Sign in to follow this  
Smudge

250K????

250K for a third choice keeper.........total madness!!!

We might as well have set the money alight in Colney car park. That''s 250K gone from the budget. Oh well, Ward has got to be laughing!! He won''t even have to turn up on match days.

We need a good squad. 3 international keepers can''t be bad can it? Competition for places and as Worthy said recently, if Greeno was injured we could be at Old Trafford with Joe Lewis on the bench. If we are to be taken seriously we need good cover.

What a waste of a post!!

Remember last year, we had to play Shackell at left back because Drury got injured against WBA and Brennan went the same way the next game?????

Imagine if that happened with our goalie. How would you feel facing the prem big boys with a 16 year old in goal?

I imagine you would complain that we had no 3rd keeper then.

If we are to be taken seriously we need more than one target man and as one national paper put it "the fact that Norwich will be playing the lumbering Svensson up front shows the quality of the squad" I don''t agree with that comment but we definately need a replacement for Roberts..and fast!!

We needed a third choice keeper. We did not need to buy one that involved a transfer fee.

Firstly, I would be interested to know where the 250K price tag came from? As the official website states an undisclosed fee.

Also, bananaman is totally right. Gallacher does have a knock at the moment. So, what if Green got a sidelined (Pray god no!) Joe Lewis comes on at Man Utd or against the Toon. Shearer or Smith would be licking there lips and shooting from anywhere. No really what’s required for your first prem. game.

What would we do? Sub him and put Malky between the sticks. Come on, 250K is fine for a prem. club to spend on a GK.

P.S. I have watched Forest allot the last ten years and can remember him signing from Notts Count. He had a blinder the first Two seasons and can feel a little hard done by to lose his number 1 jersey to Gerard.

i think we are all looking at this is in the wrong light....250k does seem a lot to spend on a keeper thats never going to play...but thats the thing..he might just play...when greeno is englands number1 many top clubs are going to want him and play large amounts for him...i personally believe that this signing is a long term replacement for Gallagher, our future number 1.

Just as a matter of interest, now that we''re back in the big time, doesn''t that mean top flight reserve football - which means that there is just as much chance of a "reserve" keeper being injured as the first team keeper - which means that poor little incey wincey teeny weeny Joe might be needed after all...Can we stop demeaning the guy because he''s young - I''m sure that he''s going to be another excellent product of the NCFC goalkeeping school and in order to progress he needs the experience - he''s going to have to face the Shearers, Henry''s etc sooner rather than later if he is going to progress his career.

Yes PS, I agree, but the lad is 16!! Reserve football at this level is ideal for Joe, but even then, not every week. He will learn a lot from having 3 quality keepers at the club to train with, and won''t be exposed to ''burn out'' now. I think protecting him in this way is exactly the right thing to do at this stage of his development.

As Keggy Keegan once said - "goalies aren''t born these days til they''re in their late twenties and early thirties"

And I think we all kind of knew what he meant.

Joe will have 20 years of top flight keeping left, and 16 is not a good age to be playing in goal in the prem. Five years though, and I expect him to be a regular somewhere. Hopefully here.

adds more fuel to the suspicion that Green is bound for pastures new...maybe not today...maybe not tomorrow....but January/end of season?

Leaving keepers in place and money coming in for strikers?!?

I don''t believe for one minute that Worthington was in an either/or position when it came to signing a third goalkeeper or an outfield player. If Worthy also has a striker or centre back in his sights then I don''t think todays signing will have any impact on his plans. Let''s be serious, in the Premiership 250k (if that''s correct) is peanuts.

The question we have to ask is are we serious about maintaining our Premiership status? If we are a serious professional outfit then obtaining a credible third choice goalie is a must, and I can''t believe it''s even open to debate. Outfield players can play out of position and provide cover in an injury crisis. In goal it''s a different story.

I remember the season we got relegated. We went to Everton in the FA Cup with a last minute loan keeper as all ours were injured. Step up Mr hopeless himself, the one and only Simon Tracy. We got stuffed 5-0 due to his incompetence, and the impact of that defeat on team morale must have been devastating.

I agree that a new striker and centre half would make it a good summers work in the transfer market for us. But if these additions don''t arrive I''d be very surprised if Ward''s arrival had any bearing on it.

I feel a 3rd keeper is a very necessary. I''ve said it before that I wouldn''t particularly want Lewis, a keeper who hasn''t ever played a game, to be on the bench if injuries arose. Also we need to remember that Greeno won''t be here forever. The chances are that come this time next year our "3rd choice" keeper will be on the bench. Might as well spend 250K on a keeper who will do a half decent job

You may want to remember that the failure to sign an experienced keeper when Bryan Gunn was badly injured mid season at Nottm Forest and the management persisted with a promising but unproven young substitute (A. Marshall), was probably the most telling factor in that season''s ultimate relegation.

''''IF'''' ward has been brought in just to be a 3rd choice keeper without the awareness of green leaving....then why spend 250k? why not just keep crichton?????

Where did this 250k originate from?Educated guess or wild supposition?either way that price in the prem is peanuts[just hope we havn''t bought a monkey with a bad back]

There seem to be a lot of people assuming that Green is going because we have Ward, despite what Worthy says and the fact that Gallacher being injured at the moment proving his point. There''s absolutely no evidence for this.

I''d like to know, how many Prem clubs have 3 keepers on their books? All of them, I bet.

From the backs of programmes at home last year, quite a few 1st div clubs had three keepers... so why the surprise? Lewis was drafted in last season as backup when a) we couldn''t afford a third keeper and b) way before he was ready - he''s not even a pro yet is he?

As far as I can see, its all just unfounded wild speculation.

Ama

Come on Amarillo, I''ve seen some of your posts and know you are smarter than what you are inputting here. Premier teams having three keepers has nothing to do with it. Teams the size of Norwich can''t afford to hang on to a keeper like Robert Green who can command many millions of pounds in a transfer fee, particularly at a time when transfer fees are dropping like a stone. Norwich will be forced to play this card within the not too distant future while the property is hot.

The value of having three keepers will be seen today, because Ward is starting today''s ''friendly'' against Real Mallorca (Greeno has a "stomach bug" and Gallagher has a slight injury). Despite the huge potential of Joe Lewis in years to come, I wouldn''t want to see him pitched in against Palace next week if the two G''s were still out of action.

its just seems a lot of money to spend on a THIRD choice keeper...which makes me belive that there is something in the rumour of greeno leaving

dont b a total piss head smudge just imagin it last day of the season need 2 win 2 stay up 1-0 up at craven cottage last minute a corner joe lewis in goal a 16 year in goal he doesnt no wheter 2 come or stay a total mix up 1-1 back in division 1 because of inexperiance 250k is nothing compared 2 #25m

None of us actually know how much money Worthy has to spend, nor how much the players he''s after will cost. If he can afford to spend £250,000 on a third keeper (who, let''s not forget, is a perfectly solid keeper) and still bring in a centre half and striker then I really don''t see the problem. If, as we all suspect, Greeno will be on his way in the near future (my feeling is next summer), then we will have two good solid keepers ready to step in. I think, on this basis, £250k is a snip.