Sign in to follow this  
pennywise

the lower barclay

this is a bit contreverstial but...i sat in the lower barclay for the forest game for the 1st time in years on sunday on a borrowed season ticket  and i was amazed how many old people were in there,  this can`t help the atmosphere can it ? along with the snakepit its our most vociferous part of the ground  and yet by my reckoning its populated by 40% old duffers  who spent more time wishing each other happy new year over there  bovril  than getting behind the team, i would like to propose an upper age limit for the lower barclay and snake pit of 47 years , anyone who reaches this age should automatically be put out to grass in the jarrold stand the following season  and replaced by someone below the age of 35, i honestly think the replenishing of the more vociferous parts of the ground with younger more enthusiastic fans will in the long run make carrow road a more intimidating place for visiting teams ..i have emailed this idea to neil doncaster [:D]

[quote user="pennywise "]this is a bit contreverstial but...i sat in the lower barclay for the forest game for the 1st time in years on sunday on a borrowed season ticket  and i was amazed how many old people were in there,  this can`t help the atmosphere can it ? along with the snakepit its our most vociferous part of the ground  and yet by my reckoning its populated by 40% old duffers  who spent more time wishing each other happy new year over there  bovril  than getting behind the team, i would like to propose an upper age limit for the lower barclay and snake pit of 47 years , anyone who reaches this age should automatically be put out to grass in the jarrold stand the following season  and replaced by someone below the age of 35, i honestly think the replenishing of the more vociferous parts of the ground with younger more enthusiastic fans will in the long run make carrow road a more intimidating place for visiting teams ..i have emailed this idea to neil doncaster [:D][/quote]

Is it April already,I''m 32 and i love a nice Bovril

you could have a system where you move around the ground according to age,you start as a nipper in the coca cola corner between N&P and city stand...as you get older and into 20''s you are moving through to the snakepit....in your30''s and 40''s you gain common sense and move through the barclay.into your 50''s and 60''s you move through the jarrold stand.as you get to 70+ you are well suited to the river end...:)

I think you are right in so far that it will be controversial! That''s about as far as my support goes.

[quote user="NCFC_Shaun"]Pennywise. Are you ''Wayne Kerr''??[/quote]

yes mate new year  new name , wayne kerr seemed so imature [:D]

Can''t wait to read gazzathegreat''s reply to this as I know she''s in the lower Barclay [:D]

Didn''t realise that 47 was old?

[quote user="pennywise "]this is a bit contreverstial but...i sat in the lower barclay for the forest game for the 1st time in years on sunday on a borrowed season ticket  and i was amazed how many old people were in there,  this can`t help the atmosphere can it ? along with the snakepit its our most vociferous part of the ground  and yet by my reckoning its populated by 40% old duffers  who spent more time wishing each other happy new year over there  bovril  than getting behind the team, i would like to propose an upper age limit for the lower barclay and snake pit of 47 years , anyone who reaches this age should automatically be put out to grass in the jarrold stand the following season  and replaced by someone below the age of 35, i honestly think the replenishing of the more vociferous parts of the ground with younger more enthusiastic fans will in the long run make carrow road a more intimidating place for visiting teams ..i have emailed this idea to neil doncaster [:D][/quote]

Well let me put you in the picture you Sprogg, I''m 57 in April, and a lower barclay E block, row s season ticket holder, along with my son we make more noise than the kids around us,we have a young lad and his girlfriend sit/stand next to us, who sit arms folded, and around us in E block we have a few olden''s like me and we all get involved more than the youth element, I should point out that when I go to Carrow road I take  a youth pill and reduce my age to 25, I will be handing out more pills next match.  

[quote user="cityangel"]

Can''t wait to read gazzathegreat''s reply to this as I know she''s in the lower Barclay [:D]

Didn''t realise that 47 was old?

[/quote]

we all have to make sacrifices cityangel, the good of the club must come before the individual every time [:D]

[quote user="pete_norw"]

Well let me put you in the picture you Sprogg, I''m 57 in April, and a lower barclay E block, row s season ticket holder, along with my son we make more noise than the kids around us,we have a young lad and his girlfriend sit/stand next to us, who sit arms folded, and around us in E block we have a few olden''s like me and we all get involved more than the youth element, I should point out that when I go to Carrow road I take  a youth pill and reduce my age to 25, I will be handing out more pills next match.  

[/quote]

do you also wear a hoody and a back to front baseball cap ? [:D]

Could you actually imagine if this was introduced?! I''d much rather see a 50/60 something loyal norwich supporter seating in the barclay rather then some 15-year old chav who''s come up for the weekend from southend to party in great yarmouth and thought he''d take in a norwich match before watching his beloved man utd on the 5.15pm kick off in squares.As for the rotational system, isn''t that what most people actually do anyway? The River end is a bit like home..you spend your early years in that place watching and learning from your elders, and as you get into your teenage years you start to get a little bit more adventurous, you end up leaving ''home'' in your late teens, early 20''s to see the real world for yourself, i.e. the barclay....after 10 or 20 years you realise whilst it was good to lead a hectic life you eventually want to return home, spending your mid-life crisis in the jarrold stand pretending you''re still young.

