Sign in to follow this  
Shyster

Police hunt Spurs fans

[url]http://news.google.co.uk/news/url?sa=t&ct=uk/0-0&fp=493f82f120c62f7f&ei=37o_ScuSDYKwQ5yMkM4I&url=http%3A//www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1093381/Pictured-The-Spurs-supporters-wanted-filthy-racist-abuse-Sol-Campbell.html&cid=1279117507&usg=AFQjCNHnLpwXtDMNKsYG0AL_xri3E7AOiw[/url]

I do think the Spurs fans in question should be dealt with accordingly, but does anybody here agree that the media & the police should not have allowed these pictures to be released to the public?

[quote user="shyster"][url]http://news.google.co.uk/news/url?sa=t&ct=uk/0-0&fp=493f82f120c62f7f&ei=37o_ScuSDYKwQ5yMkM4I&url=http%3A//www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1093381/Pictured-The-Spurs-supporters-wanted-filthy-racist-abuse-Sol-Campbell.html&cid=1279117507&usg=AFQjCNHnLpwXtDMNKsYG0AL_xri3E7AOiw[/url]

I do think the Spurs fans in question should be dealt with accordingly, but does anybody here agree that the media & the police should not have allowed these pictures to be released to the public?
[/quote]

It is the Mail , after all, but yes, I have problems with it too, not least how can you prove that all of them chanted? I suspect that these are CCTV pictures taken of an area of the crowd where the chants came from, yet those pictured have effectively been tried and convicted already.

[quote user="canarytom"]No. How else are they going to get help in identifying them?[/quote]

How much help do the police need? They have the photo''s and I''m pretty sure they know where White Hart Lane is.

[quote]yet those pictured have effectively been tried and convicted already[/quote]

And their jobs, families and even their lives put in jeopardy, Beau. 

[quote user="We Want Worthy Back"]They wouldn''t have released them without enough evidence to substantiate their suspicions. They should be named and shamed.[/quote]

Nor would the Met have shot Jean de Menezes in the head at point blank range without enough evidence.Oh....

[quote user="shyster"]

How much help do the police need? They have the photo''s and I''m pretty sure they know where White Hart Lane is.

[/quote]

Agreed.

Surely all they need to do is pop down to White Hart Lane with the photos and match them up to Spurs own CCTV records. Identify the blokes from that and then get them in for questioning. Sticking their mugs in the papers will probably get them identified more quickly, and with less actual work for the police, but if just one of those men is innocent then it''s grossly unfair.

[quote user="Chunky Norwich"]The Mail clamping down on racism? Shurely shome mishtake?[/quote]

So the fact that the pictures were shown on BBC South and Meridian TV means that they are culpable as well does it?

[quote user="Chunky Norwich"]The Mail clamping down on racism? Shurely shome mishtake?[/quote]Actually, despite being a vicious little rag the Mail takes a pretty strong stance on racism. It named on the front page the chaps who murdered oops sorry were accused of murdering Stephen Lawrence and said "Come and sue us if you want to".  For this it deserves eternal credit, and it didn''t mention house prices once when doing it.

[quote user="We Want Worthy Back"]They wouldn''t have released them without enough evidence to substantiate their suspicions. They should be named and shamed.[/quote]

Just three years ago muslims were marching through London with placards praising Al Qaeda and actually promising death to the infidels because of a Danish cartoonist - I''m sure you''ll agree, very racist comments/actions indeed - furthermore, after the protests, that had nothing to do with Britain, not a single arrest was made and very few photographs made the papers. In fact the aforementioned events were very played down by the media.The publication of these Spurs supporters photo''s with the announcing that they are being hunted as if they were rabid murderers or some such, is yet another severe case of double standards in this country.

and anyway, the report on the BBC says it was homophobic chanting.

The thing that really gets me is that you can give the ref as much s**t as you like, about absolutely anything, yet it all gets blown out of proportion once a player is on the receiving end instead.

And also, how many times over the last 10 years have we heard "does your boyfriend know you''re here?" at Carrow Road?.......it''s a load of old b....nadgers if you ask me.....

