Sign in to follow this  
plan b

Mulryne to become a priest...

[quote user="Beaker"]

i can see it now:

Mulryne in 25 years time:

[/quote]

What do you mean 25 years he''s not far off that now

Following in the footsteaps of Gavin Peacock then, leaving the position of worst football pundit on TV to Jamie Redknapp.

My old man used to say that if you not to clever and lazy but want to earn easy money become a head of a trade union or join the clergy. I think he was right in this case!

DO nothing!

As parish priest I

Take a daily service- produce magazine- run website and daily blog- chair of governors of local school- take assemblies- visit various hospitals and prisons- oversee fundraising and maintenance of an historic building (very time consuming)-am raising £500k to build a community centre- liase with various professional bodies- have set up a preschool and manage it- write weekly sermon-sit on local town forum- take funerals (which involves more work than one might imagine)- baptise- marry- keep paper work in role as clerk in holy orders- run a pensioners lunch club- sit on Bishops council- oversee servers rota, choir, etc, produce service sheets ad nauseum, design posters PR etc, prop up vulnerable people..and that is before I even think!

Put it this way- 6 days a week- normally starting with morning prayer at 7am and finishing an evening meeting at 11pm.

If he has got the call- one thing I promise you, he will be run off his feet

Oh and as to good money...! A Roman priest gets a few grand a year. (but accomodation etc sorted) and no we do not keep the collection.

As a Church of England priest it is marginally better but peanuts compared to what I could have earned with my qualifications in the private sector. 24k with no raise and no raise ever. Yes a nice house to live in- but that is hardly good once you retire and are not on the ladder.

Not moaning though- it is a onderful life and great priviledge. But I suggest you ask those who know and dont just feed of bigoted inaccurate comments remembered from childhood

[quote user="the artist formerly known as VIYAG"]

DO nothing!

As parish priest I

Take a daily service- produce magazine- run website and daily blog- chair of governors of local school- take assemblies- visit various hospitals and prisons- oversee fundraising and maintenance of an historic building (very time consuming)-am raising £500k to build a community centre- liase with various professional bodies- have set up a preschool and manage it- write weekly sermon-sit on local town forum- take funerals (which involves more work than one might imagine)- baptise- marry- keep paper work in role as clerk in holy orders- run a pensioners lunch club- sit on Bishops council- oversee servers rota, choir, etc, produce service sheets ad nauseum, design posters PR etc, prop up vulnerable people..and that is before I even think!

Put it this way- 6 days a week- normally starting with morning prayer at 7am and finishing an evening meeting at 11pm.

If he has got the call- one thing I promise you, he will be run off his feet

[/quote]

Certainly more thing than I had envisaged.  Are all of those expected/part of the job? 

Oh and as to good money...! A Roman priest gets a few grand a year. (but accomodation etc sorted) and no we do not keep the collection.

As a Church of England priest it is marginally better but peanuts compared to what I could have earned with my qualifications in the private sector. 24k with no raise and no raise ever. Yes a nice house to live in- but that is hardly good once you retire and are not on the ladder.

Not moaning though- it is a onderful life and great priviledge. But I suggest you ask those who know and dont just feed of bigoted inaccurate comments remembered from childhood

[/quote]

Good for you Sir, but i''ve yet to see a priest pleading poverty. Anyway my old man was a funny old sort so don''t read to much into it and my apologies for any disrespect i may have caused.[:D]

[quote user="plan b"]...no, seriously, it''s what i have heard.
[/quote]

Bet some people will believe this [:D]

[/quote]

24 Grand a year rent free aint bad mate considering many people pay half their income on a mortgage these days, put it like that and your earning not far off 50 grand.

It is more akin to an equivelent of 28-30k - which is not bad at all. But then I could have joined other friends who left Cambridge and begun on salaries of over £100k + massive bonuses. Basically I get just over a grand a month (no mortgage but huge bills on a big house) which is comfortable but not lavish

And to the person who has never seen an impoverished priest- good. It would be truly shameful if the church did not provide for her employees. Why should I be impoversihed? That said once you have two children as a priest - you suddenly qualify for most benefits if your wife does not work. So it is not a stroll in the park for some clergy families.

It is more akin to an equivelent of 28-30k - which is not bad at all. But then I could have joined other friends who left Cambridge and begun on salaries of over £100k + massive bonuses. Basically I get just over a grand a month (no mortgage but huge bills on a big house) which is comfortable but not lavish

And to the person who has never seen an impoverished priest- good. It would be truly shameful if the church did not provide for her employees. Why should I be impoversihed? That said once you have two children as a priest - you suddenly qualify for most benefits if your wife does not work. So it is not a stroll in the park for some clergy families.

