Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Submarine

Just back from the meet the board meeting @ Banham CC!

Hi guys I''ll try my best to keep this relatively brief! All in all it was quite a good debate tonight. The attendance wasn''t as great as some of the previous meeting I''ve been to, there was only about 70 people, I suppose it wasn''t too bad for a fairly rural location!

I thought that Glenn spoke well tonight. It was the first time I have seen him speak in public and I was impressed by him. Yes, he may come cross arrogant, but one thing you certainly can''t call him is false! He''s a very serious person and I thought a lot of the time he talked sense. The thing that impressed me is you know he is saying what he''s thinking, and I would rather have someone like that instead of someone who just says what he knows the fans want to hear!

Most of the questions asked were pretty good ones, fairly predictable. Some annoying woman kept pratling on about how us supporters don''t make enough noise and we were just as responible for the decline as much as anyone else, she wouldn''t shut up!

A lot was said about the current squad situation and the amount of loan players we have. Glenn talked about the state of the squad when he took over and how it was one of the worse teams he had ever inherited. He went on to say how the loan players last year saved us from relegation. He said how he was pleased with the five permenant signings he has made this year, and with the majority of the loan players. He went on to say about the loan players commitment to the cause and said that they were just as commited as the contacted players. He singled out Elliot Omozusi, and said how upset he gets when we lose, and how he loves it down here and that he doesn''t want to go back to Fulham in January! He also said how Sibierski and Kennedy have been playing through injury a lot of  the time, and said why do that if they didn''t care? He admits that it isn''t ideal having to rely on so many loan players, and that he would, in an ideal world, prefer to sign players on contacts, but with the money he has to spend it''s a matter of bringing in the players with quality. He mentioned that we should enjoy Lita and Kennedy while they''re here- so it doesn''t look like they''re on the permenant radar!

Doncaster was asked how much these loan players were costing us and he said that each loan player were signed under different circumstances. For example, we would pay a lump sum for one player, another we would pay the whole wage, some we would pay agent fees plus a percentage of the wage.......you get the idea!

Investment was mentioned, and to be blunt there is no real major developments there!

The board did mention that there will be some money for Glenn to spend in January...obviously our board don''t divuldge in figures, but they did say that potential sell on clauses for Robert Green, Dean Ashton or Joe Lewis would be put into the transfer kitty.

The subject of Lee clark came up. Someone indirectly asked why he had lied about an approach from Huddersfield. Glenn said that at the time he made those comments, he was unaware in their interest in Lee and that it was news to him. He went on to say that the following Monday Lee did speak to him about the approach and he was honest and up front through out!

At the end of the night I went and spoke to Glenn personally, he''s approachable and has got time to speak to fans, apart from chit chat about Morston Hall (which none of you will be interested in knowing about) I asked him about Arturo Lupoli. Straight away he said that things weren''t working out as he planned. He said that the biggest issue with him is his physique. Whilst I was talking to him another fan gave him some homemade pickled onion and some home grown parsnips, which he was very touched by!

Other thing that were mentioned were

• current debt; how it is managable, how they are renegotiating a current loan with a bank
  • lack of a leader- how we need another Dion
  • How were the 8th biggest spenders in the league
  • wage cap
  • The boys at Luton ang how thay are doing ''Ok''

One thing that has got me thinking tonight is that Glenn has had a big job this season, and now really isn''t the time to judge him. When you consider he got rid of 17 players in the summer (none of them have gone on to play for anyone big & none of them are ripping up trees-as GR put it!) The 5 players he has signed have been good, so in theory if he can get another 5 strong squad players next pre season, it maybe a step in the right direction, plus we wont have to rely on loan players so heavily! It was never going to be a one season revolution, he has bought well when you consider he could only really look at bosmans,clauses and exploiting another teams misfortunes! 

I''m so so so sorry for boring you all with this....and to think in the first line I put "I''ll try and keep this brief!"

I''m off to bed now, I hope some of you will find this informative.....

Nice review mate, I just added my notes in another thread!

Similar opinions to mine, im guessing you stayed until the end, how long did it go on for?

Was that woman going on about QPR? She lost me haha!

And by the looks of it, Michael Wynn-Jones was nodding off.....

[quote user="Largey"]

Nice review mate, I just added my notes in another thread!

Similar opinions to mine, im guessing you stayed until the end, how long did it go on for?