[quote user="shyster"][url]http://news.google.co.uk/news/url?sa=t&ct=uk/0-0&fp=493f82f120c62f7f&ei=37o_ScuSDYKwQ5yMkM4I&url=http%3A//www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1093381/Pictured-The-Spurs-supporters-wanted-filthy-racist-abuse-Sol-Campbell.html&cid=1279117507&usg=AFQjCNHnLpwXtDMNKsYG0AL_xri3E7AOiw[/url]

[/quote]

The pictures were released by Hampshire Police.

Nothwithstanding that, we are about to turn over Hampshire Police on another issue.

All''s fair in love and war, I say.

If the police hadn''t released them no one could have used them and if they hadn''t ****** up spectacularly on another issue we couldn''t turn them over.

Score draw this end.

Use them, abuse them.

Love it[:P]

[quote user="shyster"][quote user="We Want Worthy Back"]They wouldn''t have released them without enough evidence to substantiate their suspicions. They should be named and shamed.[/quote]

Just three years ago muslims were marching through London with placards praising Al Qaeda and actually promising death to the infidels because of a Danish cartoonist - I''m sure you''ll agree, very racist comments/actions indeed - furthermore, after the protests, that had nothing to do with Britain, not a single arrest was made and very few photographs made the papers. In fact the aforementioned events were very played down by the media.

The publication of these Spurs supporters photo''s with the announcing that they are being hunted as if they were rabid murderers or some such, is yet another severe case of double standards in this country.
[/quote]

Bollocks!  The Danish cartoon stuff/protests was widely reported around the world from the Ham and High to the Times of India.

September 17, 2005: Politiken, a Danish newspaper, reports that Kaare Bluitgen, a writer, cannot find an illustrator for a book about the life of Muhammad, because artists fear reprisals from Islamic extremists

September 30: In response, Jyllands-Posten, a right of centre newspaper, asks artists to draw Muhammad as they imagine him and publishes 12 cartoons of the prophet

October 14: Up to 5,000 people stage a protest outside the offices of Jyllands-Posten.

October 19: Ambassadors from ten Muslim countries request a meeting with Anders Fogh Rasmussen, the Danish Prime Minister, over the cartoons. He refuses to meet them

November-December: A delegation from Danish Islamic groups visit the Middle East to spread publicity about the cartoons. Rumours circulate and additional images, not originally published in Jyllands-Posten, are attributed to the newspaper

January 10, 2006: Cartoons reprinted by Magazinet, a Norwegian Christian newspaper

January 26: Saudi Arabia recalls its ambassador and initiates boycott of Danish goods

January 27: Thousands denounce the cartoons during Friday prayers in Iraq

January 28: The Denmark-based Arla Dairy Group places adverts in Middle Eastern newspapers to try to stop boycott of its produce

January 29: Jyllands-Posten prints a statement in Arabic saying the drawings were published in line with freedom of expression and not a campaign against Islam. Palestinians burn Danish flags and Libya announces it will close its embassy in Denmark. Danes told to be vigilant in the Middle East

January 30: EU says it will take World Trade Organisation action if the boycott persists. Masked gunmen in storm EU office in Gaza

January 31: Danish imams accept statements from Jyllands-Posten and the Prime Minister, and say are surprised at the extent of the protests. Saudi hospitals refuse to buy Danish insulin

February 1: Newspapers in Germany, Italy, Spain, Netherlands publish one or more of the cartoons. France Soir publishes all 12 and a new cartoon of its own. The editor is fired by the newspaper''s French-Egyptian owner. Syria withdraws ambassador to Denmark

February 2: Gunmen repeat protests in Gaza. Mr Rasmussen appears on Al-Arabiya, a Saudi news network, to try and calm situation. The Jordanian newspaper Al-Shihan prints the drawings - the editor is sacked, and ordered to apologise. Peter Mandelson, the EU Trade Commissioner, says the boycott must end

February 3: The International Association of Muslim Scholars calls for a "day of anger" across the world. 50,000 protest in Gaza. Muslims outside the Danish Embassy in London call for execution of those who insult Islam. El Pais, Spain''s leading newspaper, reprints a drawing, which shows the prophet made of words saying: "I must not draw Muhummad"

February 4: Mobs in Damascus attack the Norwegian, Danish, Swedish and French embassies but are beaten off by riot police. Protesters, including a man dressed as a suicide bomber, gather for a second day in London

