Sign in to follow this  
Xavi- Poor Mans Ian Crook

David Bell

Where was he yesterday becaue he certainly wasn''t at Carrow Road. He looked slower than ever, so predictable on the brief occasions he could get the ball out of his feet. Also his delivery was off as well, couldn''t cross past the first man. On that form i would swap him Ward. Maybe give Lappin a run out but we all know the chances of that happening are about as good as the pope and leroy lita sharing the same taste in music.

True, I think part of the problem was our willingness to always try to get the ball out wide even when there clearly was nothing doing.

Still we know what he can do, we just need to use him right.

[quote user="Steve H"]

True, I think part of the problem was our willingness to always try to get the ball out wide even when there clearly was nothing doing.

Still we know what he can do, we just need to use him right.

[/quote]

Exactly!

Yes, Bell is very slow but for the first time in many years we look a threat at set pieces despite only having one player who in the team who is 6ft plus (Doc). Tht is all due to the quality of Bell. OK he won''t skin players like Hucks used to but his final ball is generally more consistent and dangerous than Hucks was.

Despite some of his crosses not being to the usual standard he still produced one of the crosses of the season so far (from open play) in the 1st half which Lita put wide (although offisde). If he cn maintain the overall quality of his delivery then Cort should have a few goals to his name soon!!

Hasn''t really done as well as I hoped he would. Some of his deliveries are superb and some are pretty rubbish. Other than that he doesn''t do a lot.

Has moments of class but then there are other times when he wastes the ball or is too lazy.

Seems very lazy to me - good delivery but too slow and offers nothing much else. Would be ideal if we played American Football and could wheel a kicker out just for free kicks, but guess what, we don''t!

Must be the easiest winger to defend to in the league - would be confident of doing the job myself! Has to cut inside onto his right 90% of the time, and not got the pace to take any defender on really.

Agree, always liked Lappin myself, and not sure what Bell offers that he doesn''t. Good delivery, and have to say I''m a fan of a left footed player on the left etc.

i cant believe some of the comments on this bell thread! bell is a great player who when plays average gets nonsence from supporters saying he is poor, this is no doubt because of the high standards he sets when he plays well. bell is far better then lappin ffs, and people must remeber the reason he struggles to beat a defender and cut inside is becuase he is played on the wrong wing. bell is class and is one of the players this squad should be built around, end of story

[quote user="lincoln canary"]i cant believe some of the comments on this bell thread! bell is a great player who when plays average gets nonsence from supporters saying he is poor, this is no doubt because of the high standards he sets when he plays well. bell is far better then lappin ffs, and people must remeber the reason he struggles to beat a defender and cut inside is becuase he is played on the wrong wing. bell is class and is one of the players this squad should be built around, end of story[/quote]And to be fair, his natural position is on the right wing - where he would be able to deliver on his right foot without having to cut in. I think he''s doing okay on the left though - the real problem for me is how static we seem to be off the ball. There seems to be very little movement when Bell receives the ball, which cuts down his options quite considerably.Would be interesting to see how many of our recent goals have come from Bell assists. I would hazard a guess at about half, which is a decent return on a player who hasn''t had a huge amount of football this season. He will get better if he''s given time, I''m sure.

[quote user="lincoln canary"] and people must remeber the reason he struggles to beat a defender and cut inside is becuase he is played on the wrong wing. [/quote]

Why must we remember that as the reason why he struggles to beat a defender?

The reason he struggles to beat a defender is because he hasn''t got any pace. That won''t change if we was playing on the other wing, he''d still be slow.

Bell is played on the left because we have a better player on the right.

Croft is a much better player all round than Bell, and is one the team should be built around ahead of Bell.

Personally I think Bell would be better in the middle, playing with Clingan. Sammy to sit, and Bell to try and unlock the door. Problem being though, that he is a very lazy footballer.

Good delivery, and have to say I''m a fan of a left footed player on the left etc.

I know what you mean - after all the right footed Huckerby was always rubbish on the left, so was the right footed McVeigh!!

This has nothing to do with Huckerby ginge!!

Let''s be honest we could also think of countless examples of left footed players being better on the left, so that argument is never gonna win anything!

I aint trying to make this anything to do with Huckerby so calm down.

Just pointing out that in recent years the best players we have featured on the left have been Hucerby and before him McVeigh.

Both Right footed. Fact

Personally, I like his touch and crosses, with a good aerial striker and another solid aerial defender his set pieces could become a real threat for us too.  And I dont mean it in the Bolton / Stoke way but the Aston Villa way, they score loads by it but play well too.  I agree he is out of position, but he is settling after an injury, I agree with GR he will come good.

Give him time.

Whilst I have a lot of time for Crofty, Bell is far the better footballer.

I accept he hasn''t the pace of a typical winger, but he has a great touch, good vision and you can see he is an intelligent footballer.

For our live games i have been at the games but i understand each time the commentators have expressed their opinions that this man should be playing on the right.

I can understand that with Crofty in his current form, Bell has to play on the left but why do they not swop wings during a game?

If we have to sell one of them in January then i would prefer Croft to go. In the longer term Bell offers more options and is the better footballer.

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]Whilst I have a lot of time for Crofty, Bell is far the better footballer. I accept he hasn''t the pace of a typical winger, but he has a great touch, good vision and you can see he is an intelligent footballer. For our live games i have been at the games but i understand each time the commentators have expressed their opinions that this man should be playing on the right. I can understand that with Crofty in his current form, Bell has to play on the left but why do they not swop wings during a game? If we have to sell one of them in January then i would prefer Croft to go. In the longer term Bell offers more options and is the better footballer.[/quote]

Interesting assessment.

