Sign in to follow this  
Binky

THE THINGS WE SAID (4) Roeder

(My last one). I had quite forgotten the degree of hostility to Roeder even before his or Grant’s appointment.  (Couldn’t find a post that I recall from a West Ham fan saying he had a tendency to play players out of position).

Ian Crook had been my choice (because I like the way he played). I was anti Grant from the start (because I didn’t like the way he played) but I was neutral on Roeder. He was, after all, one of the most experienced managers we had seen for some time. Reaction turned completely two months later as he (and Ched) turned things around - and it’s still possible that the final comment (not mine btw) below may yet prove correct. I personally think he (or rather the players) will do enough to get us out of the danger zone. Can we expect more than that given where we are?

Just a selection from the many. (Recent posts excluded). Roll on 2009? Happy New Year! :

25/3/06  How about glenn roeder, alright so he''s lost the last few at newcastle, but his overall record is pretty decent. He seems a very screwed on guy who commands respect amongst players and has some good ideas of the game. I think he deserves a chance somewhere when newcastle go for their next manager and we could do worse than give him a try

Or we could just have another season of mid table worthy medocrity that I''m sure some of you are going to tell me your okay with.

27/4/06  well if they get O''Neill we should go for Roeder! fantastic job in such a short space of time. knowing our luck, if Worthy did go, we''d get Souness! or McCarthy!

10/10.07 out of them roeder he was ok at newcastle, but unlucky, i think he would do good.

11/10/07

I would stop going and join Smudgers protests if Glenn Roeder was made manager.

I''d say "Yes please". A proven manager with premier league experience - what more could you want?

25/10/07

I really hope it''s not true but someone told me today that Glenn Roeder is first choice to take over, apparantly from a "reliable source." would everyone be as worried as me? Roeder would take us into league one for sure

Dont see it happening to be honest, hasnt even been in the sensible betting

personally i think he would be okay. did a good job at Newcastle until a horrendus injury problem took its toll.

Please No. This would be awful, what has he done? With so many better options available in the market, we really should get someone good this time.

Never done anything anywhere - apart from get West Ham relegated with a decent squad.  I have no doubt he would get us relegated too.

Glenn Roeder''s managerial career

Team

From

To

Games

Won

Lost

Drawn

Newcastle

02-02-2006

06-05-2007

West Ham

01-07-2003

24-08-2003

West Ham

09-05-2001

24-04-2003

Watford

01-08-1993

20-02-1996

Gillingham

01-08-1992

09-07-1993

29/10/07 

If he was appointed in the morning I think I''d be reasonably happy as he has good top-flight experience of tough situations, is well known to be a good humoured, popular bloke, must have plenty of good contacts and I think his face would fit in our part of the world!

My Lord! You must think Norfolk people are ugly.

Oh pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee NO!

His record is fantastic!! Relegated West Ham and Watford and finished 2nd bottom of the football league with Gillingham.  Started OK at Newcastle - hardly surprising as he replaced Souness who had lost the dressing room big style, then it all went down the pan for him. AWFUL.

I''d be ok if any of these four get the nod: all have potential, all have been successful before, all would be a risk - albeit, they''re probably the best options available to us. Where I would have a fit of apoplexy is if the board are stupid enough to choose either Roeder or Staunton: both would be crazy recruitments, with Roeder especially having an absolutely miserable record

“Totally wrong for Norwich now”.

The man is useless! Crap at Watford, Newcastle and West ham-hence being sacked by all 3, so how can he be a front runner? What has he achieved. Another joke of a candidate and another cheap option-typical of this club.

The blokes a suicidal liability!, he''s made relegation a bloody artform...............Nurse!.

Sorry that will be the final nail. The most boring manager about with a track record of being sacked by Watford, West Ham and Newcastle.The man has no neck and the charisma of a slug with the flu. 

As i said a few weeks back, a very good potential appointment

If it is Roeder then we are finished and this Board are finished too

I for one wont get behind the manager if its Roeder. The team yes but not someone who has failed in all his previous managerial positions. The board must be completely mad if its true.

If it is Roeder I will finally call for Delia and the Board to be removed.  I never thought I would say it but maybe Cluck and Smudger were right all along.

Cant quite believe what im hearing this morning. What has Roeder ever achieved? Nothing from what i can tell. League 1 here we come..

Oh feck, god help us! Three weeks spent searching for a manager and they come up with this numpty!

What does worry me is he doesnt appear to be able to motivate people which is the one thing more than anything that we need right now.

! I hope I am wrong but I am convinced he will take us down, just like I was convinced when we signed Hucks we would go up. This for me is a very sad day for me and if you gave me a list of  managers to pick from he is the first I would strike off. He has no charisma no drive

I for one would of rather them had the balls to keep Jim Duffy as boss... at least it would not of been yet more cash flushed down the toilet when the inevitable sacking of Roeder occurs in 12months time.

We needed a calming head head with premiership experience . . . and thats what we got. Well done to the board! 

9/12/07

Personally my initial reaction was "could be worse!" but now i feel the board have got it spot on.

Never doubted him unlike some above

So far I think he has done a great job and long may it continue, this definatly isn''t a honeymoon period now its a sign of things to come.   I really feel we now have the right manager for Norwich

Me too, seems like the Percy Positives are now in the ascendant and the Negative Nigels (not you nutty) strangely quite apart from the odd bitter moan

Don''t care what anyone says or said, roeder is 100 times the manager grant was and that will do for me!

6/2/08  

Hang on. At present we are safe but many a slip between cup and lip. I still believe that Roeder will leave this club poorer and is only here to enhance his reputation.  

i think Norwich is actually a perfect club for him. There''s always potential for Prem footy too. Lee Clark on the other hand... he''ll be gone quicker than the blink of an eye... but it''s nice having him around for now.

Luckily for me I do like GR and I do like what he is doing at the club and I trust that he has found the right club for him and what he is building at the club will see a successful future which has not been seen for years