Sign in to follow this  
The Great Wall Of Tettey

worthy was the problem

ill be controversial in saying this, but he should have gone when we got relegated.

it never normally works when the team gets relegated and they keep the manager.

i think we needed a change there and then, and that he had taken the club as far as it could have gone when he was in charge.

any opinions ?

[quote user="Bring Back Nielson"]

ill be controversial in saying this, but he should have gone when we got relegated.

i think we needed a change there and then, and that he had taken the club as far as it could have gone when he was in charge.

any opinions ?

[/quote]

For me Worthy should have gone at the end of the first season back in the championship. To ditch him at the end of the Prem season would have been harsh as he got us there in the first place and at least deserved a shot at getting us back there.

It''s working for Reading and Steve Coppell.

It''s not controversial at all. Can''t think anyone would disagree. But if you want to go back further they shuld have signed Dean Ashton at the start of the season, not half way through.

The mistake was letting him have the second summer after relegation, I remember one game away at Hull towards the end of the first season back in the championship where we were devoid of anything quality passion etc and I thought he should have gone then. I think the final score that day was 1-1 with an own goal saving us at the end. Getting rid of him then would have meant the new man would have had a few games to see how good players he had were and be able to do something in transfer window. As it happened we held on to Worthy 6 months longer and ruined the next season as Grant could not achieve anything positive when he took over as they were so low down.

No - its the boards refusal to remove him at the end of the first season back down that was the problem;  meant worthy wasting a second transfer window & budget when his first attempts failed so very spectacularly. 

But its old news.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

No - its the boards refusal to remove him at the end of the first season back down that was the problem;  meant worthy wasting a second transfer window & budget when his first attempts failed so very spectacularly. 

But its old news.

[/quote]indeed, and that worthy did little in that summers tranny window...crying shame...

Bring Back Nielson !!! wrote the following post at 31/12/2008 6:07 PM:

ill be controversial in saying this, but he should have gone when we got relegated

My own opinion is that he should have gone half way through the Premiership campaign. I know I have said it before but saying Helveg was not fit enourh to play for Norwich City and he went away and played for Denmark or bringing Henderson off the bench as a sub and leaving Bentley on the bench just proved to me where we started to go wrong.

Had we replaced him then I think we could have stayed in the Premiership a while longer (Forest sacked Calderwood last week and he got them promoted last year) I think many of todays problems stem from Worthington being here too long.

obviously alot of other things have contributed to where we are now, but always thought he should have gone the day we got relegated. a fresh manager would have brought in fresh ambitions and new players, and we could have been back there.

but we can also argue the board didnt dish out the cash for more players when we got relegated...

[quote user="Bring Back Nielson !!!"]

any opinions ?

Umm i don''t think curbishly would agree or allardyce for that matter.

[quote user="Bring Back Nielson "]

any opinions ?

[/quote]Umm i don''t think curbishly would agree or allardyce for that matter.

Didn''t get the money he needed in the Prem and didn''t get the money he needed after we got relegated. Clearly knew the right type of players to bring in but didn''t get the backing.

The thing is, when Norwich won the league you all worshipped the ground Worthington walked on.  You all stood outside city hall and clapped and cheered and followed the open top bus tour.  (aaaaaahhhhh those were the days) lol.  but when it all went wrong you stabbed him in the back.  For me the start of this down spiral was Peter Grant. No hope, no experience, no people skills and no clue how to build a team. This is what Roeder inherited, a poor bare bones team and broken promises of money and support from the board. And now when it is going wrong again, you turn your backs and get at Roeder, the board and the club. need i say more?

Agreed, it was obvious Worthy could NOT do a job in the premiership so a lack of ambition from the club by keeping him.