Sign in to follow this  
Heffers Canary

Delia and Sister Wendy Beckett

Just thought I''d post to say they both came into the shop I work in today. As I work in Cambridge surrounded by cobbled streets, I totally wasn''t expecting to ever see either of them come in so it was a nice surprise. I went up to help both of them as I work in a bookshop and our manager was around, and mentioned to Delia I was a Norwich fan. She seemed quite startled and looked to put it bluntly completely shattered and I think she thought I was going to attack her or something. As much as I hate the situation at the club, I was very polite to her and was finding the books she was after whilst talking about the situation at the club and she kept on saying " We are doing our best for you, I promise we are doing our best", and do you know what, call me a sucker, but looking at her, I believed her.

Plus Sister Wendy rocks man!! I got a kiss on the cheek from a Nun and she kept holding my hand!! I want her as my Nan!! I found this huge copy of the Macclesfield Psalter she was after and carried it out to their car for her as I though she would bloody topple over if she had to carry it, and she kept saying "bless you, you are a good girl, I''m a Norwich fan too".

Anyway, just thought I''d let you all know, that I think at the moment whatever wrongs she may have done in the past, she is suffering with the rest of us at the moment.

Smudger, CT et al, please don''t be nasty!! I''m only being honest!

Interesting comments regarding Delia, but may I ask, who on earth is Sister Wendy Beckett??? Is she like a celebrity Nun or something? No malice intended, I''m just curious!

shes a famous art historian / nun! I never really knew about her til I started working here because we are surrounded by loads of the colleges where she is quite well known. You have to google her, she rocks!

[quote user="Clipped Canary"]Interesting comments regarding Delia, but may I ask, who on earth is Sister Wendy Beckett??? Is she like a celebrity Nun or something? No malice intended, I''m just curious![/quote]

Yes she''s just that - a celebrity nun!  She had a TV series about 10 years ago where she explained famous paintings to the likes of you and me and it was a huge hit.  Rather like Delia and cookery in fact.  She''s produced several books too.  She lives at the Carmelite convent at Quidenham.

I know she wants the best for us and that is why I keep believing in our club and the board that the result of this will be the right thing for our club.I DO appreciate what she has done for us and i do understand that the world of football finance and take-overs is something very complex and is not all that it seems. She has made some very bad mistakes but I think she probably understands this and I think deep down she IS as big a City fan as all of us and thus wants the best for the club  I still want her and her board  OUT

[quote user="CT "]I know she wants the best for us and that is why I keep believing in our club and the board that the result of this will be the right thing for our club.I DO appreciate what she has done for us and i do understand that the world of football finance and take-overs is something very complex and is not all that it seems. She has made some very bad mistakes but I think she probably understands this and I think deep down she IS as big a City fan as all of us and thus wants the best for the club  I still want her and her board  OUT [/quote]Sister Wendy to take-over, with God on our side we cannot lose - divine intervention.

Thanks for that HC.

I''ve met Delia a few times but only at football related events so it must make a change for her to meet a City supporter in a non-football environment. When I''ve met her she always  seemed a genuine supporter who wants what''s best for the Club but running a football club really is a mug''s game as there''s no hiding place when things go wrong, as they inevitably will at some stage.

Do like the modesty about working " in a bookshop "...........working in Heffers is a bit like someone working in Harrods saying they work " in a department store ". 

[quote user="Heffers Canary"]

Just thought I''d post to say they both came into the shop I work in today. As I work in Cambridge surrounded by cobbled streets, I totally wasn''t expecting to ever see either of them come in so it was a nice surprise. I went up to help both of them as I work in a bookshop and our manager was around, and mentioned to Delia I was a Norwich fan. She seemed quite startled and looked to put it bluntly completely shattered and I think she thought I was going to attack her or something. As much as I hate the situation at the club, I was very polite to her and was finding the books she was after whilst talking about the situation at the club and she kept on saying " We are doing our best for you, I promise we are doing our best", and do you know what, call me a sucker, but looking at her, I believed her.

Plus Sister Wendy rocks man!! I got a kiss on the cheek from a Nun and she kept holding my hand!! I want her as my Nan!! I found this huge copy of the Macclesfield Psalter she was after and carried it out to their car for her as I though she would bloody topple over if she had to carry it, and she kept saying "bless you, you are a good girl, I''m a Norwich fan too".

Anyway, just thought I''d let you all know, that I think at the moment whatever wrongs she may have done in the past, she is suffering with the rest of us at the moment.

Smudger, CT et al, please don''t be nasty!! I''m only being honest!

[/quote]

If you are indeed a good girl, then maybe Sister Wendy could introduce us Heffers??? [:$]

I sure as hell would of had problems keeping my emotions in check... I would of probably made a few coy comments to Delia like "and would you like a green bag or a BLUE bag to put them in"???

[quote user="Smudger"]

If you are indeed a good girl, then maybe Sister Wendy could introduce us Heffers??? [:$]

I sure as hell would of had problems keeping my emotions in check... I would of probably made a few coy comments to Delia like "and would you like a green bag or a BLUE bag to put them in"???

[/quote]To be fair Smudge old bean, I''d have trouble picturing you working in a quiet bookshop.  In a hotel in Torquay in 1976, possibly...

Oh smudge you sly old dog, I''d have you wrapped round my little finger in no time! To be honest she looked so bloody crestfallen and defensive as soon as I went up to her, I think even you wouldn''t have had it in your soul to be nasty! Bearing in mind a Nun was around aswell!!

With regards to working in Heffers a) its pretty shitty at the moment with lots of pay freezes and redundancies etc! and b) Ive worked there since I was 15 and always thought it was quite apt because Ive never been skinny!!

