Sign in to follow this  
PhatCanary

Sat Jan 17 Barnsley at home show you care

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Arturo Whittlupoli"]

Twist my words all you like....explain this then, why did our average gate go up from around 14,000 to 24,000-and no i dont mean when the South stand was knocked down i mean before? Try and answer honestly rather than spin and bull sh#t. We had gates of 14,000 ish the years before before the promotion fashion brigade knocked Man Utd on the head and actually started to go to games. i had people sat around me who openly admited they used to support Spurs, Liverpool etc but now followed Norwich, and im talking people in there 30s.

[/quote]

Well alright.. keep yer hair on [:''(]

I asked you where they were and stated that the ones around me are pretty much "all their lives" fans. That my friend is a fact. So perhaps they are all in the Jarrold, or the upper Barclay or even the River End. Now the ages they are obviously makes a difference to how long they''ve been a fan! And it''s pretty much accepted that the "kids for a quid" initiatives in the late 90''s were the seeds for an increase in the amount of younger fans this century. And of course the play off final where over 30,000 Norwich fans went to Wales. Maybe some caught the bug there. And of course the boards policy of affordable family football.

When did you catch the bug Arthur.. what was your first game?

[/quote]

I first went during the 48-49 season if my memory serves me right Jonny Gavins first season old first division south. Cant remember where we finished but i remember it wasn''t very impressive, mid table but the following seasons saw us progress. Unfortunately i missed most of the late 50''s as i was stationed abroad in the Armed forces.

[quote user="Arturo Whittlupoli"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Arturo Whittlupoli"]

Twist my words all you like....explain this then, why did our average gate go up from around 14,000 to 24,000-and no i dont mean when the South stand was knocked down i mean before? Try and answer honestly rather than spin and bull sh#t. We had gates of 14,000 ish the years before before the promotion fashion brigade knocked Man Utd on the head and actually started to go to games. i had people sat around me who openly admited they used to support Spurs, Liverpool etc but now followed Norwich, and im talking people in there 30s.

[/quote]

Well alright.. keep yer hair on [:''(]

I asked you where they were and stated that the ones around me are pretty much "all their lives" fans. That my friend is a fact. So perhaps they are all in the Jarrold, or the upper Barclay or even the River End. Now the ages they are obviously makes a difference to how long they''ve been a fan! And it''s pretty much accepted that the "kids for a quid" initiatives in the late 90''s were the seeds for an increase in the amount of younger fans this century. And of course the play off final where over 30,000 Norwich fans went to Wales. Maybe some caught the bug there. And of course the boards policy of affordable family football.

When did you catch the bug Arthur.. what was your first game?

[/quote]

I first went during the 48-49 season if my memory serves me right Jonny Gavins first season old first division south. Cant remember where we finished but i remember it wasn''t very impressive, mid table but the following seasons saw us progress. Unfortunately i missed most of the late 50''s as i was stationed abroad in the Armed forces.

[/quote]

Sorry third division south [:$]

That''s nearly 20 years before I ever went Arthur. I was a "Johnny-Come-Lately" in the 60''s. I was one of the many "Glory Boys" who jumped on board after we beat Man. Utd in 1967. I was 10 and it was the 5th round FA Cup tie against Sheffield Wednesday. There were 42,000 in Carrow Road that day so there was probably a fair few of us started out amongst that lot. Tommy Bryceland became my first hero. However the fans who caught the bug in 1959 probably thought I was "New Age" but everyone has to start somewhere.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

That''s nearly 20 years before I ever went Arthur. I was a "Johnny-Come-Lately" in the 60''s. I was one of the many "Glory Boys" who jumped on board after we beat Man. Utd in 1967. I was 10 and it was the 5th round FA Cup tie against Sheffield Wednesday. There were 42,000 in Carrow Road that day so there was probably a fair few of us started out amongst that lot. Tommy Bryceland became my first hero. However the fans who caught the bug in 1959 probably thought I was "New Age" but everyone has to start somewhere.

