Sign in to follow this  
Ali Dia

Doherty completely at fault for the penalty

Bad decision by the ref, but yet another poor header from Doherty to put Fotheringham in that position.

His poor header back against Ipswich should really have seen another penalty given against us.

He needs to work on his headers.  Particularly when the ball has already bounced.

Ah but Doc''s main problem, along with going to ground too easily, is heading. He just seems to head the ball upwards whether he is defending or in the opposition penalty area.

I wish he was a better player ''cos the old boy is a decent bloke and always gives his all for the club.

He does, he''s one of few players who does give his all for the club, but whilst, as you say, he has always struggled with clearing the ball with headers - rather than putting it upwards, in my opinion he''s becoming an increasing liability.

Oh right. I thought heading was one of his strengths. For me Doherty is backup at best, but I know people will disagree with that.

It was clearly a poor mistake by Doc.Albeit, he has been one of our better players this season. He is a confidence player, much like Cureton, and on his day can be a very good player.However, we need consistancy, and this applies to the whole team.

Looking back though, gone are the days Malkay would power the ball clear with his forehead, or Flem would casually cushion the ball down for Drury to begin an attack with...

Time and time again Doherty proves himself to be the best defender at the club and is consistently one of our best performers yet any chance people get they want to find fault with him and highlight it.

Perhaps GJP, that''s because he consistently makes faults.

We have a core of fans who don''t criticise him because he puts effort in.  Like Kuyt for Liverpool for example.

It doesn''t make him good enough however.

Squad player for me.  Sadly our squad is so poor, that he becomes a starter.

I though the Doc played well Saturday. He got some early tackles and headers in, gained in confidence, and before the pen was in control of the second most prolific attack in the Championship.

With Stefanovic out and Kennedy potentially injured for a while we are going to need the Doc to be playing solidly this season more than ever.

What we don’t need is fans having a go at him on a message board. The same fans who more than likely start groaning or having a go at him the first time he makes a mistake or misplaces a pass.

Like it or not, the Doc is currently the best available centre back at the club. He needs our support as do the team.

Tim, whilst some do have a go at him on this and other boards, I am not aware of anyone having a go at games.

Home and away our fellow supporters (some) have a bit of a laugh about him but only between each other and nothing vindictive as far as I''m aware. Muffin is his nickname. Quite sweet I think.

With the situation we are in I agree he has to play. On the one hand that''s not a good reflection where we find ourselves but on the other hand there must be worse exponents of central defending in this league.

It''s all to do with the shape of his head - or more exactly, his forehead. If you look at him closely you will see it slopes away from the top of his eyes at an alarming angle. Now consider how many times he gets on the end of dead ball situations in the other area and where does the ball always go? - right, up and over the bar. He''ll never be able to head a ball downwards unless he''s upside down.

Brilliant post, Snap!! And Fozzie only goes sideways because his legs are at the wrong angle.....!!

Bit harsh to say the person who didn''t handball it was completely at fault... I''m sure Fozzy''s at least partially responsible for hitting the ball with his arm.

[quote user="sgncfc"]Brilliant post, Snap!! And Fozzie only goes sideways because his legs are at the wrong angle.....!![/quote]

...good spot! Who was that Welsh bloke who played in while plimsolls. He had the same problem! Carl Robinson - that was him. Why do we seem to attract misfits? The Queen Mum (God Bless her!) was supposed to be a big supporter and she''d had so many hip replacements she walked like a crab too! Then there was Peter Grant - eyes in the wrong sockets. Luke Chadwick - let''s not even go there....

Doherty looks good for 88 Minutes unfortunately, in the other 2 minutes he will gift 2 golden opportunities to the opposition. That my friends, is unnacceptable and why we''ll never get anywhere apart from the ''sixfields stadium'' in the near future....and that is not cobblers!!

[quote user="Ali Dia"]He does, he''s one of few players who does give his all for the club, but whilst, as you say, he has always struggled with clearing the ball with headers - rather than putting it upwards, in my opinion he''s becoming an increasing liability.[/quote]I would give my all If I was playing for Norwich and earning circa 10k a week, certainly does not mean that I am any good at football