[/quote]the catholic priests must love it!benefits for what they do best....[:P]

An imaginary friend to talk to too.....

Sexist boys club that leeches off the poor, weak willed and ignorant

Your religion is an accident of birth. Imagine you look into the eyes of your god on your death bed whilst the other gods of the main religions gaze down......as the cloud of eternal night starts to envelop you your god raised a folded piece of card, then slowly opens it to reveal the word ''Bluff''

Ha ha

The great religions of the world deserve each other

[quote user="Arturo Whittlupoli"]My old man used to say that if you not to clever and lazy but want to earn easy money become a head of a trade union or join the clergy. I think he was right in this case![/quote]FYI Some few years ago whilst still working full time in a highly stressful job, my father studied two more degrees and entered the Clergy shortly before his 50th birthday, taking a pay cut of approx 80% in the process. nearly 30 years later and pushing 80 years old he (and my mother) though retired still puts in a good 50 hour week on Church related business, unpaid of course since he technically retired 12 years ago. TAFKAVIGAY as you would expect has produced a fairly accurate list of some of the other duties assumed within the role, believe me as he says it is before he even starts to think, there are properties to manage, prison and hospital chaplaincy duties, deathbed marriages, deathbed baptisms, counselling, fund raising events, CRB checks, newsletters, Christmas visits, hospital visits, school visits, 100 different insurances and licences for often the most bizarre or mundane of things, Cubs, Scouts, Brownies and Guides, liasing with local charities and action groups, and neither last nor least you tend to find yourself most popular when somebody is in trouble and trouble is no respecter of time of day or year or your own plans. Of course you also find time for your own life, your wife and your dog, your children, grandchildren and anyone else who might cross your path. Whilst I cannot disagree at all with your fathers sentiment regarding trades unionists ( I cite Scargill and prescott as the most prominent ''Napoleons'' of the current era) he is however completely wrong about the Clergy this is most definitely not the right move for someone looking for an easy life, not in the 21st Century that''s for sure.I suggest if Mulryne wants a 24 hour a day 365 day a year job from which you only truly retire with flowers but wants to work short hours for good pay he gives the Clergy a wide berth and starts hanging round the Docks late at night looking out for swarthy pinstriped mediterranean looking types with strong sardinian accents carrying violin cases.

Sexist boys club (that is VERY close to slander )  that leeches off the poor (you what? do you have ANY idea about how much homeless work, charity work is done for free by Christians each year in the UK...put it this way remove the church and your tax would likely double), weak willed and ignorant (so Pope Benedict is weak willed- do back this up with evidence please) (ignorant - most of the finest minds in history have been Christian, including many alive today. C. S. Lewis was an Oxford Don, the chap who mapped the Gnome is Christian...I could go on but dont need to)

Your religion is an accident of birth. (tell that to Bishop Michael Nazir-Ali - who survived death threats for converting from Islam in Pakistan) Imagine you look into the eyes of your god on your death bed whilst the other gods of the main religions gaze down.(stupid argument as it is an invented scenario).....as the cloud of eternal night starts to envelop you your god raised a folded piece of card, then slowly opens it to reveal the word ''Bluff''

Ha ha

The great religions of the world deserve each other (and the atheists of this world deserve each other)

Honestly does anyone else find such hate filled polemic unreasonable?

[quote user="IBA"]An imaginary friend to talk to too.....

Sexist boys club that leeches off the poor, weak willed and ignorant

Your religion is an accident of birth. Imagine you look into the eyes of your god on your death bed whilst the other gods of the main religions gaze down......as the cloud of eternal night starts to envelop you your god raised a folded piece of card, then slowly opens it to reveal the word ''Bluff''

Ha ha

The great religions of the world deserve each other[/quote]This is undoubtedly the most inflammatory and insulting piece of puerile drivel ever posted on this board.

[/quote]

Dont forget the choirboy perks [;)]

seconded - horrified to read this

total respectfor preists and what they do for their communitys

As for Mulryne becoming one (if it is indeed true)- good luck to the man - you have to follow your heart

[quote user="The Prisoner"][quote user="IBA"]An imaginary friend to talk to too..... Sexist boys club that leeches off the poor, weak willed and ignorant Your religion is an accident of birth. Imagine you look into the eyes of your god on your death bed whilst the other gods of the main religions gaze down......as the cloud of eternal night starts to envelop you your god raised a folded piece of card, then slowly opens it to reveal the word ''Bluff'' Ha ha The great religions of the world deserve each other[/quote]

This is undoubtedly the most inflammatory and insulting piece of puerile drivel ever posted on this board.

[/quote]Can I just second that I also find this the most inflammmatory and insulting post I have ever read on this site.

[/quote]

Well said Vicar [Y]