Sign in to follow this  
peartreeproductions

Get a grip of your emotions, expectations

I am not so sure that anyone on here is representative of the average city fan.  Innevitably anyone who takes the trouble to post on a forum, as i am guilty of, is an extreme in some way.  However I believe that some of the posts recently are ridiculous, especially the get Roeder/board out blah blah blah, I have been supporting City for 40/65 years and I will never go to the game/post on the forum again etc, for the following reasons:

Expectations - I have heard it at the ground too....Why on earth does anyone think that because we can fill a ground every week we have some sort of divine right to be fighting for promotion.  In the same way that if we had spend £5m in the close season would we be right to ''expect'' us to be fighting for promotion? No.  There are a million things that determine each and every games.  Some teams that spend a fortune underpeform, others do well on a shoestring.  I wouldnt describe the gate receipts as chickenfeed but Sky money makes them pale into insignificance. 

Get Roeder/the Board out - Since the board have publicly announced their intention to try and find a buyer attention has turned to Roeder who is now a scapegoat for everyones disappointment and frustration.  Personally I think he has done well with extremely limited resources.  I think though that he cannot be fairly judged as he has not been given the funds.  He has been scrabbling around here and there and innevitably has made a few mistakes as well as finding some bargain gems.  If your boss told you that you cannot have the number and quality of staff that you believe you need to fulfill your job would you be happy?

As for getting the board out?  Well I dont think Delia et al helped themselves by helping to play out a valuation by media with Cullum.  Their retort to Cullums bid was ridiculous.  However standing back from this Delias reported wealth is unfortunately not enough to support a club that wants to do well in the top leagues these days.  Football has moved on in terms of finances a lot in the past few years and the board have found themselves with shallow pockets.  Sad, yes, but hardly worthy of the vitriol that she has been handed out.

Emotions - If we let these get the better of us we will lose out.  Patience is the key here.  Forcing Roeder or the board will only alienate other investors or managers from coming here.  We will also have a compo package to sort if we sack Roeder.  Booing at the players will make them nervous on the ball, afraid to push forward for fear of losing the ball etc.  There have been many posts alledgedly speaking to players that have confirmed this.

I dont have the answers but I can see that it will be a bumpy road.  Expect some ups and downs.  Be patient and be loyal, we are in this for the long term as I fear that short term decisions will be made at our peril.

You''re correct on all three points, in particular the new-found determination over the last few months to slag Roeder off at every opportunity. However, I doubt many will agree so get ready for the flak.

Expectations - Why?  Because teams with 1/2 or 1/4 the turnout at games are well ahead of us in the standings regularly.  Yes, there are other factors involved, but local support counts for a lot, or it sure as heck should.  If we DID spend a lot and underperformed, I doubt people would be calling for the board to leave. However, we have not spent much despite promises to do so over the last 5 or 6 trading periods.

Roeder - Why?  Though stuck with limited resources, he does not seem to use what he DOES have very sensibly.  His line up selections are puzzling on a regular basis, as often as they are unsuccessful.

Emotions - Why? Not showing upset has gotten us where we are today.  The ones running things think they can do whatever because there never is any upset.  The players who suck don''t have any incentive to get better because the fans are obviously satisfied because they don''t voice their displeasure.

If you''re satisfied with things, bully for you.  Many of us are not, and we''re also tired of waiting.  Have you noticed we are precariously close to relegation to a division we haven''t been in for 50 years? Ahh, that''s okay.  Let''s be more patient!  Are you kidding me!?!?!?!?

[quote user="Houston Canary"]

Expectations - Why?  Because teams with 1/2 or 1/4 the turnout at games are well ahead of us in the standings regularly.  Yes, there are other factors involved, but local support counts for a lot, or it sure as heck should.  If we DID spend a lot and underperformed, I doubt people would be calling for the board to leave. However, we have not spent much despite promises to do so over the last 5 or 6 trading periods.

Roeder - Why?  Though stuck with limited resources, he does not seem to use what he DOES have very sensibly.  His line up selections are puzzling on a regular basis, as often as they are unsuccessful.

Emotions - Why? Not showing upset has gotten us where we are today.  The ones running things think they can do whatever because there never is any upset.  The players who suck don''t have any incentive to get better because the fans are obviously satisfied because they don''t voice their displeasure.