Was that woman going on about QPR? She lost me haha!

And by the looks of it, Michael Wynn-Jones was nodding off.....

[/quote]

Cheers Largey! I saw your notes and I agree with what you said to!

She did go on a bit didn''t she? I think she does go and watch QPR

The meeting finished just before 10. All in all it was a good night! 

I laughed when she mentioned some QPR player doing ''a Cureton'' - running past a few defenders then blazing over!

Did you ask any questions? I may remember who you are then haha!

I was a scruffy looking lad with longish hair at the back, mostly laughing with my mate beside me.

Did you get the impression Roder will start with Lupoli on Saturday, and was anything said about Cort/Sadler?

Nice report Yellow Submarine.  I have never been much of a Roeder fan, but it seems as if he got the message after the AGM that he can''t be such a jerk in public.  He seems to have cleaned it up a bit since then, possibly realizing that if he fails here, its a long way down. I''m glad you asked about Lupoli.. basically he''s being bullied by the big center halves of the Colaship.  If he''s not workign out, and GR isn''t going to play him, then ship him back and bring someone else who can score.. until then.. play him. 

Thanks for the post Yellow sub, its good to get an insight to these meetings or else I wouldnt have a clue, and some good points about glenn there and the team he inherited! Maybe a bit more patience is needed! But thanks for the info, gld you asked about Lupoli, thats the first thing id say, so do you think he is not impressed and will not use him at all??

Thanks for the report Yellow Sub. Sounds like another interesting forum. Very good report. Just out of interest, were any players present? They used to run a player forum for the younger fans earlier on, have a break then do the Qs and As to the manager and board.

[quote user="Largey"]

I laughed when she mentioned some QPR player doing ''a Cureton'' - running past a few defenders then blazing over!

Did you ask any questions? I may remember who you are then haha!

I was a scruffy looking lad with longish hair at the back, mostly laughing with my mate beside me.

Did you get the impression Roder will start with Lupoli on Saturday, and was anything said about Cort/Sadler?

[/quote]

Yeah I laughed at that bit to! I didn''t ak any questions during the meeting. I sat near the back on the left hand side.

I got the impression that Lupoli will be playing at weekend, but only because Lita is unavailable.

He did mention Cort and Sadler. He said that Cort has trained well for the last 6 months with out any problems with his knee. He said that he will be involved from the bench on Saturday, and they''ll build him up slowly: 30 min,45min, an hour..... etc!

He said that Sadler is just as good appointment as Clark, and there shouldn''t be concerns over his age: If your good enough your old enough was his words. He said that next month he''ll have all the uefa coaching badges, and the same qualifications as Clark. We also shouldn''t worry about is lack of a playing career, he used Jose at chelsea as an example.

[quote user="Irish canary"]Thanks for the post Yellow sub, its good to get an insight to these meetings or else I wouldnt have a clue, and some good points about glenn there and the team he inherited! Maybe a bit more patience is needed! But thanks for the info, gld you asked about Lupoli, thats the first thing id say, so do you think he is not impressed and will not use him at all??[/quote]

I don''t think it''s a case of not be impressed by him, I just got the impresion that it was his stature and build that were the problem. I wish I asked him if he could be used, much the way as Hoolahan is being used!

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]Thanks for the report Yellow Sub. Sounds like another interesting forum. Very good report. Just out of interest, were any players present? They used to run a player forum for the younger fans earlier on, have a break then do the Qs and As to the manager and board.[/quote]

Yeah I remember those days Gaz! We got there just before it was suppose to start (Glenn was late!) and there was no Children or players present. Raz the clown was there though, it was a pretty easy night for him! I hope he''s on a pay as you clown around contract!!

Yes good report. It will be interesting to see if Lupoli can cut it a bit more with a big man like Cort beside him to let him bully the opposition defences.

So GR thinks Lupoli does not have the physical build for this league? For gods sake, he must have known that when he signed him, the boy was''nt new to the English game (or this league) was he!!

A very good report with some nice detail.

It sounds like Glenn convinced you with his arguments and that you left feeling that any current failings are not necessarily bad decisions by him but bad luck.

I think most fans accept that he hasn''t had much money but he seems to have convinced you that he has used it wisely.  I''m not sure I''m with you on that so maybe I needed to be there.

Thanks again for the trouble you took in writing it up.

