Sign in to follow this  
Delia, When Do I Start??

Time for the kids?

[quote user="Yellow Rider"][quote user="can u sit down please"]

[quote user="Fabregas- Poor Mans Ian Crook"][quote user="Jimmy Smith"]what happens when they''re put in and can''t hack it tho?
[/quote]

Then we''re in no worse a position than we are already.
[/quote]

They get shot of there confidence and we end up with more Hendo''s/Jarvis''/Eagles and Martins.

NEVER NEVER NEVER introduce youngsters into a struggling team. Fergie/Wenger/Benitez et al have never done it. The time needs to be right.

[/quote]

You''ve clearly forgotten the impact Chris Martin made when he was introduced ''into a struggling team''?? The fact that he lost his way was very largely down to non footballing matters. In your opinion then, please tell us when it IS the rifght time to play these boys? If we were competing in the top 6 we sure as hell would''nt play them as no-one would want the manager to change a winning side. As far as I see it, it''s heads they lose and, oh dear, tails they lose as well! 

[/quote]

We havent been able to blend youngsters in in the last 5 yrs due to promotion, relegation, expectation and relegation fights.

The right time to blend them in is when you are doing well ie late 80''s/ early 90''s (up to 94)....a period you may remember as a very succesful time for youngsters emerging. Eadie, Cureton, Akipoopoo, Johnson, Forbes, Marshall, Wright, Mills, Simpson...etc. Players from our own ranks able to be blooded in. Not all were successes but were introduced slowly.

Then you get this century.....Jarvis x2, Henderson, Eagle, Martin, Spillane, Cave Brown and Crow.....all hugely talented at youth level but never made the step due to the first team situation. I still to this day believe that had Ryan Jarvis scored tthat goal v Liverpool and was able to be given a run in the team he would have turned into a good player.

I can see why people want youngsters put in now but now is not the time. They come in, we lose, their confidence gets knocked and people like you call them all the names under the sun on here!

Nobody is better qualified in our league than Roeder at dealing with youngsters (hence Wengers job offer) so i certainly trust him to do the right thing.

But age aside...if your good enough then your old enough.

[quote user="Yellowbeagle"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="Yellowbeagle"]

What i mean by expectation levels is if we''re bringing 18 year olds into a struggling team and expecting them to be far superior than whats already in the first 11. They may be good players but the struggling team of senior players may not give them the platform to show what they can do. It''s nothing to do with their personal ambition or desire which they obviously have to have, it''s the expectation from the fans for these kids to perform.  Unless you''ve an ego the size of Craig Bellamy''s if you come into a team that gives you not one opportunity or leaves you constantly exposed then everyone turns round and says rubbish player that may not be the case, but it could seriously damage a young players confidence, if they come in and dont perform straight away i just dont want to see them cast adrift.

I agree Ched Evans was better than Martin and Jarvis, but to say they never looked good enough is not true there may have been only glimpses but it was there, i remmember Jarvis goal against liverpool in the premier league, players without ability couldnt have done that. More so when Martin first broke into the team he looked just as good as Ched, he just couldnt keep it going.

[/quote]

They never looked good enough in my opinion, I was saying as much at the time. Martin you could see had some ability but I still thought he had a lot to do. The goal against Liverpool was the exception, not the rule, as far as Ryan Jarvis is concerned. He always had far too many weaknesses and limitations that were very apparent, which is why he hasn''t made it at this level.

Do you honestly think Martin looked as good as Ched Evans? I find that very hard to believe.

If there is a youth player out there who is causing the senior players all sorts of problems on the training ground then fair enough bring them in, give them a run and see what they can do. If they work hard and look to do the right things then keep them in the frame. If they''re not putting in the work and making you a weaker side then you can''t afford to persist with them.

They have to be equal or an improvement to what you''ve already got. Unless you''re miles clear at the top of the league and you can afford to drop some points and not worry about it.

[/quote]

Of course I dont think Martin is as good a player as Ched, but in that second half of his first season when he performed well there was not much in it, if anything. Ched obviously has the far better character though and that enabled him to see and take on board advice that was given to him when he wasnt performing in the middle of that loan period. Really during that close season period when Martin was playing well, were you nearly the only person in Carrow road who didnt think he looked a good promising player.

[/quote]

When Chris Martin first appeared on the scene he did look like he had ability but like I said earlier, he also looked like he had a lot to do. Some clever touches, he could twist and turn to work an opening and he wasn''t afraid to have a go at goal. Unfortunately for him by the end of that season he''d already gone off the boil and his head had obviously gone right up his own backside.

Ched Evans, in my opinion, is very much a benchmark for a young player coming into the side. Raw ability matched with real determination. Something that the vast majority of our youngsters have lacked on both fronts over recent times.

[quote user="can u sit down please"]

[quote user="Fabregas- Poor Mans Ian Crook"][quote user="Jimmy Smith"]what happens when they''re put in and can''t hack it tho?
[/quote]

Then we''re in no worse a position than we are already.
[/quote]

They get shot of there confidence and we end up with more Hendo''s/Jarvis''/Eagles and Martins.

NEVER NEVER NEVER introduce youngsters into a struggling team. Fergie/Wenger/Benitez et al have never done it. The time needs to be right.

[/quote]cant rember their teams struggling like us

Apart from the short run Martin had in the team, the last time we had youngsters playing well and consistantly was the promotion year, and to be fair I could probably have played and looked good that year too.

It''s really hard to judge when the actual right time to throw the youth players in is.

In my view I think that aside from a future altering game like Fulham (a) or the playoff games etc, then there is never a bad time to have 1 maybe even 2 on the bench, after all you don''t have to use them, but if the game allows then why not.

Some managers are far too cautious, I just think as long as your not relying on them and your not placing too much pressure on them it will be fine.