[quote user="pennywise "][quote user="pete_norw"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Depends if the TV camera''s are in presance, don''t want my cardioligist to see me enjoying myself, I have been known to wear a yellow and green wig, and painted face, what do you wear

v

If we are going to be ageist, then no-one under 25 should be allowed on this message board, drive cars, drink alcohol or have sex! [;)]

[quote user="pete_norw"][quote user="pennywise "][quote user="pete_norw"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Depends if the TV camera''s are in presance, don''t want my cardioligist to see me enjoying myself, I have been known to wear a yellow and green wig, and painted face, what do you wear

v

[/quote]

a fake burberry hat  and a fake bench hoody [:D]

Ahh but these old duffers would be the very same supporters who would have stood in the Barclay singing there hearts out before seating came into force. Now they were the days. Just because you get old, it does not mean you lose your passion.[:D]

i also got to wondering who actually sings, i thought to myself right here goes i`m in the lower barclay  lets give it some  but i felt a bit self concious after a while cos not that many others seemed to be joining in, it always sounds good from other parts of the ground  maybe the club play recorded crowd noises from happier times now over the  PA  , i did hear a few hardy souls behind me singing delia out though [:D]

I sit in the lower Barclay and agree there are far too many old people in there. Its far too quiet now and get some life in there and the atmosphere might pick up.

The Barclay lower is where I sat and have always had my season ticket since 1992, where I always intend to sit because of the view and the atmosphere and I wouldn''t take too kindly to someone telling me I was too old to sit in there!

Im too scared to sing, those two NC mad women who spend all week cutting up paper to throw and annoy us, i open my trap to sing and always end up with a mouthful of paper cuttings ffs [:|]

What a great post (NOT!)

This obviously explains why the family sections of the crowd are so loud on match days! LOL

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]Im too scared to sing, those two NC mad women who spend all week cutting up paper to throw and annoy us, i open my trap to sing and always end up with a mouthful of paper cuttings ffs [:|][/quote]

Oh the old days, bring back the rattles, and the flat caps with the 19ft long scalf that wrapped around the barrier in front,and made it easier on the elbows turn back the clock, we even had a good team then

I have one thing to say to you and that is (polite version) please don''t say anything unless it''s worth saying. I am outside your age bracket (49) and so are two to three of the most vociferous supporters near me, it''s our little area that starts off a lot of the songs.

I am sure this email will just about make Mr Doncaster''s day. Well he''s got to have something to laugh about at the moment hasn''t he? In case you were wondering, it''s probably the football, not the age of the support, making the difference to whether the Barclay is loud or not. I can cite quite a few posters on here who are older than me (and who will probably reply to you). Most of us were brought up in a standing Barclay which was louder than now, but times change. Sitting down doesn''t help (but luckily enough some of us get to stand up all match). I guess you would be happy with an age range of 16-35 all male? Dream on, all city supporters have a role to play in supporting the club. I am sure those who don''t want to be in the Barclay can move, after all it''s their choice.

Oldie are not just confined to the Lower Barclay  some of us old ''un''s are in the Upper Barclay too ! Started in the Barclay when I was a young kid, watch any of the old ''Big Match'' programmes and you will see me sat on the front barrier, by the corner flag ( Foggo always said Hi ! ) Then, as I grew up I moved to the centre terracing, Since the new Barclay. And yes I do support my team !    

Okay, Canaries in Bed, an offer to you, come up to row X (that''s the back row) seat 111 next home game and you can judge my singing skills. No squealing. Promise. I am usually unable to talk properly after a game as I have been singing all match.

[quote user="pete_norw"]

Oh the old days, bring back the rattles, and the flat caps with the 19ft long scalf that wrapped around the barrier in front,and made it easier on the elbows turn back the clock, we even had a good team then

[/quote]

The piss running down the back of your legs, the sharpened coins and darts and bricks whizzing past your ears, the truncheons swinging into your teeth, that hurdy gurdy moment as you feel your arm go halfway up your back as you are carted out to the black maria!

I sit in lower barclay with my son...I am outside your upper age limit by a year, but we both sing every game, altho I do think Roeder has had an effect on the supporters as well as the players with his dictator style leadership.

Just to add I suspect i was standing in the Barclay before the OP WAS BORN.

[quote user="shefcanary"][quote user="pete_norw"]

[/quote]

The piss running down the back of your legs, the sharpened coins and darts and bricks whizzing past your ears, the truncheons swinging into your teeth, that hurdy gurdy moment as you feel your arm go halfway up your back as you are carted out to the black maria!

[/quote]

And the dog hanging on to the arse end making it harder for you to walk and the copper gives another dig in the ribs.

[quote user="pete_norw"][quote user="shefcanary"][quote user="pete_norw"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

And the dog hanging on to the arse end making it harder for you to walk and the copper gives another dig in the ribs.

[/quote]

they don''t know there born do they.