Sign in to follow this  
Paul Spector

Simon Lappin

Give the guy a chance! He can''t be any worse than David Bell was this afternoon. His delivery and free kicks are arguably better, particularly going by the last few games, and I really don''t see what else Bell is offering that Lappin couldn''t.

It may be a disaster and Lappin won''t work out, but at least give him a chance - he deserves at least that!

[quote user="We Want Worthy Back"]Give the guy a chance! He can''t be any worse than David Bell was this afternoon. His delivery and free kicks are arguably better, particularly going by the last few games, and I really don''t see what else Bell is offering that Lappin couldn''t.

It may be a disaster and Lappin won''t work out, but at least give him a chance - he deserves at least that![/quote]Bell is not putting in the same delivery he was earlier in the season and i would prefer we played a left footed player on the left.

[quote user="Fabregas- Poor Mans Ian Crook"][quote user="We Want Worthy Back"]Give the guy a chance! He can''t be any worse than David Bell was this afternoon. His delivery and free kicks are arguably better, particularly going by the last few games, and I really don''t see what else Bell is offering that Lappin couldn''t. It may be a disaster and Lappin won''t work out, but at least give him a chance - he deserves at least that![/quote]
Bell is not putting in the same delivery he was earlier in the season and i would prefer we played a left footed player on the left.
[/quote]

who has he got to aim for?

[quote user="can u sit down please"]

[quote user="Fabregas- Poor Mans Ian Crook"][quote user="We Want Worthy Back"]Give the guy a chance! He can''t be any worse than David Bell was this afternoon. His delivery and free kicks are arguably better, particularly going by the last few games, and I really don''t see what else Bell is offering that Lappin couldn''t. It may be a disaster and Lappin won''t work out, but at least give him a chance - he deserves at least that![/quote]
Bell is not putting in the same delivery he was earlier in the season and i would prefer we played a left footed player on the left.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Not a bad point that. But his deliveries are still far too inconsistent.

[quote user="can u sit down please"]

[quote user="Fabregas- Poor Mans Ian Crook"][quote user="We Want Worthy Back"]Give the guy a chance! He can''t be any worse than David Bell was this afternoon. His delivery and free kicks are arguably better, particularly going by the last few games, and I really don''t see what else Bell is offering that Lappin couldn''t. It may be a disaster and Lappin won''t work out, but at least give him a chance - he deserves at least that![/quote]Bell is not putting in the same delivery he was earlier in the season and i would prefer we played a left footed player on the left.[/quote]

[/quote] How about stick it in the middle. Instead of hitting the first man, far corner flag or the keepers gloves.

[quote user="We Want Worthy Back"]From set plays he''s got players to aim for, but does it far too scarcely.[/quote]

And yet how many times have people on here told us that he''s got far better end product and puts in loads more "telling" crosses than Lee Croft?

You can see why David Bell went from struggling Luton to struggling Norwich. Overrated.

The bottom line is that we are p*ss poor so trying out a guy (Lappin) who has done well for us in the past wouldn''t hurt.

The very fact that Roeder(nowhere) has just completely wrote of Lappin is another example of his complete ineptness as a manager!

bell is delaying an operation he needs possibly doing himself more damage so why not get him sorted and in the mean give lappin some game time is he really that bad in glen f@!!@@g roeders eyes wise up roeder give the bloke a chance...

From what I hear from some of the youth players, Lappin has been looking really good in training, and all the players agree he should be given a chance - however i''m told him and Roeder pretty much despise each other.

[quote user="cuckoo in the nest"]Lappin was poor and still is. Come to reflect on it he''ll fit in with the team perfectly.[/quote]

Utter baloney! he was weak at LB and has paid a big price for trying to fill in at that position. His position is left midfield. (The NCFC web site says so - it''s only Roeder who keeps referring to Bertrand and Drury (ha!) being ahead of him "in the pecking order"). He should be played left midfield and could alternate with Pattison - two quite different players who can play in the same position.

Lappin may not be a great player but on his day was a good player. he certainly got my applause more often than his fellow Scottish midfielder. But it is indeed academic whilst Roeder is manager. I assume his hang up is Lappin''s wages - after all he did come in on what was almost a free. But that''s not Lappin''s fault and we have to pay them anyway. For me, Roeder''s treatment of Lappin epitomises his management style - dictatorial, demanding respect but without earning it and ultimately, flawed.

[quote user="Binky"]

[quote user="cuckoo in the nest"]Lappin was poor and still is. Come to reflect on it he''ll fit in with the team perfectly.[/quote]

Utter baloney! he was weak at LB and has paid a big price for trying to fill in at that position. His position is left midfield. (The NCFC web site says so - it''s only Roeder who keeps referring to Bertrand and Drury (ha!) being ahead of him "in the pecking order"). He should be played left midfield and could alternate with Pattison - two quite different players who can play in the same position.

