Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

Doing nothing is not an option

I have to say that off late I have been torn on the Roeder front. On the one hand I don''t like the bloke at all and will always resent him for the way he handled certain situations. On the other hand though he''s not a bad football coach (and as can be seen from his post match comments does see the problems unlike some of his predecessors) and i''m not sure that we could get anyone else in that would do any better with the resources available.

In truth I blame the board for our current predicament starting right back at when they never really had a serious crack at the premiership. We have been suffering for that serious lack of ambition ever since, compounded by a series of shocking managerial decisions (both in terms of not sacking worthy soon enough and appointing his successors). However in the current climate i''''m not sure what we can do about that. They have spurned what was probably our only real chance of serious money coming into the club and we are not to all intents and purposes uninvestable in (at least on the terms that the current owners will allow). I have no doubt we might scrape together £1m worth of loans or something from Sid Sadd of Sprowston and the owner of the Dereham chippy but I just can''t see any serious investment that will make a real difference coming into the club anytime soon.

What I really don''t think we can afford to do though is just keep limping on as we are and given this I have reluctantly come to the conlcusion that maybe getting rid of Roeder is the only option left to us. At the very least getting in a manager who is not a complete arrogane a**e and who the fans like may have a temporary uplifting effect for all at the club and anable us to limp over the finishing line this season!

As far as I can tell there are 8 options

• 7 are a combination of
    • change manager
    • change board
    • change players

• the 8th is do nothing.

Of  those I am sure that we will limp along doing what we are at the moment;  bring in a couple of new faces in hope of changing fortune; we may bring in a new manager by the end of jan if we lose a couple more games but feel that is unlikely,  although more likely than changing the board.   On that basis doing nothing (ie no changes to any personnel) becomes the 2nd or 3rd most likely option.

We will bring players in,  will that satiate the fans?   Nope - someone somewhere will be unhappy  with it, as they will be with all 8 options.

Me?  New players are definitely needed,  and probably with a manager change,  but timing is against us at the mo - should have been done at the beginning of Dec to allow a new manager to have a chance in the Jan window. 

For me, February looks to be the month that will determine Roeders'' future or otherwise at Norwich.  We have winnable home matches against Barnsley and Southampton at home in January, and might get something away at Doncaster.  I can''t see us getting anything away to Sheff Utd.  In our current position, 6 or 7 points from Jans'' 4 matches would be an excellent return. 

February looks nasty though.

3 Feb - Wolves (1st) away

7 Feb - Bristol City (12th) Home - Bristol have won 5 times away from home so far, more wins than at home (3)

14 Feb - Preston (7th) away

21 Feb - Burnley (5th) Home - Burnley have 5 away wins so far too.

28 Feb - Coventry Home - possibly the only home banker in the month.

If we only return 10 points from Jan and Febs'' matches, Norwich have to be looking for a new manager in March.

If the team performs as they have when beating 2 and drawing twice against the current top 6 sides against the lower half sides there will be no issue.  We have the ability to pick up enough points to be scure and even still finish mid table.  but the players have to find it from within themselves, and the manager a way to motivate and inspire his players to perform that way for at least 15 of the next 20 matches.

It is in the squads hands.  Do they want the ball or not?  

Totally agree that we can not afford to do nothing! I can''t stand the people that say we can not afford to get rid of Roeder. Can we afford to keep him and the relegation that will follow?? No brainer IMHO.

Agree with everything you''ve said Jim but I wonder if sacking Roeder will make any difference to our fate this season.

It''ll cost us a small fortune to relieve him of his post and whoever comes in will still have a mammoth task to avoid relegation. Perhaps the only silver lining to that is that any potential investors lurking in the shadows might be tempted to make a move if they see that the present Board, i the absence of any concrete investment, are at last making a belated effort to improve things. 

My guess though is that investors, if any, are waiting for the Club to wave the white flag and offer the Club for sale at a knockdown price or, more seriously, wait for administration when the shares will be worthless. 

Sorry to labour the point, but what is a "knockdown price" for the club?

It is worth nothing, surely?

Losing £10,000 a day, no squad, poor manager, £20m debt...

[quote user="Lol Morgan"]

Sorry to labour the point, but what is a "knockdown price" for the club?

It is worth nothing, surely?

Losing £10,000 a day, no squad, poor manager, £20m debt...

[/quote]

Exactly Lol!

[quote user="......and Smith must score."]

Agree with everything you''ve said Jim but I wonder if sacking Roeder will make any difference to our fate this season.

It''ll cost us a small fortune to relieve him of his post and whoever comes in will still have a mammoth task to avoid relegation. Perhaps the only silver lining to that is that any potential investors lurking in the shadows might be tempted to make a move if they see that the present Board, i the absence of any concrete investment, are at last making a belated effort to improve things. 

My guess though is that investors, if any, are waiting for the Club to wave the white flag and offer the Club for sale at a knockdown price or, more seriously, wait for administration when the shares will be worthless. 

[/quote]As I said before I am not sure it will make that much difference either but I just don''t know what else we can possibly do. It is a shame that Roeder appears too stubborn to walk away so we will have to sack him if we do want rid!