If you''re satisfied with things, bully for you.  Many of us are not, and we''re also tired of waiting.  Have you noticed we are precariously close to relegation to a division we haven''t been in for 50 years? Ahh, that''s okay.  Let''s be more patient!  Are you kidding me!?!?!?!?

[/quote]

Dont see anywhere in my post where I said I was satisfied with the performance, so bully for you.  50 years of history has nothing at all to do with what will happen to the club now im afraid.

You keep booing then i am sure it is very productive (oops my assumption!)

[quote user="peartreeproductions"][quote user="Houston Canary"]

[/quote]

Dont see anywhere in my post where I said I was satisfied with the performance, so bully for you.  50 years of history has nothing at all to do with what will happen to the club now im afraid.

You keep booing then i am sure it is very productive (oops my assumption!)

[/quote]Booing at his computer screen many thousands of miles away in America [;)]

Patience for what??

We have nothing to look forward too! No star player to come back from injury, no kids coming through that could be really top class, no assets that we can sell and buy 3-4 quality with the returns, a manger that plays midfielders up front, a manager that releases Huckerby for ''football reasons'', a squad that will contain of 8 players come may, a board that hides behind getting us happy with 1 month loan signings, a team of loan players that couldnt give a toss and that will never play for their premier league parent club, Antoine Siberski, Wes Hoolahan.

We have 3-4 genuine players that play like they love Norwich City. We are in deep trouble.

In May we will have no money, no leroy lita, no kennedy, maybe not even Bell, Marshall and Croft. What do we do then? Stay Patient?

The Board as to be blamed for for some massive wrong decisions! But Roeder really needs to take most of the blame, shocking tactical decisions, bringing players in on loan that he has not played (Troy, Lups,Sibs) and the release of Hucks.

Not a good time for us im afraid, And another season where staying in this division will be a major achievement.

Our expectations should be what exactly then? Content to be fighting relegation?

I hear or read little to suggest that supporters think we have a ''divine right'' to be fighting for promotion. Can you point me to the posts that suggest this? I do however think people expect progress. Progress means improvement, however gradual. I do not believe we are seeing progress at this club - do you? I don;t expect promotion. Mid-table obscurity would be lovely though - is that too ambitious of me?

You state some clubs do well on a shoestring and some spend fortunes and underperform. Then you state Roeder can not be fairly judged as he has not been given funds. So are funds important or not?

''Patience is the key''. If you can find a more patient group of supporters I''ll be amazed.

[quote user="peartreeproductions"]

I am not so sure that anyone on here is representative of the average city fan.  Innevitably anyone who takes the trouble to post on a forum, as i am guilty of, is an extreme in some way.  However I believe that some of the posts recently are ridiculous, especially the get Roeder/board out blah blah blah, I have been supporting City for 40/65 years and I will never go to the game/post on the forum again etc, for the following reasons:

Expectations - I have heard it at the ground too....Why on earth does anyone think that because we can fill a ground every week we have some sort of divine right to be fighting for promotion.  In the same way that if we had spend £5m in the close season would we be right to ''expect'' us to be fighting for promotion? No.  There are a million things that determine each and every games.  Some teams that spend a fortune underpeform, others do well on a shoestring.  I wouldnt describe the gate receipts as chickenfeed but Sky money makes them pale into insignificance. 

Get Roeder/the Board out - Since the board have publicly announced their intention to try and find a buyer attention has turned to Roeder who is now a scapegoat for everyones disappointment and frustration.  Personally I think he has done well with extremely limited resources.  I think though that he cannot be fairly judged as he has not been given the funds.  He has been scrabbling around here and there and innevitably has made a few mistakes as well as finding some bargain gems.  If your boss told you that you cannot have the number and quality of staff that you believe you need to fulfill your job would you be happy?

As for getting the board out?  Well I dont think Delia et al helped themselves by helping to play out a valuation by media with Cullum.  Their retort to Cullums bid was ridiculous.  However standing back from this Delias reported wealth is unfortunately not enough to support a club that wants to do well in the top leagues these days.  Football has moved on in terms of finances a lot in the past few years and the board have found themselves with shallow pockets.  Sad, yes, but hardly worthy of the vitriol that she has been handed out.

Emotions - If we let these get the better of us we will lose out.  Patience is the key here.  Forcing Roeder or the board will only alienate other investors or managers from coming here.  We will also have a compo package to sort if we sack Roeder.  Booing at the players will make them nervous on the ball, afraid to push forward for fear of losing the ball etc.  There have been many posts alledgedly speaking to players that have confirmed this.

