Sign in to follow this  
Raymond De Waard

Petition - Get Worthy back

As somebody has stated in a previous post, i think Worthington has unfinished business with Norwich.  He is the most succesful and shrewd manager we have had in years and quite frankly, he is a cut above Grant and Roeder.  I''m fed-up with losing all the time, i think it''s time for Worthington''s Green Army to come back!  Please take this post seriously, i really do think it would be a good move to get Worthy back here!  Just cast your minds back to the sublime football we played under Worthington''s regime, the amazing achievements of the play-off final and getting promoted.  Who remembers when we finished one season 8th or 9th and we were dissapointed!  I would snatch somebody''s hand off if they said we were to finish that high now! 

I''ll start the petition here.......I want Worthy back, with Malky as assisstant!

[quote user="lappinitup"]I know, let''s start a "WORTHY IN" protest! [:S][/quote]How about we just hold a protest against having a protest to allow everyone the opportunity to get it out the system.

[quote user="crabman84"]

As somebody has stated in a previous post, i think Worthington has unfinished business with Norwich.  He is the most succesful and shrewd manager we have had in years and quite frankly, he is a cut above Grant and Roeder.  I''m fed-up with losing all the time, i think it''s time for Worthington''s Green Army to come back!  Please take this post seriously, i really do think it would be a good move to get Worthy back here!  Just cast your minds back to the sublime football we played under Worthington''s regime, the amazing achievements of the play-off final and getting promoted.  Who remembers when we finished one season 8th or 9th and we were dissapointed!  I would snatch somebody''s hand off if they said we were to finish that high now! 

I''ll start the petition here.......I want Worthy back, with Malky as assisstant!

[/quote]

I don''t think this post deserves to be taken seriously in all honestly. Pathetic.

[quote user="TheFineCity"]

And which came last? [/quote]

Dion Dublin - just before he was sacked, and he got loads of abuse for that one too.

I’m sorry but I can’t take this post seriously! You genuinely believe that reappointing the man who (I feel) is to blame for the current predicament we’re in, is the way forward? Get real!

Granted Mr Worthington got us to the play off finals, and got us promoted, but you all seem to forget about what he did afterwards!! I believe that had he not dismantled a winning team at the start of the premiership season, we would be in a better position than the one we find ourselves in now!

Also it was idiotic allowing Malky and Iwan to leave the club. They would have contributed that season, not necessarily every week on the pitch, but they were big influences in the dressing room. A couple of goals from Iwan off the bench, or Malky from corners could have been enough to keep us up!

Then when we got relegated look at the dross he brought in! I’m sorry I won’t be joining your petition. Thanks for the memories Mr Worthington, but it’s a pity you didn’t do the honourable thing and leave three seasons sooner!

[quote user="crabman84"]

[/quote]Malky was screwed over by Worthy, I suspect that there is a degree of trust lost there..... and that it would be an incompatible combination.

Oh yes he was was so very shrewd.Demolished the promotion winning squad and with it the team spirit that helped take us to promotion in the first place!Played most of the season with probably the two shortest centre halfs in the prem.Bought Denmark''s captain and played him out of posistion most of the time.Persisted with Gary Holt nearly all season when it was plain to see he was way out of his depth.Who can forget his attempt at mind games before Blackburn away? (0-3)How about replacing Matt Svensson with Peter Thorne after we went down, let alone several other duff signings!I won''t bother listing all the dire performances in games that he was in charge of after relegation because it would take too long but I''m pretty sure we would already be playing third tier football  had he stayed any longer.But then what do I know, I''m not a "real fan" as I did''nt stay behind for the ''lap of honour'' at the end of 2005/2006.Worthington back? I''d sooner have Grant back than him.

[quote user="A change gonna come..."]

Worthington back? I''d sooner have Grant back than him. [/quote]Now that I really do find difficult to take seriously!

Worthy was past his sell-by date, after doing a great job here for many years. Unfortunatly, we appointed a very poor successor to him.

Also, do people think that NW would want to join the club again, after the protests, and atmosphere at the Burnley game- booing, applauding their goals?

well at least worthy gave me a couple of great days out, millenium stadium and barnsley, more than can be said of our last two maestros , and as for those of you who think we should be top flight get real we''ve been average for the last ten year got lucky 03 /04 thank god

Worthington got lucky.....His luck then ran out.....and he overstayed his welcome, but received a substantial pay-off for his fortunate contribution to our flutter in the Prem.....and the following failure.