Sister Wendy didn''t have any pearls of wisdom, she just wouldn''t let go of my hand!! She got a bit antsy when she walked past a Richard Dawkins book, and Delia joked she was going to buy it for her for Christmas. She was like, "No THANK YOU,  but if you (ie:Delia), want to rot your mind then go ahead!!"

All in all beats serving Rory Mcgrath the other day and Luke Chadwick when I used to work in the Grafton Centre (the Chavtastic side of Cambridge!)

aah the delightful Heffers! I was in Cambridge for 7 years- loved every moment. I vaguely knew Mcgrath- bit of a wally when I met him. If you are in Cambridge- pop to the S. Radegund arms on King Street- best pub E|VER fact. And my piccy is still on the wall!

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

To be fair Smudge old bean, I''d have trouble picturing you working in a quiet bookshop.  In a hotel in Torquay in 1976, possibly...
[/quote]

hush your tongue dear boy... or "I will have to give you a damn good thrashing!!!" [;)]

[quote user="Heffers Canary"]

Oh smudge you sly old dog, I''d have you wrapped round my little finger in no time! To be honest she looked so bloody crestfallen and defensive as soon as I went up to her, I think even you wouldn''t have had it in your soul to be nasty! Bearing in mind a Nun was around aswell!!

With regards to working in Heffers a) its pretty shitty at the moment with lots of pay freezes and redundancies etc! and b) Ive worked there since I was 15 and always thought it was quite apt because Ive never been skinny!!

Sister Wendy didn''t have any pearls of wisdom, she just wouldn''t let go of my hand!! She got a bit antsy when she walked past a Richard Dawkins book, and Delia joked she was going to buy it for her for Christmas. She was like, "No THANK YOU,  but if you (ie:Delia), want to rot your mind then go ahead!!"

All in all beats serving Rory Mcgrath the other day and Luke Chadwick when I used to work in the Grafton Centre (the Chavtastic side of Cambridge!)

[/quote]

How would you manage to do that Heffers?  Do you cook a mean roast dinner????

You are right, no way would I have had it in me with Sister Wendy perched on her shoulder and Delia looking sorry for herself.  That would of still not stopped the not so obvious wise crack if they came to me at that moment in time though.

I think I may of asked Sister Wendy to say a prayer for us... [:D]

[quote user="CT "]I know she wants the best for us and that is why I keep believing in our club and the board that the result of this will be the right thing for our club.

I DO appreciate what she has done for us and i do understand that the world of football finance and take-overs is something very complex and is not all that it seems.

She has made some very bad mistakes but I think she probably understands this and I think deep down she IS as big a City fan as all of us and thus wants the best for the club

I still want her and her board  OUT
[/quote]

Well said CT. I could not agree more.

I have a lot of respect for what she has done and I do want her to stay at the club in some way. I don''t like all the personal abuse she gets and does not deserve it. I have said that I want new ownership and a new direction and that means that Delia will have to go. I''m not one for the abuse and demos against her as I think it would serve no purpose at all. Its all well and good saying that we need to scream and shout for her to leave but if there is no one at the end with the dollar, then we won''t have a new owner. Yes I know about the PC thing like others but there is still a lot of truths to come out from both sides...............

Heffers,

I am slightly confused. Did Sister Wendy come into your bookshop together or was it a coincidence that they were there at the same time (Sister Wendy obviously overheard your convsersation about being a Norwich fan).

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Heffers Canary"]

[/quote]

You are right, no way would I have had it in me with Sister Wendy perched on her shoulder and Delia looking sorry for herself.  That would of still not stopped the not so obvious wise crack if they came to me at that moment in time though.

[/quote]

I suspect she would have prayed for you Smudger.

[quote user="swindoncanary"]The big story here is that Sister Wendy Beckett is a Norwich Fan !
[/quote]

Well, if she''s been seeking divine assistance, her success rate has not been any better than some of our recent managers.

Thank god someone is starting to belive that delia is doing her best, She is a good woman and all she cares about is ncfc. GIVE HER A BREAK!

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Heffers Canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

God bless her soul... [:$]

[quote user="kiwiNCFC"]Thank god someone is starting to belive that delia is doing her best, She is a good woman and all she cares about is ncfc. GIVE HER A BREAK!
[/quote]

mmm must be why she was seen in blue all them years ago and lives in deepest darkest Suffolk???

[quote user="Smudger"]

[quote user="kiwiNCFC"]Thank god someone is starting to belive that delia is doing her best, She is a good woman and all she cares about is ncfc. GIVE HER A BREAK![/quote]

mmm must be why she was seen in blue all them years ago and lives in deepest darkest Suffolk???

[/quote]Oh my god! I live in Suffolk! That must mean I have to support Ipswich!!! Hang on though, I was born in Norwich! What does this mean?? Oh, dear Smudge, what a quandary you''ve put me in............[*-)]

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Heffers Canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Prayer is all we have left Smudge.

[quote user="Clipped Canary"][quote user="Smudger"]

[quote user="kiwiNCFC"]Thank god someone is starting to belive that delia is doing her best, She is a good woman and all she cares about is ncfc. GIVE HER A BREAK!
[/quote]

[/quote]

Oh my god! I live in Suffolk! That must mean I have to support Ipswich!!! Hang on though, I was born in Norwich! What does this mean?? Oh, dear Smudge, what a quandary you''ve put me in............[*-)]
[/quote]

Ahhhhhhh but have you been caught wearing the blue & white also Clipped???

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Heffers Canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Prayer is all we have left Smudge.

[/quote]

It certainly looks that way doesn''t it Ricardo?

We pary that Delia finds a buyer soon... we pray that there are 3 worse teams than us... we pray that Mr Roeder can patch up his thread bare squad in January... etc etc.