To me David Bell looks a bit of a one trick pony. He''ll whip crosses in with a lot of shape on them and that''s about it. Looks a lot more limited than Lee Croft.

"To me David Bell looks a bit of a one trick pony. He''ll whip crosses in with a lot of shape on them and that''s about it."

To be fair you could say that about David Beckham.

I like the idea of Bell on the right and Croft on the left. Get Croft to do Huckerby''s job.

Croft cannot cross anyway and if he plays on the left he''ll be forced to cut inside and shoot or play the short pass.

Although the important thing about Croft is that he retains the mad, panic look in his eyes while running.

[quote user="Fuglestad"]"To me David Bell looks a bit of a one trick pony. He''ll whip crosses in with a lot of shape on them and that''s about it." To be fair you could say that about David Beckham. [/quote]

Not really.

That''s exactly what I was thinking Saturday.

Defenders are already figuring him out early on. True, he has a good delivery but we need more than that.

Shame.

Defenders/coaches are figuring him out I agree, but that''s because he''s playing on the left. They know he only has one option with his limited pace. A Hucks he aint but I do feel he is a fine footballer with intelligence.

I hope we can hang on to him, but if he is not happy by the way he is being treated etc then our manager will do the usual and force him out.

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]Defenders/coaches are figuring him out I agree, but that''s because he''s playing on the left. They know he only has one option with his limited pace. A Hucks he aint but I do feel he is a fine footballer with intelligence. I hope we can hang on to him, but if he is not happy by the way he is being treated etc then our manager will do the usual and force him out.[/quote]

He reminds me a bit of John Robertson. Not a lot of pace, an apparently limited number of tricks, but a great delivery. Nobody would have Robertson down as a worldbeater when Cloughie and Taylor took over at Forest, but he became a key player in their success.

Do you think that there could be something in all the speculation last week over that swap deal. Bell''s first couple of games he played well but since his performances have been dipping. Saturday he looked lazy and laboured and like his mind was possibly else-where. Could it be the speculation has unsettled him or is playing on his mind or he know the he will be soon off to pastures new. Or was it just a bad day.   

Too slow.................Too lightweight.................infact exactly the same as that waste of space Hoolahan Don''t panic, Do you go to games? If you did you would know that Hoolahan isn''t a

waste of space. Works hard, keeps the ball moving. Too slow and too

lightweight sounds more like Lupoli. Brushed off the ball by a gust of

wind and naturally slow due to being an Italian.

The was a post of ''Croft or Bell'' not too long ago and at the time i said it was way to early to tell how good Bell is when alot of people we''re going overboard and saying what a truelly great player he was. At the time i had reservations about where he would level off performance wise but said it was too early to tell and for me that is still the case. Lets not all now rubbish him let''s get behind him and see how good he is at the end of the season, he''s looked promising in patches and really poor in others much like the team.

"Don,tPanic" wrote: Too slow.................Too lightweight.................infact exactly the same as that waste of space Hoolahan

Ever thought about becoming a scout for Ipswich? (OT: maybe when Croft departs Bell will be allowed to play on the right? And then maybe he''ll be prepared to take on and beat his man). Bell is quality IMO - but thought he was our weakest player v. Town).

Can I just say I used to go down to Ritzy''s regularly with the pope and he was always making shapes on the dancefloor. He would have loved to have tried body popping but couldn''t spin on his head due to his mitre getting in the way. I am an intermediary in a possible arrival of Lita, on the basis that his holiness is part of the deal, with NCFC flying him over from the vatican every other weekend to go out on the lash with Leroy ( and Matty Patty , obviously )

bell is gradually losing confidence through playing on the left wing imo...its not his best posi,,,and playing him in centre mid is not the place for him either - he''s way to weak and slow to run the show there - be like simon charlton all over again - ouch!!!it seems to me playing outa posi is beginning to affect other areas of beller''s game now - his corners and free kicks didn''t look so convincing on saturday...sure - the boy is slow,,,but he''s capable of putting over a batter cross than anyone else at the club - but right footed players are best suited on the right wing, and vice versa...i agree that crofty has improved under roedy - but thats only cos he was dropped back-end last season, and now cos he''s spending more time in the gym than at burger king, we''re finally beginning see something of a return from him...for me - the more croft runs at players the better he looks, but sad to say - he''ll never have a footy brain,,,while clearly bell has...if crofty goes, we''ll do no worse than have bell playing on his favoured side imo - simple as...

[quote user="We Want Worthy Back"]Seems very lazy to me - good delivery but too slow and offers nothing much else. Would be ideal if we played American Football and could wheel a kicker out just for free kicks, but guess what, we don''t!

Must be the easiest winger to defend to in the league - would be confident of doing the job myself! Has to cut inside onto his right 90% of the time, and not got the pace to take any defender on really.

Agree, always liked Lappin myself, and not sure what Bell offers that he doesn''t. Good delivery, and have to say I''m a fan of a left footed player on the left etc.[/quote]Hahahahaha, Whatever Mate....  How can people critise a player that has only played 13 or so games for us and still settling in at our club? He has something about him that indicates hes a class player and just needs to be more consistent but has the potential to get better, people just need to realise they he''s a completely different player to Huckerby as is Wesley.    To say he is the easiest winger to defend against in this league is ridiculous! David Bell is a right winger playing on the left because of the Lee Croft''s form at the moment and the fact that hes playing on the left ahead of Lappin is an indication of how poor Lappin is in my eyes.