I dont have the answers but I can see that it will be a bumpy road.  Expect some ups and downs.  Be patient and be loyal, we are in this for the long term as I fear that short term decisions will be made at our peril.

[/quote]

winner of "Pathetic Post of the Month" Your prize will be the DVD "Highlights of NCFC 2008 - 2009". Not a particularly long DVD..

Dont see anywhere in my post where I said I was satisfied  - peartreeproductions

No, but you do say we should all remain silent at worst or supportive at best while things fall apart. I fail to see how this will make things better.  Should we be silent while Darfur goes to hell, or maybe cheer the Sudanese government into doing a better job?

And YES, 50 consecutive years of being in the top 2 divisions of football absolutely does have something to do with it all.  I''ve been a supporter since 1972.  Many posters here were not even born then.  We are on the brink of going to a place I and people younger than me have never experienced, and never want to, and it''s for no good reason.

[quote user="peartreeproductions"]

[/quote]Sorry this is a little too sickly sweet for my money. Whilst I am an

advocate for keeping it real and for not getting your knickers in a

twist your title say get a grip of your emotions and expectations.

Supporting a football team is all about expectation and emotions,

that’s what make it exciting. To many fans are just as happy to accept

everything as they are to criticize everything. We have heaps of

extreme fans post on here from both sides but a good few who keep it

real.

Booing and ranting isn''t my scene but I don''t really think it can ever

be held responsible for our awful performances. If nothing else because

if you attend the game you will know that despite some bloody awful

football we are supportive throughout the game. A few boo''s after the

game if we are beaten is in the current climate to be expected and

hardly surprising.

Your seem to give no credence either to our history or following, again

I think your just not taking in to consideration the whole picture. We

are well supported and we are a club with a more illustrious history

than  many a club above us or within the Premiership. And whilst thing

will not always run smooth despite one season of promotion and one

season of being battered in the premiership we have been in the

wilderness playing very average football for well over a decade.

Your post is I''m sure heart felt and I don''t disagree with all you say

but you have to allow people to have emotions and more importantly

expectations. I said in a post earlier this week that we have no money

to replace Roeder and until a buyer comes up we need Delia to stay

afloat. I can however see why people are unhappy, we have some poor

footballers and play bad football a lot of the time and as for patience

well that something I think we City fans have in spades.

[quote user="Road to Nowhere"]

''Be patient and loyal, we are in this for the long term''

Bit of a contradiction bearing in mind you are not going to games any more?

[/quote]

My apologies, mis-read.

[quote user="Houston Canary"]

Dont see anywhere in my post where I said I was satisfied  - peartreeproductions

No, but you do say we should all remain silent at worst or supportive at best while things fall apart. I fail to see how this will make things better.  Should we be silent while Darfur goes to hell, or maybe cheer the Sudanese government into doing a better job?

And YES, 50 consecutive years of being in the top 2 divisions of football absolutely does have something to do with it all.  I''ve been a supporter since 1972.  Many posters here were not even born then.  We are on the brink of going to a place I and people younger than me have never experienced, and never want to, and it''s for no good reason.

[/quote]

I think this is one of the points I was trying to make quite well demonstrated above.  You may be older than most posters but it doesnt make your opinion more or less valid than anyone else.

Comparing the fall of Norwich city to the atrocities in Darfur is distasteful in the extreme.  You need to get a grip...

[quote user="Hardhouse44"][quote user="peartreeproductions"]

[/quote]Sorry this is a little too sickly sweet for my money. Whilst I am an advocate for keeping it real and for not getting your knickers in a twist your title say get a grip of your emotions and expectations.

Supporting a football team is all about expectation and emotions, that’s what make it exciting. To many fans are just as happy to accept everything as they are to criticize everything. We have heaps of extreme fans post on here from both sides but a good few who keep it real.

Booing and ranting isn''t my scene but I don''t really think it can ever be held responsible for our awful performances. If nothing else because if you attend the game you will know that despite some bloody awful football we are supportive throughout the game. A few boo''s after the game if we are beaten is in the current climate to be expected and hardly surprising.