[/quote]

My sons first game was two seasons ago when he was eight, by the end of last season he didn''t want to go any more because he was "Bored" and fed up of rubbish football, oh and the fact that we hardly win a game at home anymore! Maybe the fact that some fans who are past a certain age and have had there fill of the glory days of Norwich City is the reason that they don''t seem to bothered with the state of the club at the moment,memorys are a wondefull thing, they forget that some younger fans who''s parents like me take to the game are being brought up on cr*p football played by a bunch of loans players and a manager who is arrogant and talks down to the fans, i may just keep my four year old away because taking him to a City game and saying "here you go this is your club" would be just cruel! Your first Norwich City game should be memorable for all the right reasons not because that was the game that made you into a Man U fan! Thats why i feel that change has to come at the club sooner rather than later because the future of the clubs fan base and the club as a whole is at risk ii we are relegated into league 1.

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="blahblahblah"]

[quote]I`ve never seen the evidence for that 40+ statement- it may be accurate if you go back fifty years but then how valid is that?[/quote]

As far as I''m aware there is no definitive list available, but this article in 2005 suggests 37 clubs into administration from 1992 - 2005.  There have been between 5 and 10 since then, not to mention other clubs like Coventry who were  saved at the 11th hour.  There are many similar articles littered around the internet if you dig for them.

[quote]The pulling of ITV Digital - while Brian Barwick ran ITV Sport - precipitated insolvency for many Football League clubs hovering on the brink. Since 1992, 37 of the League''s 72 clubs, over half, fell into administration or receivership, with clubs relegated from the Premiership collapsing hardest: Ipswich, Leicester, Derby, Bradford, Wimbledon, Barnsley, Queen''s Park Rangers and others.[/quote]

[/quote]

Most of the clubs listed there are above us Blah.....[^o)]

[/quote]

Another point on the above.  Clubs go into administration because of debt and, as we know banks don`t lend money for players, what can we conclude clubs big debts are used for?  Infrastructure and fixed assets.  Us, Charlton and Southampton are good contenders to be the "next wave" of administrations and look at the similarities- lovely posh expensive stadiums, huge debts to pay for them with little left over to bolster struggling teams and placate angry supporters.

Southampton I can see going into administration, their turnover has halved from 04 / 05 to 05 / 06 according to footballeconomy.com, mainly I''d argue as a result of losing TV money.

2005/06*

20.507m

2004/05*

39.317m

Charlton are in a similar boat when their parachute payments expire, as their income will drop into the low 30 millions.

2005/06

41.925m

2004/05

40.714m

2003/04

42.606m

But we''re not there are we ?  We had our parachute payments and came out the other side.  TV money doesn''t make that much of a difference to our turnover now, so why would we go under ?

2006/07

2005/06

2004/05

Oddly, that site is showing all our TV money in 1 season, so maybe this post isn''t worth the e-paper it''s written on.

I`m not talking the next few months blah, but the next few years.  It is highly likely that at least one of those clubs will go down and they will be vulnerable.  In the last financial year we lost £2.5m despite making £3.5m on players and putting the £2.5m value of the hotel stake on the books.  How do you think the picture will look if gates drop to 17k-ish?

Both Ipswich and Leicesters debt was for expensive new stands.  People always point to the danger of spending too much on players but i think the evidence is that racking up huge debts to pay for facilities is even more dangerous.

Btw, i`m not sure when Charlton came down but i can`t see how they could have had a £40m turnover (double Southamptons) in the Championship, so i don`t think those figures are reliable.  I`m pretty sure a turnover of over £30m would be unheard of in this division.

[quote]

I`m not talking the next few months blah, but the next few years.  It is highly likely that at least one of those clubs will go down and they will be vulnerable.  In the last financial year we lost £2.5m despite making £3.5m on players and putting the £2.5m value of the hotel stake on the books.  How do you think the picture will look if gates drop to 17k-ish?

