Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

Whether its true or not

the speculation on the BBC site and in the Sum today about Boothroyd really cranks up the pressure on Roeder. If you ask me the one way you would get him to walk would be if he suspected the club were talking to other possible managers behind his back! he won''t like reading this sort of speculation one bit as it must have come from somewhere!

He was certainly here for several years and worked within the structure that was built around trying to play football the proper way, so clearly knows all about the club and its tradition.  It may have been a case of horses for courses when he was at Watford - ie doing best with what he had, and they did also have a bit of a tradition of being long-ball merchants. 

I guess you''d have to give him the benefit of the doubt - he would be as well placed as anyone (and better than most) to come back here and fit in should a vacancy come about.

[quote user="Darren Butt-Head"] ''would fans be happy playing hoofball until the summer?''[/quote]It depends if it gets results or not. It wasn''t at the end of his reign at Watford so I see no reason why it would work here, especially as our squad has a lack of height.

That would be hilarious... just more money wasted by this pathetic board of ours... give Boothroyd away for nothing and pay lots of money you have not got to get him back... [:D]

[quote user="Darren Butt-Head"]Hypothetical question is then, ''would fans be happy playing hoofball until the summer?''
[/quote]yes worthy done it when he first took over to keep us up!

Boothroyds managed one club, so to label him a hoofball merchant is quite ridiculous. Perhaps, just perhaps Boothroyd found that that the best way to get the most out of his players was too adopt these sort of tactics; this lead to promotion; surely you would take that. Considering the style of players we have at carrow road, aidy boothroyd would struggle to complete an overhaul in the near future which would leads to hoofball being our best bet. He would play to suit our players!

[quote user="Smudger"]That would be hilarious... just more money wasted by this pathetic board of ours... give Boothroyd away for nothing and pay lots of money you have not got to get him back... [:D][/quote]

As he is out of work what money would that be?

Another mis-fact to colour your demo no doubt

OK, this is a friend of a friend type thing but at least a month ago I was told directly by the brother of a current pro (not at NCFC but is a Norfolk boy) that Boothroyd has been told to not take any jobs until the situation at Norwich is ''sorted''.

As always with this type of rumour, I expect to be shot down in flames, but hey, it''s a rumour and I''m not claiming it''s 100% accurate - take it or leave it 

[quote user="Robbie Boy"]

OK, this is a friend of a friend type thing but at least a month ago I was told directly by the brother of a current pro (not at NCFC but is a Norfolk boy) that Boothroyd has been told to not take any jobs until the situation at Norwich is ''sorted''.

As always with this type of rumour, I expect to be shot down in flames, but hey, it''s a rumour and I''m not claiming it''s 100% accurate - take it or leave it 

[/quote]Funny because I was told something similar recently. Could be something to it but I won''t be holding my breath. [*-)]

I''m not convinced the players are giving 100% for Roeder,they have opinions just like the fans, if another manager came in, ie Boothroyd, the players might suddenly appear more consistent. New manager syndrome, not necesarily hoofball if he came here. 

[quote user="The Butler"]

[quote user="Smudger"]That would be hilarious... just more money wasted by this pathetic board of ours... give Boothroyd away for nothing and pay lots of money you have not got to get him back... [:D][/quote]

As he is out of work what money would that be?

Another mis-fact to colour your demo no doubt

[/quote]

Money to get shot of Roeder and I am damn sure it would cost a great deal more to get Boothroyd back rather than promote from within???  [:^)]

[quote user="Andy Larkin"]Lets be honest here… the Watford team I watched play us off the park last season at Carra Rud were anything but hoofball.
[/quote]

I take it you didn''t go to the away game then...

i personally dont care if we play long ball if we win games and get promoted... i WOULD care if overrated Aidy was appointed manager.. the mans a disaster!

jas :)

I have heard recently from a strong source (connections with the club and several ex players) that Boothroyd is lined up to replace Roeder, and that the latter is losing the players confidence.

The one thing I will say about Boothroyd is that he got momentum with Watford quickly and probably suffered because he was too successful too soon. A little bit like Billy Davies at Derby and Dowie at Palace.

I''m not sure the playing staff needs an overhaul...Roeder has acquired decent players but just seems unable to turn them into a decent, consistent team.

Yes we need some additions...a captain on the pitch would be good, and some quality strikers.

Boothroyd is being tainted as the proverbial long ball cum hooooof!! merchant because of his time at Watford, but then Watford have always been saddled with that reputation anyway. Even when they were flying, finishing 2nd in the old First Division many years ago under Graham Taylor, and with players of the quality of Ross Jenkins and, especially, John Barnes. Its one of those footballing cliches-"lucky Arsenal", "dirty Leeds", "Norwich are a side that like to pass the ball a bit", "Watford are long ball" -the latter was at, and with Watford long before Boothroyd, it''ll probably stick with them for a while yet, no matter what happens there. When we needed a result there, thirty six odd years ago to get promotion, people were worried that Watford''s "...up and at''em..." approach would hinder our chances, playing as we were, with such delicate flowers (!) as Graham Paddon at the time-yet under Ron Saunders, who might as well have been the Boothroyd of his day!Boothroyd''s rise and fall has been spectacular, when he was at his zenith with Watford, his approach and technique was seen as revolutionary, and he was seen as a possible England Manager. Now he is linked with us! I''d take him over Roeder but it isn''t going to happen as the current regime will hang on to Roeder come what may, and, if we go down, he''ll be lauded as the man "...who will get us up in our rightful* place again..." -but I think Bothroyd''s time will come again, no question.(*we will then all note that when they previously spoke of our "rightful place", it used to be the Premiership!)Interestingly, in his earlier managerial career, Rafa Benitez pulled up no trees, and went from club to club with some regularity, before striking it big at Valencia, he has now won a Champions League, may win the Prem this season and is being linked with Real Madrid!Boothroyd here, with possibly Malky? Yes please.And yes, when Watford beat Leeds in that play off final, it was football that won that, not hoof!

[quote user="Lol Morgan"]

[quote user="Andy Larkin"]Lets be honest here… the Watford team I watched play us off the park last season at Carra Rud were anything but hoofball.[/quote]

I take it you didn''t go to the away game then...

[/quote]No, that would be why I said the Watford team I watched play us off the park last season at Carra Rud were anything but hoofball.