[quote user="Yellow Submarine"]

[quote user="Irish canary"]Thanks for the post Yellow sub, its good to get an insight to these meetings or else I wouldnt have a clue, and some good points about glenn there and the team he inherited! Maybe a bit more patience is needed! But thanks for the info, gld you asked about Lupoli, thats the first thing id say, so do you think he is not impressed and will not use him at all??[/quote]

I don''t think it''s a case of not be impressed by him, I just got the impresion that it was his stature and build that were the problem. I wish I asked him if he could be used, much the way as Hoolahan is being used!

[/quote]Do you think Roeder knew his stature and build before he signed him??

If the questions were predictable then the answers were blatantly obvious. I dont blame him for getting narked at the AGM, some of the questions posed there were insulting at best.

I think he''s doing a great job, but is going to take a minimum of 3 years, probably 5 to get us consistently pushing for top 6. The different permutations of line up (injuries aside) HAVE to be tried before he has ANY idea of the best line up. Its no surprise he still tries things 12 months down the line, I''d be more worried if he wasn''t

Carry on Glen - I''ll judge things in two more years

[quote user="IBA"]If the questions were predictable then the answers were blatantly obvious. I dont blame him for getting narked at the AGM, some of the questions posed there were insulting at best. I think he''s doing a great job, but is going to take a minimum of 3 years, probably 5 to get us consistently pushing for top 6. The different permutations of line up (injuries aside) HAVE to be tried before he has ANY idea of the best line up. Its no surprise he still tries things 12 months down the line, I''d be more worried if he wasn''t Carry on Glen - I''ll judge things in two more years[/quote]

Even if we get relegated during his 3 year tenure?[:|]

Absolutely MY. I dont get too bothered by results, I like to watch good football even if that takes you down. I''ve huge admiration for Forest and West Ham who played some great football during their relegation seasons and didn''t resort to hoofball and thugs in midfield

Results I can read in the paper, If I pay £25 to watch football I want to watch quality. a home game for me is a 300 mile round trip - I want to see a good game, not nick a result. I''m sick of that.

I''m 51. Been to Wembley with Norwich 3 times, seen promotion and relegation. Had probably 15 season tickets.

I understand the younger fans want the bragging rights of results, but the impatient petulance gets very tedious.

Thanks for the review Sub, very interesting. Much prefer the people who call a spade a spade, of which Roeder is one - a very genuine guy.

[quote user="IBA"]Absolutely MY. I dont get too bothered by results, I like to watch good football even if that takes you down. I''ve huge admiration for Forest and West Ham who played some great football during their relegation seasons and didn''t resort to hoofball and thugs in midfield Results I can read in the paper, If I pay £25 to watch football I want to watch quality. a home game for me is a 300 mile round trip - I want to see a good game, not nick a result. I''m sick of that. I''m 51. Been to Wembley with Norwich 3 times, seen promotion and relegation. Had probably 15 season tickets. I understand the younger fans want the bragging rights of results, but the impatient petulance gets very tedious.[/quote]

I despair! no wonder our team and manager are crap!..........anywhere else, and he would have been crucified along with the damn board, you deserve each other!

Thanks YS for your report on proceedings last night. I was there too and yours is an excellent account of what took place. I intended to jot down a few notes on here myself last night but after a scary two hour drive home along freezing Fen roads it didn''t quite happen....

I''d agree with you that the lady at the front - Ann, the QPR supporter - seemed a bit unreal. At first I thought she might have been a Club '' plant '' as she was so ridiculously upbeat in her support of NCFC but she was a genuine fan although pretty much at odds with the thoughts of most other supporters there.

I thought the top table Club turnout was pretty good. In attendance was Roger Munby, Neil Doncaster, MWJ, Michael Foulger and a young lady who was to do with finance who''s name escaped me. MWJ brought Delia''s apologies. She was to have attended but couldn''t due to an urgent family matter. Roger Munby held things together well and I suspect the Board thought they would be in for a rougher ride. All the Club''s representatives spoke at some point but, predictably, the manager fielded most of the questions.

Glenn Roeder came across as a much more approachable character than described previously in the media. He did admit that he doesn''t laugh much as he takes running a football club very seriously. To my surprise he admitted that he''s made one or two mistakes with some of his signings and last night I felt that he was making a belated effort to tune in to us fans. Several jokes were cracked during the evening, and, whilst I would never say he looked at ease he was trying to portray a friendlier side. Our manager can never be described as a relaxed individual but I suspect he''s been advised to '' chill out '' a bit and it seemed to be working.

