Sign in to follow this  
SuperWesIrishWizard

Bertrand goes back in January?

[quote user="SuperWesIrishWizard"]

Am I correct in saying that Ryan Bertrand goes back in January?

Should we not be playing Adam Drury then?

[/quote]

Hes here for the season.

[quote user="thecanaryfan"][quote user="SuperWesIrishWizard"]

[/quote]

Hes here for the season.

[/quote]

We sign him until January 2009, and I cant find any articles to suggest that we have extended this?

[quote user="thecanaryfan"][quote user="SuperWesIrishWizard"]

[/quote]

Hes here for the season.

[/quote]

No he isnt.......

http://new.edp24.co.uk/content/sport/story.aspx?brand=EDPOnline&category=Sport&tBrand=EDPOnline&tCategory=Sport&itemid=NOED29%20Nov%202008%2010%3A55%3A54%3A140

[quote user="SuperWesIrishWizard"][quote user="thecanaryfan"][quote user="SuperWesIrishWizard"]

[/quote]

Hes here for the season.

[/quote]

No he isnt.......

http://new.edp24.co.uk/content/sport/story.aspx?brand=EDPOnline&category=Sport&tBrand=EDPOnline&tCategory=Sport&itemid=NOED29%20Nov%202008%2010%3A55%3A54%3A140

[/quote]

I stand corrected [:)] He has lost his edge anyway so would be no great loss. Drury is better imo.

I would think it''s more likely to be down to the fact he is a very young, relatively inexperienced player, who are generally accepted to be pretty inconsistent for the most part.Plus, has he ever played this many games in a year, in a league as physical as the Championship before?

Til January, but chances are that will be extended.

This season Berty has looked a bit off form tbh - unlike last year when I thought he was superb. The little we have seen from Drury this season, he has offered us far more and so should be starting anyway.

I think the full backs are the only loans who are a problem. We have no strikers except Cureton and strikers cost too much so I am content for us to rely on loans up front for this season and maybe even next.

However, in my opinion Drury at this moment in time would be a better and more consistent defender than Bertrand this season. I have no doubt that Bertrand is technically a better footballer than Drury and I am pretty sure that when he is Drury''s age he will be a premiership player.

Not only that, but Bertrand is going to leave, either in January or at the end of the season. By this time Drury will have wasted half a season or a whole season not playing and therefore being unfit. For a player of his age and given his recent injuries, this will not only make him want to leave, but it will have weakened him as a player and therefore bring down his value.

In my opinion Adam Drury has been a model pro for us. He has been consistently solid, coped well with playing behind a loose cannon like Huck*rby (even in the Premiership) and deserves to be first choice. I see absolutely no reason why Drury should not be a starter for us.

We did not need a first choice left back when Glenn was recruiting this summer, and we have wasted valuable resources on this ludicrous two in every position policy.

[quote user="Fuglestad"]I think the full backs are the only loans who are a problem. We have no strikers except Cureton and strikers cost too much so I am content for us to rely on loans up front for this season and maybe even next.

However, in my opinion Drury at this moment in time would be a better and more consistent defender than Bertrand this season. I have no doubt that Bertrand is technically a better footballer than Drury and I am pretty sure that when he is Drury''s age he will be a premiership player.

Not only that, but Bertrand is going to leave, either in January or at the end of the season. By this time Drury will have wasted half a season or a whole season not playing and therefore being unfit. For a player of his age and given his recent injuries, this will not only make him want to leave, but it will have weakened him as a player and therefore bring down his value.

In my opinion Adam Drury has been a model pro for us. He has been consistently solid, coped well with playing behind a loose cannon like Huck*rby (even in the Premiership) and deserves to be first choice. I see absolutely no reason why Drury should not be a starter for us.