Your seem to give no credence either to our history or following, again I think your just not taking in to consideration the whole picture. We are well supported and we are a club with a more illustrious history than  many a club above us or within the Premiership. And whilst thing will not always run smooth despite one season of promotion and one season of being battered in the premiership we have been in the wilderness playing very average football for well over a decade.

Your post is I''m sure heart felt and I don''t disagree with all you say but you have to allow people to have emotions and more importantly expectations. I said in a post earlier this week that we have no money to replace Roeder and until a buyer comes up we need Delia to stay afloat. I can however see why people are unhappy, we have some poor footballers and play bad football a lot of the time and as for patience well that something I think we City fans have in spades.

[/quote]

A considered reply Hardhouse.  Its not that i dont understand or feel the hairs stand up on my neck when I think about our great achievements over the year its just that I really think this counts for very little at the moment. 

Money is the only thing that will save us for sure and we have precious little of it.

[quote user="Houston Canary"] despite promises to do so over the last 5 or 6 trading periods. >[/quote]

Eh?

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

peartreeproductions wrote:

''............I have been supporting City for 40/65 years...................''.

Just about says it all.

OTBC

[/quote]

Not really, you have mis-read the post. He was using that as an example of what some say on here.

Comparing the fall of Norwich city to the atrocities in Darfur is distasteful in the extreme.  You need to get a grip... - peartreeptoductions

Way to miss my points completely, peartree.  I was not comparing Norwich to Darfur.  I was comparing your idea of responding with silence to another ongoing one which went ignored for far too long.  The point is that not saying anything only tells the perpetrator that they can keep getting away with it.

As for my age, once again, you missed the point.  THAT point is that many fans of the team have only ever experienced Norwich in the top 2 divisions, so City dropping to the 3rd tier would be more crushing to them, and I assume they make up the majority of the fans.  Even if they don''t. they are a considerable chunk of the market the team dpeends on for tickets and paraphenalia. Many of them would wander off to other teams if we are playing the likes of Scunthorpe and Wallsall week in and week out.

[quote user="lucky green trainers"]i expect the NCFC board to provide a credible playing side budget that allows the manager to assemble a side capable of challenging for the top 6...

[/quote]

''Which Division'' - would that be then?[;)]

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

[quote user="lucky green trainers"]i expect the NCFC board to provide a credible playing side budget that allows the manager to assemble a side capable of challenging for the top 6... [/quote]

[/quote]lol - guess we''ll have a clearer idea by jan end!!!

[quote user="lucky green trainers"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

[quote user="lucky green trainers"]i expect the NCFC board to provide a credible playing side budget that allows the manager to assemble a side capable of challenging for the top 6...

[/quote]

[/quote]

lol - guess we''ll have a clearer idea by jan end!!!
[/quote]

We all hope that the worst doesn''t happen in 2009, however, I reckon even the most optomistic amongst us must realise that unless results come in, there is a chance we may drop, if the teams below us have a good run and we have a poor run.

Let''s hope father Christmas is kind and brings us some new investment in the new year.

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="lucky green trainers"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

[quote user="lucky green trainers"]i expect the NCFC board to provide a credible playing side budget that allows the manager to assemble a side capable of challenging for the top 6... [/quote]

[/quote]lol - guess we''ll have a clearer idea by jan end!!![/quote]

We all hope that the worst doesn''t happen in 2009, however, I reckon even the most optomistic amongst us must realise that unless results come in, there is a chance we may drop, if the teams below us have a good run and we have a poor run.

Let''s hope father Christmas is kind and brings us some new investment in the new year.

[/quote]sure way - maybe its a case of expect the unexpected where NCFC is concerned!!!but a sure as eggs are eggs - a run of good consistent results is needed now to allow jittery nerves to settle and confidence to grow...but it seems uncertainty abounds our world at the mo...happy xmas to you and your fam...

[quote user="lucky green trainers"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="lucky green trainers"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

lol - guess we''ll have a clearer idea by jan end!!!
[/quote]

[/quote]

sure way - maybe its a case of expect the unexpected where NCFC is concerned!!!

but a sure as eggs are eggs - a run of good consistent results is needed now to allow jittery nerves to settle and confidence to grow...

but it seems uncertainty abounds our world at the mo...

happy xmas to you and your fam...

[/quote]

You are quite right, consistency is what we need and some decent results to go with it.

Guess 2009 could be a damp squib or fresh hope......we shall see.

Happy Xmas to you and yours too.  [:D]