Reading between the lines I would guess that our players currently on loan at Luton don''t figure large in his plans as he only said they were doing '' OK at that level ''. I was surprised when he said he watches them play, on average, every other game. He emphasised the difference in class between Championship players and those in the lower leagues is more than people imagine. Those that thought importing cheap players playing at a lower standard would be the answer meant well but it was not the '' quick-fix '' some imagined. I thought most of what he said last night made sense and I quite liked the way he slapped down one questioner who called one particular player a '' beanpole '' , saying that the question was '' disrespectful '', and refused to answer it. At that point I thought Roger Munby looked distinctly uneasy as a stand-off beckoned  but the Chairman diffused the situation quite nicely and with that both parties climbed down and peace was restored.

I was the person who asked about Lee Clark. It did seem odd to me that the manager had at first publicly said that he had no knowledge of any interest in his assistant but then, only a few days later, the deal was all done and dusted. It certainly was not my intention to infer that someone was lying but curiosity is understandable. After hearing the manager''s explanation, and, after chatting to a Board member at the end of the evening I accept that even the best informed managers don''t always know what''s going on, particularly now that agents have such a strong hold on the game.

Perhaps the thing that depresses me most is that  football, like all sport is so impossibly optimistic. The constant '' glass half full '' mantra and the dismissal of all negative thoughts is as wearing to most supporters - except perhaps QPR Ann - as our supposed negativity must seem to the Club. It may be for this reason alone the Club and it''s fans are some way off rebuilding the trust we once had . That said my overall impression of the evening was that the Board are fully aware of the problems but it''s a slow, slow process in bringing about the desired improvement in the Club''s fortunes.

Perhaps the question to answer is whether the fans patience will stretch that far 

Hi guys I''ll try my best to keep this relatively brief! All in all it was quite a good debate tonight. The attendance wasn''t as great as some of the previous meeting I''ve been to, there was only about 70 people, I suppose it wasn''t too bad for a fairly rural location!

I thought that Glenn spoke well tonight. It was the first time I have seen him speak in public and I was impressed by him. Yes, he may come cross arrogant, but one thing you certainly can''t call him is false! He''s a very serious person and I thought a lot of the time he talked sense. The thing that impressed me is you know he is saying what he''s thinking, and I would rather have someone like that instead of someone who just says what he knows the fans want to hear!

Most of the questions asked were pretty good ones, fairly predictable. Some annoying woman kept pratling on about how us supporters don''t make enough noise and we were just as responible for the decline as much as anyone else, she wouldn''t shut up!

A lot was said about the current squad situation and the amount of loan players we have. Glenn talked about the state of the squad when he took over and how it was one of the worse teams he had ever inherited. He went on to say how the loan players last year saved us from relegation. He said how he was pleased with the five permenant signings he has made this year, and with the majority of the loan players. He went on to say about the loan players commitment to the cause and said that they were just as commited as the contacted players. He singled out Elliot Omozusi, and said how upset he gets when we lose, and how he loves it down here and that he doesn''t want to go back to Fulham in January! He also said how Sibierski and Kennedy have been playing through injury a lot of  the time, and said why do that if they didn''t care? He admits that it isn''t ideal having to rely on so many loan players, and that he would, in an ideal world, prefer to sign players on contacts, but with the money he has to spend it''s a matter of bringing in the players with quality. He mentioned that we should enjoy Lita and Kennedy while they''re here- so it doesn''t look like they''re on the permenant radar!

Doncaster was asked how much these loan players were costing us and he said that each loan player were signed under different circumstances. For example, we would pay a lump sum for one player, another we would pay the whole wage, some we would pay agent fees plus a percentage of the wage.......you get the idea!

Investment was mentioned, and to be blunt there is no real major developments there!

The board did mention that there will be some money for Glenn to spend in January...obviously our board don''t divuldge in figures, but they did say that potential sell on clauses for Robert Green, Dean Ashton or Joe Lewis would be put into the transfer kitty.

The subject of Lee clark came up. Someone indirectly asked why he had lied about an approach from Huddersfield. Glenn said that at the time he made those comments, he was unaware in their interest in Lee and that it was news to him. He went on to say that the following Monday Lee did speak to him about the approach and he was honest and up front through out!