Both Ipswich and Leicesters debt was for expensive new stands.  People always point to the danger of spending too much on players but i think the evidence is that racking up huge debts to pay for facilities is even more dangerous.[/quote]

Hopefully over the next few years, the ridiculous sums of cash that players and their agents recieve will become more sensible.  I''d agree that investing beyond your means is dangerous in any business, regardless of what the money is spent on.  It''s fair to say that the investments were made in better times, a lot of clubs are going to get caught out now, but at least those that own assets have something to sell before they go belly up.

The last accounts were for a period before the recession kicked in and were truly scary IMO.  It has been suggested on here (and backed up by reliable posters) that the Turners recommended major scaling back of the off-pitch stuff which was not acceptable to the other board members who had instigated them.  Our board haven`t exactly got a history of being pro-active and taking decisive action, but i really hope they are not simply prevaricating over inevitable cut-backs because it would be tantamount to an admission of policy failure.....

Anyway, nice to end the year kind of in agreement blah [Y] [:)]

[quote user="PhatCanary"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

My sons first game was two seasons ago when he was eight, by the end of last season he didn''t want to go any more because he was "Bored" and fed up of rubbish football, oh and the fact that we hardly win a game at home anymore! Maybe the fact that some fans who are past a certain age and have had there fill of the glory days of Norwich City is the reason that they don''t seem to bothered with the state of the club at the moment,memorys are a wondefull thing, they forget that some younger fans who''s parents like me take to the game are being brought up on cr*p football played by a bunch of loans players and a manager who is arrogant and talks down to the fans, i may just keep my four year old away because taking him to a City game and saying "here you go this is your club" would be just cruel! Your first Norwich City game should be memorable for all the right reasons not because that was the game that made you into a Man U fan! Thats why i feel that change has to come at the club sooner rather than later because the future of the clubs fan base and the club as a whole is at risk ii we are relegated into league 1.

[/quote]

Sorry Phat but that''s an absolute load of claptrap![:O] What is your obsession with what other fans do all about? Do you think because I''m older I don''t want to see City win? So you think that I went to Palace yet again on Boxing Day and am going to Charlton on Saturday to enjoy seeing my team beaten? It''s my view that to protest at this time and try and force issues would be harmful to the club. I have that view because I care about the club and don''t want to see it dragged down further. It''s my view that to try and force a change of manager halfway through January would have no benefit. It''s also my view that to try force the board out halfway through January would have no benefit. I am entitled to that opinion Phat. And by having that opinion I am no less of a fan than you. Just as you are entitled to believe that to protest is the right way to go, thats your opinion and having it makes you no less of a fan than me. So on this message board we can debate the issues. I can put forward my point of view and you can yours. The views are heartfelt opinions of committed City Fans but neither has the right to accuse the other of not caring or wanting success.

Just to elaborate a little more about families my friend. My son was 5 when I first took him but that was back in the 80''s when football was not so "family friendly". We watched a 0-0 draw against West Ham from the old Main Stand and he dinn''t complain once and he became hooked. I wouldn''t have taken him if I thought he was going to act up, selfish I know but I love my football. My daughter started going just after we got relegated in the 90''s so it was a different experience entirely for her. They are both committed still although my daughter doesn''t get so angry about our current poor position. Maybe that''s because she didn''t witness the glory days that my son did or maybe it''s because she''s a bit more like me. But they both care passionately about the club and share a season ticket next to me. Of my four grandchildren the youngest grandson (my daughters son)was 5 a couple of weeks ago but he''s already been to many games. He''s even been to 3 away games with us the first time when he was just 2! He loves it and I think will get the bug like us. My sons two children are seven and five, and I think would be a nightmare to take, but he''s doing it for the Barnsley game. Good luck to him and the people who sit around him because I don''t think they''ll settle at all. Some kids take to it others don''t! My youngest granddaughter is only one so time will tell! But I can tell you that I am a proud man to have both my children as City fans and will be even prouder if the grandkids turn out the same way[Y]

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

The last accounts were for a period before the recession kicked in and were truly scary IMO.  It has been suggested on here (and backed up by reliable posters) that the Turners recommended major scaling back of the off-pitch stuff which was not acceptable to the other board members who had instigated them.  Our board haven`t exactly got a history of being pro-active and taking decisive action, but i really hope they are not simply prevaricating over inevitable cut-backs because it would be tantamount to an admission of policy failure.....

