Sign in to follow this  
nolegs

dean ashton ?

Rumours of Crewes Dean Ashton on his way here - anyone know much about him? Anyone else heard this one or is it the usual cobblers?

Haven''t heard this rumour but would be delighted if we got him, very young and scored lots of goals in an uninspiring team last year.

Would be a superb buy for the future - a big target man and England u21 star, always causes us problems. He will be a premier player within a couple of years if not with us. I am sure he will costs us a penny or two tho.

My only concern is that we have an inexperienced enough front line without buying more untried/tested players at this level - Harry redknapps recipe for success was to have a great deal of prem experience as well as great fans - I dont see that Prem experience in our side... however if we can get it in our central defender then I will keep quiet!

OTBC

The problem with buying a experianced striker who has a proven goal scoring record in the Premiership is that they would be very costly. I think our best tactic would be to go for an up and coming, motivated youngster who has proved himself at a lower level, like Ashton.

There has been no talk of this around Crewe - in fact, just the opposite really, Deano has said he wants to stay at Crewe as he feels this will benefit him more than moving on at this stage of his career. This attitude has been reinforced by talking closely to his strike partner (a certain Mr Rivers), who has told Deano that the move might not be right for him. I will keep my ear to the ground, however, and let you know if I hear anything!

Yes, proven usually means costly. I''d rather go for players with the skill and motivation to step up - like Drury, who was unproven at 1st div level until we bought him. Who''s the next Jonathan Stead...?

Ama

I think we may already have the next Jon Stead in the shape of Leon or even Ryan Jarvis. I agree a proven striker will be costly but as much as anything a link player would give us as much benefit as goals - Sven hardly knocked them in every game at the end of last season but his link up play was an essential part of our success. As I said Ashton would be a superb signing as he has oodles of potential. However at some stage we need ability this season if we are to survive.

We have a team bursting at the seems with potential - from Greeno, through Drury, Brennan, Mcveigh, Hendo, Holt, Safri, Francis, Jarvis, Bentley to Leon all have yet to prove they can cut it at this level on a regular basis. I am confident that they can ALL do it occassionally, some will do so regularly but just how many can deliver 3 games out of 4 will be the key to our success.

I just feel that someone to bring the midfield into the game, who can hold the ball up, encourage more inexperienced players positionally/tactically and knows how to cause prem defenders problems would be a useful addition to the squad - I dont know who that would be, I know its not Scowcroft though. Also the general worldliwiseness of a modern day peters or channon would be a good support to the likes of mcveigh Leon Drury etc.

Of our squad only Hux has and now Charlton has any real premier experience to call upon - I just feel that is a little lightweight in an ''ideal'' squad, tlhough it has improved with the signings of Helveg, Charlton and Johnsson.

Cant wait for Sat though!

OTBC

I think Hux, Charlton, Svensson all have Prem experience. Helveg and Jonson are surely ''as good as'', having played in Serie A and SuperLigaen respectively. That''s 5.

Technically I think Fleming, MacKenzie, Bentley and Francis have also all played in the Prem, but it may only have been a handful of games (one?!!) when they were younger.

We''re always going to be a lightweight Prem team, I agree. Mind you, players like Fowler etc would be considered heavyweight Prem players for Man City, and there are others at Everton, but neither team looked very accomplished at that level last year. The exciting thing in a way is not knowing... who will step up? We assume Green, Drury, maybe Francis, because they are our better players, but maybe one or two of the others will have storming seasons and for some reason look the part when we least expected it.

We have traditionally played better against the better teams in div 1. Well next season they''re all ''better'' teams. The presence of players like Helveg could also motivate some others onto a better level... or with better quality service they could look better....

Can''t wait, roll on Saturday!!

Ama

I was working in Crewe when we signed Rivers and mentioned the fact in the pub that night to some of the locals. Oh, how they laughed and said that they''d happily have sold him to us for 50p... They said then that the player they''d hate to see leave was young Ashton though, he was quite the fans favourite.

I''d like to think this is a true rumour (eh???) but if I remember right Ashton''s been lined up for a move each season since then so I won''t be holding my breath.

Ama, as I''ve said on this Board before, I think that Patrick Agyemang at Gillingham is the next Stead. He was awesome against us at FCR last season, and on the Binners'' message boards they say that he scared the Ipswich defence witless on Saturday - not difficult, I know, but typical of all the reports about him. He''s young, strong, fast and would be cheap to buy.