At the end of the night I went and spoke to Glenn personally, he''s approachable and has got time to speak to fans, apart from chit chat about Morston Hall (which none of you will be interested in knowing about) I asked him about Arturo Lupoli. Straight away he said that things weren''t working out as he planned. He said that the biggest issue with him is his physique. Whilst I was talking to him another fan gave him some homemade pickled onion and some home grown parsnips, which he was very touched by!

Other thing that were mentioned were

• current debt; how it is managable, how they are renegotiating a current loan with a bank

• lack of a leader- how we need another Dion

• How were the 8th biggest spenders in the league

• wage cap

• The boys at Luton ang how thay are doing ''Ok''

One thing that has got me thinking tonight is that Glenn has had a big job this season, and now really isn''t the time to judge him. When you consider he got rid of 17 players in the summer (none of them have gone on to play for anyone big & none of them are ripping up trees-as GR put it!) The 5 players he has signed have been good, so in theory if he can get another 5 strong squad players next pre season, it maybe a step in the right direction, plus we wont have to rely on loan players so heavily! It was never going to be a one season revolution, he has bought well when you consider he could only really look at bosmans,clauses and exploiting another teams misfortunes! 

I''m so so so sorry for boring you all with this....and to think in the first line I put "I''ll try and keep this brief!"

I''m off to bed now, I hope some of you will find this informative.....

[/quote]

Binner Alert!

Great report YS, thanks for that. I live in Banham and was unable to go last night - but my other half went - and reported back an almost identical report.

He too was impressed with Roeder''s honesty. As I am the shareholder in the family, hubby didn''t go to the AGM - and came home last night quite surprised at how negative some of the fans are towards Roeder.

PS Glad to hear about the donors of the onions and parsnips - we are generous like that in this "quite rural" location!

[quote user="old yellow bird"]PS Glad to hear about the donors of the onions and parsnips - we are generous like that in this "quite rural" location![/quote]

Sort of sums it up for me.[:|]

[quote user="IBA"]Absolutely MY. I dont get too bothered by results, I like to watch good football even if that takes you down. I''ve huge admiration for Forest and West Ham who played some great football during their relegation seasons and didn''t resort to hoofball and thugs in midfield

Results I can read in the paper, If I pay £25 to watch football I want to watch quality. a home game for me is a 300 mile round trip - I want to see a good game, not nick a result. I''m sick of that.

I''m 51. Been to Wembley with Norwich 3 times, seen promotion and relegation. Had probably 15 season tickets.

I understand the younger fans want the bragging rights of results, but the impatient petulance gets very tedious.[/quote]i share your view, i remember in 02? we played stockport at home last game of the season, they were relegated on about 19 points and yet turned up with about a 1000 fans and had drums and hoola skirts and all that crap. anyway, we tonked them (i think)and i got talking to a fan after the game and they said that they didnt mind going down because they knew their players had given their all. they were entertained by the football. it wasnt good enough but its not their fault.when you are coming down from 240 miles away to watch a team with 19 points and relegated you get a sense of perspective. i want to be entertained as a fan. watch football. look at the play off season. who would of thought we would get there? i didnt. and yes we lost at the end of it but what a rollercoaster ride and thats what the game is about. riding the negative and enjoying the positives...you wiz are just too british. get out your stripey deckchair and your stripey shorts and socks, go sit on the beach, think about the good times and breath the fresh air. you will realise, you have to sacrifice (e.g being freezing) to get anything back

Was there nobody there protesting[:^)]

Another opportunity missed as they preferred top stay at home in the warm behind their keyboards [:O]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Was there nobody there protesting[:^)]

Another opportunity missed as they preferred top stay at home in the warm behind their keyboards [:O]

[/quote]

Too bloody right!

Forking out good cash for this failing regime should be made a crime!

[/quote]

Strange one Lupoli. He obviously has skill and has been bright and lively when I''ve seen him play. He has good movement, touch and can score BUT he does fall over as soon as he''s touched and seems to only last 55 minutes. Fair play to Roeder for saying it hasn''t quite worked out and in his defence, I wouldn''t be able to name a single manager who gets 100% of his signings absolutely spot on. Only when you''ve got so little money to spend, mistakes in the transfer market become more apparent.