Anyway, nice to end the year kind of in agreement blah [Y] [:)]

[/quote]

It was bound to happen evetually Mr.C [:)] Happy new year !

where is it "derailed OT" Astro?

The OP stated "Fans must protest to show they care" I don''t agree.

[/quote]

Actually the OP stated "Surely the fans must protest or arrive 5 minutes late or do bloody something, we must do something!"  it doesn''t say we MUST protest at all!!

[/quote]

Actually the OP stated "Surely the fans must protest or arrive 5 minutes late or do bloody something, we must do something!"  it doesn''t say we MUST protest at all!!

[/quote]

It also said that fans who didn''t agree with you "couldn''t give a sh*t if we win or lose". And subsequent posts suggested that I couldn''t see the poor position the club is in. I will ask you again Phat - What is it you hope to achieve? My view is that a change of manager at this time would be worse than keeping the one we have. I have to believe that Roeder has already put the wheels in motion for the transfer window so doing "something" to get him out halfway through January would have no benefit to us. Likewise the board, they have obviously provided some sort of budget for January so changing them now would have no benefit either. In my opinion, in these days of transfer windows, the time to change the manager is Oct/Nov or the end of the season. And if their is to be major upheaval in the boardroom the same applies.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="PhatCanary"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It also said that fans who didn''t agree with you "couldn''t give a sh*t if we win or lose". And subsequent posts suggested that I couldn''t see the poor position the club is in. I will ask you again Phat - What is it you hope to achieve? My view is that a change of manager at this time would be worse than keeping the one we have. I have to believe that Roeder has already put the wheels in motion for the transfer window so doing "something" to get him out halfway through January would have no benefit to us. Likewise the board, they have obviously provided some sort of budget for January so changing them now would have no benefit either. In my opinion, in these days of transfer windows, the time to change the manager is Oct/Nov or the end of the season. And if their is to be major upheaval in the boardroom the same applies.

[/quote]

I''m sorry Nutty but your first line is cr*p, i never said that fans who don''t agree with me couldn''t give a sh*t, read the OP again and you will realise that your last two posts aimed at me you have incorrectly quoted me.

Moving on, What do i hope to achieve you ask, well a Football team to be proud of again and a board that we can all trust to make the correct decisions, i want to go to Carrow Road looking forward to the game like in the past, not dreading what team would show up, for me the biggest problem is that the team are not a team, they have 1 good game in 5, the manager is the man who picks and motivates the team and i believe Roeder, like he did as manager of West Ham and Newcastle has run out of ideas,  when Roeder was appointed and others ranted and raved that he would do the same as he did in his previous positions i called for him to be given time and a chance to change things around, well i was totally wrong about that because for me he has made to many mistakes regarding the squad and players coming in and out, if we could get the right man in to take over and get the team playing as a team again we would have a better chance of staying up, at the moment i have no faith in the board or manager at the club and what is obvious is that there is no white knight waiting in the wings to takeover from Delia, but i believe that there are better managers to pull us out of trouble in the league than Roeder, a man who is failing as manager of Norwich City both on and of the field.

