Sign in to follow this  
Taxing

We are too good to go down

All of us have heard that assertion many times over the years from fans of different clubs but that''s exactly how I feel about Norwich this season. In the first half last Saturday we were so superior to Reading that any neutral would have thought that it was the team in yellow and green rather than the blue and white which was at the top of the table. We should have been 2-0 up at half-time with the game virtually won and the prospect of more goals in the 2nd half with Reading chasing the game leaving themselves exposed at the back. Instead, we didn''t take our two clearest chances, with open goals looming, Russell and Pattison being the culprits and once again we allowed the points slip away. To add insult to injury the penalty was highly dubious but when luck and good fortune are against you that''s the sort of thing that happens.... in our case with saddening regularity.

The biggest disappointment was Roeder''s usual steadfast refusal to make changes when the game is either on a knife edge or slipping away from us. He had brought on Cort but then with, say, 20 minutes to go he undoubtedly should have introuded Lupoli who had been warming up for ages on the touchline. Lupoli''s pace coupled to Cort''s ability to win EVERY high ball would IMO have made the difference. However, Roeder steadfastly did nothing, despite the Lupoli chants ringing in his ears, whilst his opposite number brought on three subs whose fresh legs and energy clearly made a difference. We should have won the game but in the end suffered a double hammer blow at the death leaving us all stupefied.

Our luck, and I think it is largely down to bad fortune that we have not secured many more points from the matches I have been to,  must surely change very soon but Roeder needs to change his thinking too. Russell was clearly struggling in his striker''s role from early on and looked tired and a little demoralised as the 2nd hald unfolded. The pitch was muddy and slippery and he should have been replaced by Lupoli who would have brought fresh legs and pace to our attack. If, for whatever reason, Roeder doesn''t rate Lupoli then it is wasteful to include him in the squad when we have a couple of strikers in the Reserves who would love the opportunity to stand up to the plate.

One big positive : Cort - he looked the part, the defenders did not like "him up them", he won every high ball and IMO we should hit nervy Charlton with everything we have got from the start with Cort and Lita beginning the game together. If they do then I can see Norwich putting at least two away within 30 minutes and going on to score more. Maybe Cort should have started against Reading, he would have buried both headers that Russell and Patty squandered.

[quote user="CT "]Shock horror! we8 says that cort is rubbish and is proved wrong[:O][/quote]

Only my opinion CT but I really liked the look of him. he was clearly up for it, mixed it with their defenders and DID win every high ball that came his way. Trouble was that we didn''t have JC (tongue in cheek) or Lupoli to feed off the balls he won. Oddly, Duberry wasn;t assigned to marking him because he was the obvious Reading defender to give that job too but I think he didn''t fancy it ! Truth is that Cort definitely looked the part which is why I think he should start against Charlton. After all, how often have we had 6''4" strikers of undoubted quality and real strength in the air at Norwich ? Only shame is that Lita will be off in January, because IMO Leroy and Cort is a really exciting partnership.

[quote user="The Butler"]Of course we are too good to go down. Err this is the supporters you are refering to isn''t it?[/quote]

and the supporters were great as usual on Saturday although the moronic stewards were unnecessarily hostile.

Agre with you Lord Snooty - especially the arrogant reluctance of GR to pull Russell off and bring Lupoli on (ditto for Watford as well). In my opinion, once he heard Lupoli''s name being chanted, there was no way he was going to bring him on........or, I have got it completely wrong, he''s not arrogant at all, he just hasn''t got a clue..

[quote user="CT "]

I wasnt being sarcastic mate [Y]

Cheers for the explanation (for 1st and 2nd posts on this thread)

[/quote]

I didnt think you were being sarcastic but I thought i had better develop my opinion in anticipation of being rubbished by we8etc or whatever is name is.

c.t - honestly mate, give it time.

any player can look good on one of displays - even leicester fans were taking the pee on here last week

[quote user="we8wba"]

c.t - honestly mate, give it time.

any player can look good on one of displays - even leicester fans were taking the pee on here last week

[/quote]

I will ask on this thread as well.

Have you seen him play since his rehabilitation from his injury?

Have you seen any of our players (apart from one game  or televised)?

And it''s one off not one of!

[quote user="Lord Snooty "]

Cort - he looked the part, the defenders did not like "him up them"

[/quote]

That would make sense, I''ve heard he''s bigger than Dublin.

[quote user="we8wba"]expired you plank[/quote]

Not sure why I am bothering to respond to you but, based upon what I saw on Saturday, Cort can definitely do a job for us. He was clearly "hungry" and won the high balls but there was no one on our side to take advantage. He also made some good clearances from defence. Of course, the issue is whether or not he can stay fit but, if he can, my view is that is a good quality, strong, tall striker who is unquestionably good in the air and will give us a dimension in attack and for set pieces both in attack and defence that we have lacked for far too long. If he stays fit he can give us a couple of years of good service. I for one am very positive about him.

as to the question have i seen you play more than once - yes but only 3 or 4 times and in those i cant see where the problems are lol, wolves, forest, ipswich and reading i seen you and suppose they been some of the better games for you

as to carl cort, maybe he will turn out to be good, harsh for me to write him of so soon, but he was cack at us did nothing leicester and doubt he went marbella for footballing reasons. all the best with him and hope he does turn out to be good. just if the same carl cort i followed past 3 or 4 yrs prior to marbella then he cack.

[quote user="CT "]

[quote user="we8wba"]expired you plank[/quote]

so why dont you use your old account then turd burger [:P]

[/quote]

You dont get them at Burger King!!