chicken

Clubs vote for 'home-grown' rule

"The Football League has voted overwhelmingly in

favour of implementing new quotas on home-grown players from the start

of next season.

At least four players in every 16-man match-day squad will have

to have been registered domestically for at least three years before

their 21st birthday.

Football League chairman Lord Mawhinney praised the clubs for their decision.

"Players coming through will have a greater chance to demonstrate their talent at first-team level," he said.

The new rule is in line with Uefa''s approach and

means players who have spent long enough registered to a domestic club

will be considered as "home grown" regardless of their nationality.

Fifa had proposed a "six-plus-five" rule - which would have limited the

number of foreign players to five - but this ran into problems with

European law.

"I would like to compliment Football League clubs for having the

foresight to make changes that will benefit the wider game," added

Mawhinney.

"League clubs are at the forefront of developing young playing

talent for the domestic game and are investing more than £40m a season

in this important area."

The Football League proposal was voted in at a meeting at Derby County''s Pride Park ground."I thought this may be an interesting read for you all. From next season we will have to have four players in the squad that are home grown. I think that we may see some youngsters given a go towards the end of this season if not before. In my opinion it is the first step in the right direction although I believe the football league is a different entity to the Premiership. It would spank those big spending teams and force better support of the academies.

Technically it would seem that only premiership teams could still poach players unless my understanding is wrong.It says they would have to be registered with that team for three years prior to age 21. Now what is interesting about that rule is that we have one such player in our squad already - Russell.I am also guessing that by registered they also include academy scholarships. So you couldn''t buy an 18 year old and straight away count him as one of the quota. I mean I could be drastically wrong but I think that is what is implied at least.Otherwise as you say it means that it''s a ruling that only encourages young player poaching - something I know that Platini and FIFA are against.

[quote user="chicken"]Technically it would seem that only premiership teams could still poach players unless my understanding is wrong.It says they would have to be registered with that team for three years prior to age 21. Now what is interesting about that rule is that we have one such player in our squad already - Russell.I am also guessing that by registered they also include academy scholarships. So you couldn''t buy an 18 year old and straight away count him as one of the quota. I mean I could be drastically wrong but I think that is what is implied at least.Otherwise as you say it means that it''s a ruling that only encourages young player poaching - something I know that Platini and FIFA are against.[/quote]Oops - I was wrong, looks like you were right. Damn you can''t edit on here - that sucks!Domestically home grown will include any player registered for three years prior to their 21st birthday in this country. So that includes Cort, Patty, Russell, Bell and Croft. So basically sounds like it doesn''t make an ounce of difference at this level really.Although it seems there may be obvious floors to this - eg if another Ian Wright was discovered he would not count even though he is sort of home grown.

Are you saying we only have one such player at the moment who is regularly in the first team squad - surely not?  I guess Marshall / Doherty / Clingan / Fotheringham / Hoolahan don''t count as "domestic" cos'' they were born outside England, but surely Croft / Bell / Drury / Bertand do?   So we qualify quite easily and I guess other clubs will as well so not a lot of change really. 

A start but the playing field will continue to be wonky for home grown talent!

[quote user="chicken"]Domestically home grown will include any player registered for three years prior to their 21st birthday in this country. So that includes Cort, Patty, Russell, Bell and Croft. So basically sounds like it doesn''t make an ounce of difference at this level really.

[/quote]

It would also include Stefanovic, Sibierski and Clingan as being ''domestically home grown''. I fail to see how this is going to affect or benefit any of the 72 teams in The Football League.

Lot of spin not a lot of substance if you ask me. Requirement appears to be that they have been registered to an English Club for 3 years before the age of 21 but can be any nationality. By my reckoninng that even includes Lupoli and our squad from last saturday would not be affected at all.

Designed to placate then likes of Wenger if it ever gets rolled out to the top division.

By home grown if they do mean in England like everyone has pointed out it doesn''t really change anything, if it meant 3 years registered to a specific club this would seriously help with youth development.  Its a shame the EU has so many stupid rules the whole no more than 5 foreigners rule would have been great and we would certianly have started to see more promising English talent for the national team.

"The new rule is in line with Uefa''s approach and means players who have spent long enough registered to a domestic club will be considered as "home grown" regardless of their nationality. "

The player can be any nationality as long as they have been registered for at least 3 years. Can someone explain whether or not the 4 players have to be registered to the club they are playing for for 3 years or just to a club in the football league?

Sorry for the dumb question[:$]

[quote user="Christov"]By home grown if they do mean in England like everyone has pointed out it doesn''t really change anything, if it meant 3 years registered to a specific club this would seriously help with youth development.  Its a shame the EU has so many stupid rules the whole no more than 5 foreigners rule would have been great and we would certianly have started to see more promising English talent for the national team.
[/quote]

Apologies, missed your post. I share your opinion that if it was that they have to be registered with the same club for 3 years, it is a useful rule, otherwise a waste of time!