Sign in to follow this  
plan b

transfer window and the tax dodgers

i would be interested to see if any of the following make any purchases next month after pleading poverty and getting, in the case of leicester, 6.3 million written off their tax bill

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7741859.stm

it will be especially hard when you know that the binners will be out spending probably a lot more than us after having managed to cheat their way out again from paying their bills because of their overspending and mis management.

now i am not saying that the inland revenueshould have closed these clubs down, which would they do if it was any other ''normal'' business, but they should at least stop them from buying any more players until they clear their debt.

i am self employed, like many of you probably, and if i was unable to pay my tax bill i would have the baliffs round taking my fixtures and fittings, computers and assets etc., with absolutly no question and any chance of getting my debt written off. if any of these clubs buy anymore players after this happening it would be like me getting my tax written off, which would never happen anyway, and then going out and upgrading my car and saying that it s vital to my business that i drive round in a flashier motor.

sorry, rant over, happy new year.

I''ve always thought it was totally unfair that Leicester City were promoted  to the premiership on the back of administration, now it looks like they are on for another promotion though the back door.

[quote user="plan b"]

i would be interested to see if any of the following make any purchases next month after pleading poverty and getting, in the case of leicester, 6.3 million written off their tax bill

it will be especially hard when you know that the binners will be out spending probably a lot more than us after having managed to cheat their way out again from paying their bills because of their overspending and mis management.

now i am not saying that the inland revenueshould have closed these clubs down, which would they do if it was any other ''normal'' business, but they should at least stop them from buying any more players until they clear their debt.

i am self employed, like many of you probably, and if i was unable to pay my tax bill i would have the baliffs round taking my fixtures and fittings, computers and assets etc., with absolutly no question and any chance of getting my debt written off. if any of these clubs buy anymore players after this happening it would be like me getting my tax written off, which would never happen anyway, and then going out and upgrading my car and saying that it s vital to my business that i drive round in a flashier motor.

[/quote]yeah well - its always the same - one rule for the ordinary punter, and another for the super wealthy...we''re all in trouble cos these tossers haven''t paid enough in tax over the years - including the top 200 companies...when the good times rolled the coffers didn''t fill up - and now the bad times are here these arfur daleys want the govt (thats taxpayers) to bail ''em out...nice///

[quote user="plan b"]

[/quote]

It''s not a rant - it is something which annoys, I imagine, every self employed small business (of which I am one).  While I have no objection to football clubs or any business getting assistance from HMRC if they are genuinely in trouble, football clubs are, it seems to me, getting preferential treatment and kid glove treatment that would be unavailable to the rest of us. 

I pay many thousands both to the Inland Revenue and to the Vatman and, if anything, the latter are marginally worse.  If you default with them not only would they send round the bailiffs but they bring a locksmith with them to lock you out of your own premises.

If we don''t pay on time we will get penalties imposed and sometimes on a punitive DAILY interest rate.  I do not wish football clubs in difficulties to go under but I would like to see the Revenue approach adopt fairly across ALL business, especially to what I think is often the heartbeat - the little businesses who never have access to the finances of the major organisations.

We pay our taxes on time - and so, I understand, do Norwich City - but there is £50m out there owed to HMRC by Football League Clubs and they, apparently, can get away with it.

While handing over our cheque to my Accountant (and I don''t begrude him a penny of it, and not just said for the Accountants on here) he was raising the question of terrible iniquities in the way the Revenue deal with the self employed.  He said that they had within the last few weeks been given instructions by the Treasury to "go easy" on small businesses in trouble but commented: "So far it is lip service.  I''ve two people in difficulties - one Tax Inspector is being very good about it but the other is being as obstructive and unhelpful  as possible and certainly not in the spirit of this Treasury "instruction".  What Whitehall says and what happens on the ground are entirely different" (What a surprise that is).

No pun intended, I want a level playing field.  At the moment it seems to me football clubs are getting preferential treatment and I honestly think that unfair on everyone else - including the ordinary taxpayer stopped at source.

It is worth pointing out, I think, that according to statistics released by the Federation of Small Businesses, nearly three thousand businesses last year in that category were sent into bankruptcy on the petition of........Her Majesty''s Revenue and Customs, often for paltry amounts compared with that owed by football clubs, in some cases just a few thousand not even into five figures[+o(]