go

Murray – he was crap had to

go

Hartson

– would have been good if he kept fit
    eder
BELL COULD HAVE PLAYED ON THE RIGHT FOR CITY AGAINST PALACE

One criticism of Roeder is why didn’t he play

David Bell on the right hand side? you would think it would be the ideal

opportunity with Croft out injured, but instead he opted to play Pattison in

that position. But then come to think of it who would you play on left hand

side instead? Pattison maybe.Results need to improve but at least Norwich are performing, that is better than Norwich losing and playing badly. Sooner or later results will get better, and I think we will beat Nottingham Forest tomorrow.

Interesting post. The funny thing is, GR pointed out just how dire our situation was before anyone else did. And yet he''s still getting slagged off by the warriors on here for the situation we''re in.

He doesn''t get things right all the time but can anyone really expect any other manager to come in and do better under the circumstances - which are out of the manager''s control?

It''s not like we''re playing like we did under Grant - no passion etc - the team look like they''re enjoying their football most of the time (and they do play some nice stuff), they''re just shocking in defence.

All this nonsense about protesting will get us nowhere unless someone has a cast-iron solution. And we have yet to hear one. If people want Delia out, they should offer up someone else. But in the meantime, let Roeder get on with what is a tricky job, and maybe a knight in shining armour will see what potential we have and help us out. That might sound fanciful, but it''s no less fanciful than thinking getting on the manager''s back will make everything alright.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]

CF - Sibierski (on loan) –

good player

Valesco (on loan) – above

average

RB - Henry (on loan) – good

player

Dubious ratings, to say the least.
[/quote]velasco was a good player, he knew he wasnt getting another contract  though...sibs is a good player, but only in prem where he has more time and space, because here you dont have time on the ball.

CF - Sibierski (on loan) – good player

Valesco (on loan) – above average

RB - Henry (on loan) – good player

[/quote]

Dubious? Thats being very kind chops my friend.

CF - Sibierski (on loan) – good player

Valesco (on loan) – above average

RB - Henry (on loan) – good player

[/quote]

I agree with you about these being dubios, but agree with original post.  The lack of money, we have made a profit in both transfer windows!  With players constantly leaving and more money needing to be found, I agree GR needs to be given time, as long as we dont slip into relegation, I dont mind, he has to be given the opportunity to build slowly.  We need to move away from this IN/OUT process the whole time.

That''s far too level headed for this place, MDP. I salute your efforts though.Badger said elswhere on here that he knows some billionaires. I''ll be interested to see who.

[quote user="ricky knight"]so if we go down, will he still have done a good job[/quote]Ofcourse not but then we haven''t gone down. Cue the "WE NEED TO SACK HIM BEFORE WE DO!!" response.

[quote user="Lord Flashheart"]That''s far too level headed for this place, MDP. I salute your efforts though.

Badger said elswhere on here that he knows some billionaires. I''ll be interested to see who.
[/quote]

so why has badger sat on his arse for so long whilst the club has declined when he knows people who could "help"?

jas :)

I accept half your argument, but there are two things in play here.1. Has Roeder done well to assemble a squad under huge financial constraints? - Yes.2. Are Roeder''s tactical decisions evidence of doing a "good job"? - No.Evidence?  Deploying and persisting with Sibs as a target man.Dropping Otsemobor for Omosuzi who looks twice the player at centre back than at right back.Persisting with Fozzy as captain but changing on a game on, game off basis.Russell as target man.Tinkering with the back 4 so Doc, who''s been solid all season, is dropped for Kennedy.Troy Archibald-Henville III Jr.  Everything about it.In other words, yes, half the job is good but the important on the field stuff doesn''t seem to be right - and that''s as important as assembling a batch of loan players.To use a Delia analogy, he''s blagged some decent ingredients, but he''s not making much of a finished product.

It''s ironic that he stated the players he inherited were the worst players he''s ever inherited and weren''t good enough, yet it was with those same players he actually put his only string of results together!As for the old excuse he hasn''t had any money to bring in players - he has brought in 21 players, that''s an entire squad!I honestly think GR is a poor manager and we wouldn''t be doing any better if he was given twice the amount he''s already spent

All very well Braveheart but there is still no sign of the GR assembled squad going on an unbeaten run in the same manner as the "worst squad ever" did. I accept we are playing better football but unfortunately that still is not translating into any sort of consistency, and we have yet to eradicate the old failings of not being able to defend set pieces. Not sure about your assessment of some of the GR signings.

It''s a results based business.....and whether we''re playing cute football or not.....we''re not getting the results.

Table, don''t lie.....

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[quote user="Lord Flashheart"]That''s far too level headed for this place, MDP. I salute your efforts though.Badger said elswhere on here that he knows some billionaires. I''ll be interested to see who.[/quote]

so why has badger sat on his arse for so long whilst the club has declined when he knows people who could "help"?

jas :)

[/quote]Not some - lots - all looking for a club where the fans protest more!The link is below - the irony was a bit too subtle for Barclay Boy!http://new.pinkun.com/cs/forums/4/1509459/ShowPost.aspx#1509459"oh a protest that should do the trick. I

know lots of billionaires who are looking to invest money in football

clubs but they can''t find a group of fans that complain enough. If we

have a jolly good protest everything will be sorted - why don''t they

all see how simple it is!
"Nothing like a good protext to attract a billionaire investor eh?