[quote user="PhatCanary"]

Surely the fans must protest or arrive 5 minutes late or do bloody something, we must do something! I can''t take this shi* any longer, the lack of any movement, maybe it''s time we moved the club forward ourselves,and don''t give me the same old line about "protests don''t help" at least it will show who gives a to** about the club falling apart and who''s happy to just keep ploding along! If a good few thousand act at the Barnsley game we CAN make a change happen. Cue the "happy to just get out of the house fans who honestly couldn''t give a sh*t if we win or lose" and their usual line about "supporting the club through the good and the bad" well i''m afraid i''ve been pushed to far this time,the pathetic showing against Forest and then Roeder on the radio prepering us for another sh*t transfer window down at good old Carrow Road. Heroes?, my ar*e.Time to rebuild?, that time has come and gone. Fans sticking together for the best of the club? Lets hope so.

[/quote]

So there''s no confusion that''s what you said.

As for what you hope to achieve, I think there probably are better managers than Roeder about but I also don''t see the benefit of changing the manager halfway through the transfer window.

I think that sometimes when some of usk things like "what do you hope to achieve" there is a confusion about means and ends.Nobody could argue against you Nutty for wanting "a football team to be proud of" - what is less clear to us is how protesting/ getting rid of Delia etc will necessarily produce the end we all seek. After all we were promised that everything would be ok if we got rid of Worthington but things have got worse. How do we know that getting rid of everything we don''t like will make things better in the long run?

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="PhatCanary"]

Surely the fans must protest or arrive 5 minutes late or do bloody something, we must do something! I can''t take this shi* any longer, the lack of any movement, maybe it''s time we moved the club forward ourselves,and don''t give me the same old line about "protests don''t help" at least it will show who gives a to** about the club falling apart and who''s happy to just keep ploding along! If a good few thousand act at the Barnsley game we CAN make a change happen. Cue the "happy to just get out of the house fans who honestly couldn''t give a sh*t if we win or lose" and their usual line about "supporting the club through the good and the bad" well i''m afraid i''ve been pushed to far this time,the pathetic showing against Forest and then Roeder on the radio prepering us for another sh*t transfer window down at good old Carrow Road. Heroes?, my ar*e.Time to rebuild?, that time has come and gone. Fans sticking together for the best of the club? Lets hope so.

[/quote]

So there''s no confusion that''s what you said.

As for what you hope to achieve, I think there probably are better managers than Roeder about but I also don''t see the benefit of changing the manager halfway through the transfer window.

[/quote]

Exactly thats what i said, not what you made out i said.

As for changing manager halfway through the window..erm it''s January 1st there still a full month to go, the manager should have already been replaced to give the a manager more time to bring in some new faces but as we all know Roeder is still the boss, even if he was sacked next weekend or the weekend after that i honestly believe that the new manager would have enough time to add to the squad, and if the board got the appointment correct..erm...moving on, then we would stand a chance of moving forward as a club.

[quote user="Badger"]
I think that sometimes when some of usk things like "what do you hope to achieve" there is a confusion about means and ends.

Nobody could argue against you Nutty for wanting "a football team to be proud of" - what is less clear to us is how protesting/ getting rid of Delia etc will necessarily produce the end we all seek. After all we were promised that everything would be ok if we got rid of Worthington but things have got worse.

How do we know that getting rid of everything we don''t like will make things better in the long run?

[/quote]

Worthy had to go he had become totally stale, and things became worse because the board got it SO wrong with Grant.

[quote user="PhatCanary"]

As for changing manager halfway through the window..erm it''s January 1st there still a full month to go, the manager should have already been replaced to give the a manager more time to bring in some new faces but as we all know Roeder is still the boss, even if he was sacked next weekend or the weekend after that i honestly believe that the new manager would have enough time to add to the squad, and if the board got the appointment correct..erm...moving on, then we would stand a chance of moving forward as a club.

[/quote]

erm the Barnsley game is January 17th it says so in your title of your thread word for word!

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="PhatCanary"]

[/quote]

erm the Barnsley game is January 17th it says so in your title of your thread word for word!