I think our board of Directionless should have followed him......but without a golden handshake....

[quote user="Yellow Submarine"]

I’m sorry but I can’t take this post seriously! You genuinely believe that reappointing the man who (I feel) is to blame for the current predicament we’re in, is the way forward? Get real!

Granted Mr Worthington got us to the play off finals, and got us promoted, but you all seem to forget about what he did afterwards!! I believe that had he not dismantled a winning team at the start of the premiership season, we would be in a better position than the one we find ourselves in now!

Also it was idiotic allowing Malky and Iwan to leave the club. They would have contributed that season, not necessarily every week on the pitch, but they were big influences in the dressing room. A couple of goals from Iwan off the bench, or Malky from corners could have been enough to keep us up!

Then when we got relegated look at the dross he brought in! I’m sorry I won’t be joining your petition. Thanks for the memories Mr Worthington, but it’s a pity you didn’t do the honourable thing and leave three seasons sooner!

[/quote]When you say winning team those that were left looked out of depth at times.We were promoted predominantly with this side:Green, Edworthy, Fleming, Malky, Drury, Rivers, Francis, Holt, Easton, Huckerby, Svensson/Iwan.Subs from: McVeigh, Mulryne, Svensson/Iwan, MacKenzieIn the Premiership we had:Green, Edworthy/Helveg, Fleming, Charlton/Doherty, Drury, Bently/Jonson, Holt, Francis, Huckerby, MacKenzie, Svensson / Ashton.Subs from: McVeigh, Mulryne, Safri, Shackell.To be honest the only big players to go from that promotion winning team were Iwan and Malky. The problem with both of those were their severe lack of pace. I think this would have been less of an issue with Iwan than it would have been with Malky but saying that Iwan would have been 36/37 that season and would not have played many games especially after Ashton came in. Malky is four years younger than Iwan but was not the most technicaly gifted player I have seen.At some point people just have to accept that neither were up to premiership football. Sure Malky got his chance with Watford they were limited also. He simply was not quick enough and although was a tremendous player to have in a team for his character - just like Iwan. At some point you have to draw a line and accept that it is not always enough to simply be able to lift the guys on that pitch.If anything the one thing people are right to suggest is not getting someone like Ashton in sooner. That and the fact that other players like Francis did not have their heads nor hearts in it for Norwich.However having said that if we were to loose or let loose Roeder then I would not be against the idea of bringing him back if he was interested. I would not go out of the way to get him back but at least he isn''t like some managers who have their head up their own back side and refuse to drop down a league and instead prefer to wait for another premiership team. Curbishly is the only name around at the moment that is overly tempting, maybe Boothroyd.

[quote user="chicken"][quote user="Yellow Submarine"]

[/quote]

When you say winning team those that were left looked out of depth at times.

We were promoted predominantly with this side:

Green, Edworthy, Fleming, Malky, Drury, Rivers, Francis, Holt, Easton, Huckerby, Svensson/Iwan.
Subs from: McVeigh, Mulryne, Svensson/Iwan, MacKenzie

In the Premiership we had:

Green, Edworthy/Helveg, Fleming, Charlton/Doherty, Drury, Bently/Jonson, Holt, Francis, Huckerby, MacKenzie, Svensson / Ashton.
Subs from: McVeigh, Mulryne, Safri, Shackell.

To be honest the only big players to go from that promotion winning team were Iwan and Malky. The problem with both of those were their severe lack of pace. I think this would have been less of an issue with Iwan than it would have been with Malky but saying that Iwan would have been 36/37 that season and would not have played many games especially after Ashton came in. Malky is four years younger than Iwan but was not the most technicaly gifted player I have seen.

At some point people just have to accept that neither were up to premiership football. Sure Malky got his chance with Watford they were limited also. He simply was not quick enough and although was a tremendous player to have in a team for his character - just like Iwan. At some point you have to draw a line and accept that it is not always enough to simply be able to lift the guys on that pitch.

If anything the one thing people are right to suggest is not getting someone like Ashton in sooner. That and the fact that other players like Francis did not have their heads nor hearts in it for Norwich.

