Sign in to follow this  
Reckoner

Trying to run before we can walk...

Since Roeder has come in we have undoubtedly been playing better football, but i feel that he has kind of gone about things the wrong way. Even after a year, i''m still undecided on Roeder. I appreciate how he has come in and tried to get the team playing decent football, and how he has made some good signings with limited resources, but he has made many well documented mistakes as well. His man management skills are questionable at best, and decisions during the game are, how should i put it, ''interesting''.

Anyway, to my point, i think Roeder has come in and tried to win by playing ''nice'' football before the team even knows what winning feels like. In my opinion, he should have built up a team with a strong mentality and structure, who are not afraid to get their knees a bit dirty to win or even draw a game. Now i know this wouldn''t have been pretty, but it would have given the team a foundation on which to build. Once he had built up this mentality, then he could try to teach the players a better style of football.

At the moment it just seems the players don''t know how to win, don''t know how to close out a game, and this is an extremely inportant part of the game. Roeder has nearly got it right, he just missed out a step, and this could be his downfall.

Our biggest problem is and has been from the start of the season that we don''t have a goal scorer.

Nobody in the club will put 20 - 25 goals in the back of the net this season.

At Reading we had three clear chances from 6 yards, Pattison and Russell both missed, any goal poaching striker would have had a hatrick.

Lita would have made the difference on Saturday

We need a striker that can come in and finish off the excellent service that Bell, Croft and Pattison are providing!!!

Once we get that we will start winning.

If you can''t score you''ll always leave the opposition that hope, doesn''t matter if you are running them off the park.

SIGN LITA NOW!!!!!

The striker situation should have been sorted out at the start of the season. Like I have said before, some of the play this season has been brilliant. On the 1st game of the season at Cov, we played some brilliant football, give away a stupid penalty, dominate midlfield and defence and let one error ruin the game and see the strikers miss open chances and I''m afraid thats how it has been all season now.

[quote user="Canaries in Bed"]The striker situation should have been sorted out at the start of the season. Like I have said before, some of the play this season has been brilliant. On the 1st game of the season at Cov, we played some brilliant football, give away a stupid penalty, dominate midlfield and defence and let one error ruin the game and see the strikers miss open chances and I''m afraid thats how it has been all season now.[/quote]

Yup, massive mistake not to bring in strikers over the summer. He knew Dion was packing in, he knew we wouldn''t necessarily see Ched again and he opted to let Hucks go. And then you could also go back to the sale of Chris Brown January.

I half wonder if chasing Hoolahan and Bell meant he took his eye off the ball a bit with regard to signing a striker.

There''s no doubt that we''ve paid the price for not starting the season with some decent options upfront.

[quote user="barlodona"]lets not forget our defence is pure 100% c*ap. we are giving penalties away for fun and getting sent off for fun why dont we just sign kevin bloody Muscat[/quote]

Agreed. I think currently our defence is the weakest area of the team, despite the situation up front as well. I will sum up how well our defence has been this season by saying one thing: Doherty has been our best defender.

Now, i don''t particularly rate him, but credit to him he has been good, in his own way of no nonsense defending. Kennedy has been disappointing this season for me, loses concentration too often and therefore makes mistakes. Roeder got a bit unlucky with Stefanovic because he was looking good until he got injured. 

I''m not looking forwards to January when half of the team gets sent back, and we have no decent striker and half a defence.