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

It''s a results based business.....and whether we''re playing cute football or not.....we''re not getting the results.

Table, don''t lie.....

[/quote]Unfortunately completely right. Whether we like to admit it or not, we wanted to see progress. We''re not seeing that. Yes, of course, the football is better - but we''re not scoring goals and we''re conceeding silly goals. That''s not progress.Sadly I think we need a manager who can get the best out of what we''ve got. That''s not Roeder.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]I accept half your argument, but there are two things in play here.1. Has Roeder done well to assemble a squad under huge financial constraints? - Yes.2. Are Roeder''s tactical decisions evidence of doing a "good job"? - No.Evidence? 
  • Deploying and persisting with Sibs as a target man.
  • Dropping Otsemobor for Omosuzi who looks twice the player at centre back than at right back.
  • Persisting with Fozzy as captain but changing on a game on, game off basis.
  • Russell as target man.
  • Tinkering with the back 4 so Doc, who''s been solid all season, is dropped for Kennedy.
  • Troy Archibald-Henville III Jr.  Everything about it.
In other words, yes, half the job is good but the important on the field stuff doesn''t seem to be right - and that''s as important as assembling a batch of loan players.To use a Delia analogy, he''s blagged some decent ingredients, but he''s not making much of a finished product.[/quote]No reply, Braveheart?

Is Roeder doing a decent job sans dosh ? No. He is spending more money on football and backroom staff wages and salaries than 14 other teams in this league . Yet he is doing worse than almost all of them . Why is that ? Is he simply not good enough ?

[quote user="cuckoo in the nest"]Is Roeder doing a decent job sans dosh ? No. He is spending more money on football and backroom staff wages and salaries than 14 other teams in this league . Yet he is doing worse than almost all of them . Why is that ? Is he simply not good enough ?[/quote]Could you provide your source for this ''FACT'' please?

Not find the link but I am sure it was widely reported that we have the 8th largest player wage bill in the league - which is 16 teams with smaller budgets.

Either way its clear that this squad,  incl the manager,  are completely under-performing,  and performing only when they can be ar$ed.  If ROeder cant change that now he has HIS players/squad he is no manager at all.  80% of a managers job is player motivation,  and its clear he is not up to that job as the only consistent thing about this team is we never know whether more than 3 players are going to turn up or not.

Fair enough I just have this bee in my bonnet that certain Public figures at our Club are obfuscating the financial situation by deliberately interchanging the figures for ''overall club wage bill (inc approx 150 non playing staff)'' with ''playing budget'' and ''player wage bill''. If we have a player wage bill of £8.5m then we are in deeper trouble than I first thought since the non-playing staff wage bill comes to an amount in excess of £5m alone besides all our other liabilities. The sums just don''t add up.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]I accept half your argument, but there are two things in play here.

1. Has Roeder done well to assemble a squad under huge financial constraints? - Yes.
2. Are Roeder''s tactical decisions evidence of doing a "good job"? - No.

Evidence? 
Deploying and persisting with Sibs as a target man.
Dropping Otsemobor for Omosuzi who looks twice the player at centre back than at right back.
Persisting with Fozzy as captain but changing on a game on, game off basis.
Russell as target man.
Tinkering with the back 4 so Doc, who''s been solid all season, is dropped for Kennedy.
Troy Archibald-Henville III Jr.  Everything about it.

In other words, yes, half the job is good but the important on the field stuff doesn''t seem to be right - and that''s as important as assembling a batch of loan players.

To use a Delia analogy, he''s blagged some decent ingredients, but he''s not making much of a finished product.

[/quote]

Agree 100% Mr C - and I had this urge to remove the Let''s Go.. avatar from my screen....(I watched Velasco on his debut at Watrford - he got praised on this board by some but I thought he was terrible. Played right in front of me in the first half and got beaten everytime. Then came that thankfully brief appearance in the home match...I do hope Cort is not of the same ilk)

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Not find the link but I am sure it was widely reported that we have the 8th largest player wage bill in the league - which is 16 teams with smaller budgets.

Either way its clear that this squad,  incl the manager,  are completely under-performing,  and performing only when they can be ar$ed.  If ROeder cant change that now he has HIS players/squad he is no manager at all.  80% of a managers job is player motivation,  and its clear he is not up to that job as the only consistent thing about this team is we never know whether more than 3 players are going to turn up or not.

[/quote]

"Widely reported" hey?  Well i scan this board every day and i never saw it.  Also, no-one knows what their player wage bill will be as reported in the accounts next year because they are only half-way through paying it- and all manner of things can change by the end of the financial year. 

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

Table, don''t lie.....

[/quote]

We was rock bottom when he took over, we''re not any more... Slight improvement... :)

[quote user="max"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

Table, don''t lie.....

[/quote]

We was rock bottom when he took over, we''re not any more... Slight improvement... :)

[/quote]

Err? we''re a point worse off than this stage last season..................some improvement![:|]

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="max"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

Table, don''t lie.....

[/quote]

[/quote]

Err? we''re a point worse off than this stage last season..................some improvement![:|]

[/quote]

Hence the word "slight".... :D