Sign in to follow this  
Delias Tasty Nibblets

Interesting Loan Perspective..!

An interesting perspective on loan players...

Random I know, but my university course mates younger brother plays for a Championship tea, and was recently loaned out to a team in the conference. I was chatting to him recently after a game at a side local to my university, and he told me that he was told of the offer, and he said he didnt want to go, to which the reply was ''go, or dont bother turning up for training for the next few months''. So grudgingly..off he went, very unhappy, and desperate to get back to his parent club.

Do you think any of our loan players could have been in this position? I personally think its pretty harsh to treat a young player like that, especially seeing as hes only 18 years old.

I don''t think its harsh at all. You want to be a pro footballer, earn your stripes. Even David Beckham has to go out on loan as a young pro at Man U. Shows character to go out on loan and do a job.

As far as are any of our players like this? I hope not. I hope GR loans players with the right character. But, with the "footballers wife" culture in the game, and players expecting to make a lot of money before they have done anything, I think there is a good chance some players were forced to come here.

As a pro footballer you are contracted to a football club. That football team is run by a manager. The managers job is to manage the players and the team in the way he decides is most benefical to all and to maximise the potential of all the players that he has at his disposal. Part of that can be sending players out on loan who are out of / or on the fringe of the first team. He''ll do this to get them match fit, give them regular football, aid them in their growing up and maturity as footballers, or put them in the shop window. What I am saying is managers may well decide that it''s best for certain players to go out on loan, and whether they are in full agreement or not, thats what they will be expected to go.  

So it is very possible that we may have players who come here on loan have arrived with a degree of reluctance. But then wecome back to the subject of managers again. It''s the managers job to do what''s best for his team and to get the maximum return from the players he brings in. So the manager has then the job of evaluating the players he is bringing in. He needs to decide if their mind sets are right and if they are coming to the club for the right reasons and motivations.

I think the problems start to arise when a manager starts to bring in players out of desparation, when its a matter of getting players in for the sake of getting players in because there are holes in the squad that need to be filled, or injuries that need to be covered. I have a feeling that a certain striker (who is actually a midfielder) that we aquired from Wigan at the close of the last transfer widow is possibly an example of this.