Sign in to follow this  
gissing canary

Elliot Omu the perfect man for the Doc?

Doc last season and on and off since we came down has been our best defender - remember he won player of the year and last season was better than Shax.  But we all know Docs weaknesses, prone to errors, lack of confidence and PACE!  I am still unsure if Doc could be a centre half in a promotion winning team, but thats another question, when we get a team anywhere near it we can worry about him then, as shown yesterday he is key to our survival.

My arguement is that when they have partnered this season, I understand we have kept our only clean sheets, I might be wrong but I think its what was said on radio norfolk yesterday?  Doc is now older and has played a hell of a lot more games for us, but I think his pace and less than youthful energy concerns him and makes him prone to his errors even more, like when he is chasing someone back to goal, it tends to be his prefered time to foul.  But with Elliot next to him, maybe the youthfulness and Doc now feeling he needs to lead more but having someone who is better on the ground and quicker over 10yards allows him to go about HIS game better, which as shown yesterday is his aerial prowess.

What does anyone else think?  Also on football manager I got Elliot on a free at the end of this season, are they right, if so could we really?

Also I am not saying we dont need at least one centre half in jan but should be consider Elliot a CB rather than full back?

Elliot never really impressed me as a right back, however I am beginning to think we need someone who can offer more than Otsemobor does, he really does wind me up at time with his poor judgement and playing it safe as he did yesterday, took him far too long to get forward, around 75 minutes.

Omozusi looks terrific at center back, and it seems as you say, with Omozusi having defensive pace and judgement, the pressure seems to be off Doc a bit and as you say he gave a defensive master-class yesterday in the air, also I feel Doherty makes a very good captain.

I was in row C of the Jarrold and could hear a lot of communication from the players, Doherty was there at all times, giving orders and encouragement to the midfield as he could clearly tell things didn''t seem right there.

My main concert is the full backs at the club...

Doherty, Kennedy and Stefanovic are all very good defenders in my opinion but the 1 thing lacking when they play together is PACE, with Omozusi we look very short as a side but we''re not as likely to get caught out with the ball in behind, you only have to look at how many red cards or penalties with conceded because of it.

A lot of people say how slow the Doc is but I''ve never seen it to be honest, he does have a bit of pace about him for a big bloke, and he was always quicker than Shackell, I''ve always rated the Doc and was starting to get fed up with people blaming him for everything on this forum, glad to see he is finally getting the recognition he deserves!

I''m probably wring, but I seem to remember reading or hearing somewhere that when they ran 100 meters races in training at Colney the Doc was second or third quickest? It might have been a couple of years back mind you.My biggest concern is that he can''t stop wrestling with the opposition, and reguarly gives away free kicks because of that, but otherwise he''s a solid player, and seems the best choice as captain we''ve had this season.

[quote user="Nuff Said"]I''m probably wring, but I seem to remember reading or hearing somewhere that when they ran 100 meters races in training at Colney the Doc was second or third quickest? It might have been a couple of years back mind you.

My biggest concern is that he can''t stop wrestling with the opposition, and reguarly gives away free kicks because of that, but otherwise he''s a solid player, and seems the best choice as captain we''ve had this season.
[/quote]

You could be right on that but dont know, maybe just appearance, but seems slow over that all important first 5-10yards, or he thinks he is as thats when he seems to do the most wrestling.  I remember the Burnley came most a couple of seasons agop when the guy lost him and he rugby tackled him.

As someone else said he was / is better than shax but sadly at the moment every player seems to get it at some point, Doc, Hughes, Fozzy - last season was lauded now hated, Drury, Jamie, Crofty.......  The thing is playing in a struggling team with no confidence with all the changes even our better players, where I PERSONALLY put Croft, Drury and Doc will struggle but get the right players with them, then we can improve. 

[quote user="Nuff Said"]I''m probably wring, but I seem to remember reading or hearing somewhere that when they ran 100 meters races in training at Colney the Doc was second or third quickest? It might have been a couple of years back mind you.My biggest concern is that he can''t stop wrestling with the opposition, and reguarly gives away free kicks because of that, but otherwise he''s a solid player, and seems the best choice as captain we''ve had this season.[/quote]He has good pace but not very good acceleration. You can see it when he is getting back from a corner or similar whilst the other team are on the counter.

All I will say is they played very well on saturday. I think you are right to have someone like elliott alongside the doc and if he makes a mistake then elliott''s pace might save the day. Let just hope they continue to play well together.

I am not the doc''s biggest fan, but he played very well on Saturday and maybe Omozusi does bring the best out of him.

Doc last season and on and off since we came down has been our best defender - remember he won player of the year and last season was better than Shax.  But we all know Docs weaknesses, prone to errors, lack of confidence and PACE!  I am still unsure if Doc could be a centre half in a promotion winning team, but thats another question, when we get a team anywhere near it we can worry about him then, - gissing canary

With an endorsement like that, it is painfully obvious we need an entire new defensive corp.  Our defense has been a seive since Doherty arrived.  You admit he is slow, error ridden, unconfident, and other commenters have likewise glorified him while pointing out his clumsiness and lack of intelligence.  And he is out BEST defender?  Holy crapoli, what does that say about the others?  if this was cricket, and he made a bad play that cost us a score each game, no biggie because he does do a decent job most of the time.  Unfortunately, this is football, and as yesterday''s game proves, one goal can mean the entire difference in the game.  He almost gave one up when he headed the ball straight to an attacking Charlton player. It was just another mistake, but it easily could have been another very costly mistake.