Lappin may not be a great player but on his day was a good player. he certainly got my applause more often than his fellow Scottish midfielder. But it is indeed academic whilst Roeder is manager. I assume his hang up is Lappin''s wages - after all he did come in on what was almost a free. But that''s not Lappin''s fault and we have to pay them anyway. For me, Roeder''s treatment of Lappin epitomises his management style - dictatorial, demanding respect but without earning it and ultimately, flawed.

[/quote]

Correct!

Glad to read posts from fans who say it as it is and seem to know what they are on about!

We''re on the Roeder(nowhere)!

Correct me if I''m wrong but apart from scoring a free-kick what actually has Lappin done for NCFC? Because I can''t remember him doing anything apart from that, plus at the end of Grants reign it became apparent that he didn''t rate him that highly either. And We Want Worthy Back stop going on about the youth team player thing! It''s bullsh!t and from a very unreliable source. 

[quote user="Football 101"]Correct me if I''m wrong but apart from scoring a free-kick what actually has Lappin done for NCFC? Because I can''t remember him doing anything apart from that, plus at the end of Grants reign it became apparent that he didn''t rate him that highly either. And We Want Worthy Back stop going on about the youth team player thing! It''s bullsh!t and from a very unreliable source.

[/quote]

As The Only Lappin Fan In The Village - even I''m getting a wee bit bored with this debate - but since you raise these points: When did you last see him play in a defensive midfield role? Grant was forced to play him at LB (Drury injured?) was he not?. And on that basis, you could ask what has Bertrand, Drury, Otsemobor (or Fotheringham) etc etc ever done for Norwich, except perform a team role in varying degrees of usefulness? But given Lappin hasn''t played for over a year, I suppose it''s fair to answer "not much of late". I know he played some bummers at LB but I never saw him play a bad game. Rather, when he first arrived I saw him play some neat tidy mopping up/play making football. Maybe I was just lucky. I can''t comment on the youth team thing - but everryone, including Roeder himself said he played a blinder in that Arsenal reserves match.

Look at it this way: no-one  has ever suggested that Lappin is another Darren Huckerby left out in the cold. But several of us feel he could at least be as useful as certain other midfielders who keep being played or brought back into the team. I think he would work well in front of Drury. Given that we are so short of players and that we still have to pay his wages, it is just strange that he hasn''t even being tried. I don''t buy the "not perfoming in training" thing - even Roeder says he still knuckles down but made it clear after that Plymouth game (Lappin was LB) that he would never play again. But if he had proved to be only Half Really Useful, we could perhaps have saved some of the money on certain loans which might now be funding Lita''s stay at Carrow Rd.

He''s never had a fair chance 101. He has always been played out of position and never given the opportunities he deserves. He has the capabilities to play a sort of Stewart Downing-esque or Gareth Barry type role for us.

Before anyone starts - i''m not suggesting for a minute he is as good as those two playera!!

Just outlining the type of role he could be used for.

Anyone who saw Simon Lapins performance against the Arsenal reserves , would agree that he deserves a chance. One certainly over several of the so called regulars who performed so badly against Forest.

Whilst I would not expext or condone interferance from the board in team matters , isnt it time our board [ chaiman ] had a quite word in Mr Roeders ear , his total arogance and Iam allways righr attitude , will destroy our club. Maybe the board have had a word on such matters , but how much longer can the man be allowed to work with HIS SQUAD , with these current performances.At most he should have been given three games to sort it out , after the Watford game , which brings us to ...................................  

Question , I know Spillane is at Luton on a season long loan , and cant therefore come back .But what was the benifit to us in this deal?   

Roeder hates Lappin - Roeder is the boss so Lappin doesn''t play......end of in Rodents world.

Spillane to Luton all season? why would we ever look after ourselves we seem to be more interested in keeping other teams players fit,

[quote user="BIGBOB"]

Question , I know Spillane is at Luton on a season long loan , and cant therefore come back .But what was the benifit to us in this deal?   

[/quote]

Answer - you''d like to think he''d return a stronger player given the regular first team football he''s getting and a stronger person as he''s out of his comfort zone and having to learn how to adapt to a new environment and team.

Ideally he has an impressive season with Luton and he comes back able to compete with the senior players in his position at Norwich. And if he doesn''t look up to it when he comes back then he''ll go back to Luton or somewhere similar and play at a level that suits him.

He was never ready for first team football here so this was always a good move for everyone.