[/quote]

Moving the goal posts again!! ok then Nutty, Lets face it this board hasn''t not have the guts to admit another mistake and Roeder will be left to drag us down, he should be sacked by January 17th but i bet he won''t be, and the next home game being on the 17th  is why i thought it would be a good time to stand up and be counted. The OP isn''t about sacking Roeder it''s about the fans pulling together and showing that we have had enough,well most of us have. 

[quote user="PhatCanary"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="PhatCanary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Moving the goal posts again!! ok then Nutty, Lets face it this board hasn''t not have the guts to admit another mistake and Roeder will be left to drag us down, he should be sacked by January 17th but i bet he won''t be, and the next home game being on the 17th  is why i thought it would be a good time to stand up and be counted. The OP isn''t about sacking Roeder it''s about the fans pulling together and showing that we have had enough,well most of us have. 

[/quote]

Well hopefully the fans will pull together on Saturday at Charlton. Afterall we usually do. And get behind the team like we usually do. If the performance is good the fans will recognise it, they usually do. If we are rubbish and get beat the fans will react which they have every right to do. The away fans are usually the first to react when things are bad. I would imagine the first sustained and loud board out/Roeder out chants will come from the away fans. It certainly was the case with Worthy.

As for moving the goalposts. The thread was about what you believe fans should do on 17th Jan. My point was that it wasn''t a good time to make changes. They were your goalposts and you subsequently moved them.

The regular away fans who i have nothing but respect for see the team in all it''s glory week in week out and i hope if the team put in another rubbish showing then they let Roeder and the board have it, the thing is the board will ignore the fans, they usually do!!

Well hopefully the fans will pull together on Saturday at Charlton. Afterall we usually do. And get behind the team like we usually do. If the performance is good the fans will recognise it, they usually do. If we are rubbish and get beat the fans will react which they have every right to do. The away fans are usually the first to react when things are bad. I would imagine the first sustained and loud board out/Roeder out chants will come from the away fans. It certainly was the case with Worthy.

As for moving the goalposts. The thread was about what you believe fans should do on 17th Jan. My point was that it wasn''t a good time to make changes. They were your goalposts and you subsequently moved them.

[/quote]

Hear hear! And after OTBC, my favourite anthemn for stirringt he blood when the chips are down is "Norwcih City, Norwich City - we''ll support you evermore!" to the tunr of "Bread of Heaven". If you should want to slag Roeder then may I suggest a second verse: "Glenn Roeder, Glenn Roeder - you''r a rummun you are bor''!". May not understand the Norfolk dialect but am sure he''ll get the drift.......

The board will be there with the fans, they usually are!!

[/quote]

And so they bloody should be, they should be forced to watch their mistakes played out on a cold afternoon in Charlton. I actually hope the team play well for the sake of the two or three thousand fans that travel, i would never wish for City to get beaten but if we did lose the board and Roeder will be under pressure from more than just a few fans like me who have had a gut full.

[/quote]

And so they bloody should be, they should be forced to watch their mistakes played out on a cold afternoon in Charlton. I actually hope the team play well for the sake of the two or three thousand fans that travel, i would never wish for City to get beaten but if we did lose the board and Roeder will be under pressure from more than just a few fans like me who have had a gut full.

[/quote]

It''s a catch 22 really Phat because Delia suffers the same as you and I when we lose. It''s a huge commitment to watch a football team home and away. Not just financial but emtional. There was a time last season where our away results were better than our home results. But that doesn''t happen very often. Tell you what though - there''s nothing sweeter than an away win for all fans!

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="PhatCanary"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It''s a catch 22 really Phat because Delia suffers the same as you and I when we lose. It''s a huge commitment to watch a football team home and away. Not just financial but emtional. There was a time last season where our away results were better than our home results. But that doesn''t happen very often. Tell you what though - there''s nothing sweeter than an away win for all fans!

[/quote]

I do honestly believe that Delia feels the same as us regular fans but she has the power the make those feeling go away,or at least make us feel them less often, she can change things at the club for the better.