Obviously Worthy has done a great job, and the team have played very effective football under him in the past few years. The consistency of style suggests the team know what they''re supposed to be doing and they tend to do it. Which is great.

Now I''m no football manager but there is one thing that puzzles me, and one thing that I''d like to change. Maybe its not that simple, I dunno.

We defend pretty deep - which is good because we don''t concede too many, and rarely get caught out by a player picking the ball up on the half way line and running to goal. But it does mean we have our midfielders quite close to the defence, in order to collect the ball, and consequently a long way from the front two. Or so it seems to me.

So I wish the midfield would play further up the field, and they''d then be able to get the ball to the front two more easily and we''d keep posession a bit better.

There you go, move over Worthy. Or don''t.

Ama

I have had a theory about this for a while, along with my dad who thinks the same thing. I think that this is deliberate and has been one of the reasons that Gary Holt has been so vital.

The key issue is that our centre half pairing of choice for the past three years - Malky & Flem - are slow. Ok, so Kents played there sometimes, but more often than not he was to be found at right back. This meant that Holt was a very defensive midfielder, lacking creativity but great at breaking up play. Thus we played very deep to counter the lack of pace.

This theory leads me to belive that Safri will be ahead of Holt in the pecking order should be sign this pacey centre half we keep hearing about. Safri is also a tough midfielder but with a more creative, passing side to his game. I think that we will need this and more pace in defence, to cope week in week out in the top flight. I do think we might see Holt as a destroyer in a 3 man midfield in some games, with one up front, Hucks to the left and Jonson to the right.

Whaddaya think? Good theory or total rubbish?

The theory''s good, although I dunno whether Worthy will ever drop a fit Holt, he seems to personify what Worthy is after, and perhaps the way we have built our success. To change him would be to shift the way we play. So maybe... it''ll be interesting to see whether, if we have the players for it as we increasingly do, Worthy evolves the style.

The weird thing is watching us at home and we look like the away team. Less posession, counter-attacking, stout defending. Other managers consistently said last season (quite rightly at times: Cov, Forest, Sund etc.) that they didn''t deserve to lose the game... but invariably left with no points and scratching their heads.

But I think you may be right about a 5 man midfield, at least away from home. Its kind of 4-5-1 when we are defending, 4-3-3 when we have the ball. But maybe the plain old reliable 4-4-2 when we''re at home.

"To change him would be to shift the way we play".

I think that is precisely what may have to happen this year. I think that if we are going to create chances in the top flight we are going to need a greater degree of creativity from central midfield. It''s not say that Gary is a bad player, just perhaps a little one dimensional. Though this could be a key factor in certain games where we need extra defensive protection.