We did not need a first choice left back when Glenn was recruiting this summer, and we have wasted valuable resources on this ludicrous two in every position policy.[/quote]What??? You are joking, right? [:|]

I think Adam will leave in January. Doesn''t appear to be in Roeder''s plans and can''t see him wanting to stick around to be back-up to a loan player. I appreciate he has had injuries but I would pick him over Bertrand every time.

imo - recently plastic has begun to recover some of his early promise, but overall he''s underperformed (like many of the squad) - also druro has looked good when he''s played, and better than plastic its fair to say,,,but he comes back for one game, and then gets injured, before taking a age to get back in with a shout, then the pattern repeats...if plastic goes, and druro gets crocked first/second match back - who''s gonna step in his shoes??? matty patty???[:P] 

Has Drury been injured since his return this season? I think it''s fair to say he is working his way back to full fitness after such a long time out, but I wouldn''t say he''s quite the injury prone player you suggest.If I was a manager with Premier League experience and new what''s best unlike any of you muppets I''d probably start Drury over Bertrand. That''s not to say Berty will not prove to be an excellent player in the future as I have no doubt that he will. I just believe in our current predicament we need experienced players like Drury who can rise above the problems and perform consistently.

[quote user="Rasputin was a C..."]Has Drury been injured since his return this season? I think it''s fair to say he is working his way back to full fitness after such a long time out, but I wouldn''t say he''s quite the injury prone player you suggest.If I was a manager with Premier League experience and new what''s best unlike any of you muppets I''d probably start Drury over Bertrand. That''s not to say Berty will not prove to be an excellent player in the future as I have no doubt that he will. I just believe in our current predicament we need experienced players like Drury who can rise above the problems and perform consistently.[/quote]if memory serves ras - drury has played comeback games and been subbed and/or failed to reappear next match on 2 occasions this season because of knocks (rather than match fitness) - i could be wrong on that, and will happily be corrected...

Berty gives us two positions for the price of one and has pace to go forward & back - at watford game Berty was outstanding had 2 shots and hit post twice

19 year old  Eng U21 with legs/pace or 29 year old exp pro  .....hmmm let me think who I would pick

Berty not getting in chels team at mo so may have chance of him when jan comes fingers crossed

From last nights Board Meeting:

-> Roeder said it is unlikely Bertrand will be returning in January once his loan deal runs out. He didnt say why, but I cannot imagine that Norwich dont want him, although I then cant see why Chelsea need him back.

-> Roeder said Drury has been unlucky with injuries, and he has had 4 different injuries this season alone. He is in his 30''s now, so it is taking him longer to recover. Roeder did say he will still play for Norwich, but I got the impression he wont be given a long run in the team.

-> Roeder said he will be looking to bring in a replacement for Bertrand in January, as competition for Drury.

Hope that clears that up or sheds a little light on the matter! :)

If Ryan Bertrand does leave in January, can I just say one name: Anthony Straker - Aldershot left back. 20 years old, former Crystal Palace player. A class act - and can easily step up to Championship level. We could get him for a song. And he''d be our player too.

I imagine Roeder isn''t interested in keeping Bertrand because he''s been very poor this season. He''s nowhere near the player we had last year.

[quote user="Old Boy"]I imagine Roeder isn''t interested in keeping Bertrand because he''s been very poor this season. He''s nowhere near the player we had last year.
[/quote]

Why does he persist in playing him then?

[quote user="lucky green trainers"][quote user="Rasputin was a C..."]Has Drury been injured since his return this season? I think it''s fair to say he is working his way back to full fitness after such a long time out, but I wouldn''t say he''s quite the injury prone player you suggest.If I was a manager with Premier League experience and new what''s best unlike any of you muppets I''d probably start Drury over Bertrand. That''s not to say Berty will not prove to be an excellent player in the future as I have no doubt that he will. I just believe in our current predicament we need experienced players like Drury who can rise above the problems and perform consistently.[/quote]if memory serves ras - drury has played comeback games and been subbed and/or failed to reappear next match on 2 occasions this season because of knocks (rather than match fitness) - i could be wrong on that, and will happily be corrected...[/quote]You may indeed be right. I''ve got to admit most of this season has been condemned to the depths of my memory in an attempt to try and stay positive about Norwich. I''d keep faith with Drury though. He''s the only link we have with our most recent successes and is a good player who at this time is a player we could do with.

[quote user="cityangel"]

[quote user="Old Boy"]I imagine Roeder isn''t interested in keeping Bertrand because he''s been very poor this season. He''s nowhere near the player we had last year.[/quote]

[/quote]A very good question - Drury looked a lot more secure at LB than Bertrand has lately.

[quote user="cityangel"]

[quote user="Old Boy"]I imagine Roeder isn''t interested in keeping Bertrand because he''s been very poor this season. He''s nowhere near the player we had last year.[/quote]

[/quote]I doubt Chelsea let us have him to sit on the bench every week.