However having said that if we were to loose or let loose Roeder then I would not be against the idea of bringing him back if he was interested. I would not go out of the way to get him back but at least he isn''t like some managers who have their head up their own back side and refuse to drop down a league and instead prefer to wait for another premiership team. Curbishly is the only name around at the moment that is overly tempting, maybe Boothroyd.
[/quote]

Good post, agree 100%. Definitely had some extra class in the prem, eg Saf, Bentley, Ashton. If we had started believing in ourselves earlier then we could have stayed up, but oddly enough I see parallels from that era with the current woes. If you cast your mind back to the infamous Man City game at carrow road, we were 2 - 0 up I think but still lost (correct me if I am wrong). Just the kind of result we are currently seeing. Why doesn''t this crap happen to anyone else - dominating the game but somehow snatching defeat from the jaws of victory? Or has our defence just not been good enough for 4 years? Or have we not spent enough on defenders? Or are our players p****d all the time (see separate post)!!!!

Bringing back Worthy would be an interesting move, although almost impossible, as at least he knows this league better than either Grant or Roeder. Glenn has brought in Prem quality players but not necessarily Champ players who can be bothered fighting out every second against some of the crap teams we have to play. We might be better off bringing through some talented League One players as they are more likely to treat this league with more respect.

The same Nigel worthington who the players gave up on and simply didn''t want to play for anymore? nice move....

its Worthingtons Naivety which saw us relegated from the premiership in the first place.. and as proof of his incompetence just look at Northern Ireland.... some bookies were tipping them to be the ONLY Uk side to reach the Euros before Sanchez quite.,. they went from top of the division with wins against england, Spain (who won the euros) and Sweden, along with a Draw against Germany to self combusting and failing to even finish 2nd under worthington.. he undid in 5 months what Sanchez had spent 3 years building....

Nigel Worthington is an idiot.

jas :)

Bring back the man who said Helveg wasn''t fit enough to play for Norwich yet played and captained his country, tthe same person who brought Henderson off the bench and left Bentley on the bench, the same person who dropped Bentley for aving a larf.  Can''t fault the committment or effort "even though the football was crap."  No thanks.

[quote user="chicken"][quote user="Yellow Submarine"]

[/quote]

When you say winning team those that were left looked out of depth at times.

We were promoted predominantly with this side:

Green, Edworthy, Fleming, Malky, Drury, Rivers, Francis, Holt, Easton, Huckerby, Svensson/Iwan.
Subs from: McVeigh, Mulryne, Svensson/Iwan, MacKenzie

In the Premiership we had:

Green, Edworthy/Helveg, Fleming, Charlton/Doherty, Drury, Bently/Jonson, Holt, Francis, Huckerby, MacKenzie, Svensson / Ashton.
Subs from: McVeigh, Mulryne, Safri, Shackell.

To be honest the only big players to go from that promotion winning team were Iwan and Malky. The problem with both of those were their severe lack of pace. I think this would have been less of an issue with Iwan than it would have been with Malky but saying that Iwan would have been 36/37 that season and would not have played many games especially after Ashton came in. Malky is four years younger than Iwan but was not the most technicaly gifted player I have seen. I think you miss the point I was trying to make! yes these players had lost there pace, especially Malkay, but they still had a job to do for the club. West ham didn''t get rid of Teddy Sheringham, he still played a part, Dean Windass is still at Hull and he came off the bench the other day and contributed, (allbeit an goal, but he forced it!) The day they left it tore the heart out of the team, and two strong characters were lost from the dressing room and not replaced- (much the same problem as today, we dont have a leader!)

At some point people just have to accept that neither were up to premiership football. Sure Malky got his chance with Watford they were limited also. He simply was not quick enough and although was a tremendous player to have in a team for his character - just like Iwan. At some point you have to draw a line and accept that it is not always enough to simply be able to lift the guys on that pitch. Do you not think iwan could of come off the bench and chipped in two or three vital goals?

If anything the one thing people are right to suggest is not getting someone like Ashton in sooner. I agree with this comment

That and the fact that other players like Francis did not have their heads nor hearts in it for Norwich.

However having said that if we were to loose or let loose Roeder then I would not be against the idea of bringing him back if he was interested. I would not go out of the way to get him back but at least he isn''t like some managers who have their head up their own back side and refuse to drop down a league and instead prefer to wait for another premiership team. Curbishly is the only name around at the moment that is overly tempting, maybe Boothroyd.
[/quote]

[quote user="crabman84"]

[/quote]

If you care to circulate that idea on the Northern Ireland boards I believe you would get a lot of support.

There is no point going backwards!! IMO, If in time we are after a new manger it has to be that a NEW manager!! Worthy was grand but it was his time to go.