February 5: Demonstrators set fire to the Danish Embassy in Beirut, overwhelming Lebanese security forces. A protester dies. America and Lebanon blame Syrians for the riot. The Lebanese Interior Minister offers his resignation. Around 4,000 protest in Aghanistan. Iran withdraws its ambassador from Copenhagen

February 6: Protester killed in Afghanistan as demonstrations take place in Kabul and the city of Mihtarlam. Crowds gather in Srinigar, the capital of Kashmir, and three cities in Indonesia. Pressure mounts in London to prosecute protesters for inciting violence.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/three-jailed-for-cartoon-protest-murder-calls-457763.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-376088/London-protesters-Behead-insult-prophet.html

You should either get out more or read a lot more newspapers.  Or both.  Who knows?

I am not condoning the alleged chanting by these Spurs fans, and it is alleged. We have this thing in this country, quite important in the grand scheme of things called "innocent until proven guilty". I don''t think these men are a danger to the public so their photos should not have been published.

I am also intersted to know where the line is drawn.

Should archant be releasing pictures of NCFC fans singing the George Burley/Jim Magilton Daydream Believer song? Surely it is blatant zenophobia.

Should we be able to sing "you fat bastard"? Surely this is sizeist (or whatever the term is)

Should we able to sing about bald players?

Should we be able to sing "she fell over"? This is surely sexist.

Is "Gypo! Gypo!" still acceptable? Surely this is also racist.

Various scum related songs incite violence.

The point I''m trying to make is that most amusing football chants are funny because they are so crudely politically incorrect.

We should outlaw hateful racism but where should the line be drawn? and more importantly who should draw it? Not the FA for sure as I trust them about as much as Jeffrey Archer.

[quote user="Fuglestad"]I am not condoning the alleged chanting by these Spurs fans, and it is alleged. We have this thing in this country, quite important in the grand scheme of things called "innocent until proven guilty". I don''t think these men are a danger to the public so their photos should not have been published.

I am also intersted to know where the line is drawn.

Should archant be releasing pictures of NCFC fans singing the George Burley/Jim Magilton Daydream Believer song? Surely it is blatant zenophobia.

Should we be able to sing "you fat bastard"? Surely this is sizeist (or whatever the term is)

Should we able to sing about bald players?

Should we be able to sing "she fell over"? This is surely sexist.

Is "Gypo! Gypo!" still acceptable? Surely this is also racist.

Various scum related songs incite violence.

The point I''m trying to make is that most amusing football chants are funny because they are so crudely politically incorrect.

We should outlaw hateful racism but where should the line be drawn? and more importantly who should draw it? Not the FA for sure as I trust them about as much as Jeffrey Archer.[/quote]I would hope that some common sense can prevail and each chant can be looked at on individual basis if someone complains. The Campbell one is in my opinion both racist and homophobic, and should be cracked down on.

[quote user="Fuglestad"]I''m not even sure what the chant is, but I guess you can hardly tell me on here![/quote]I''ll give you a hint, it involves references to lynching and horrible diseases.

oh dear. My guesses were much more tame.

I think West Ham fans singing about Roeder''s illness is probably as bad, as is the Wenger song.

If there''s any fairness surely they''ll be pictures in the Mail nearly every week.

Yeah the Roeder stuff was outrageous and so is the Wenger thing. Yet its Fergurson who kicks off despite the abuse of him by Arsenal fans was much tamer.

This is all pointing to the huge issue of where to draw the line.

Ferguson has stood up and complained, Wenger hasn''t but in my opinion Wenger is a coward. His comments about Martin Taylor which were never properly apologised for and his lack of disdain for the Arsenal fans treatment of Eboue.

[quote user="Fuglestad"]This is all pointing to the huge issue of where to draw the line.

Ferguson has stood up and complained, Wenger hasn''t but in my opinion Wenger is a coward. His comments about Martin Taylor which were never properly apologised for and his lack of disdain for the Arsenal fans treatment of Eboue.[/quote]It does but how is it cowardly to not complain? Ferguson as per usual is using the FA to try and get his own way, he is perfectly happy to dish out abuse to officials, journalist and anyone who pisses him off, and never makes mention of Man U fans singing about Hillsbourough. As for Taylor he apologised a week later saying his comments were OTT and said in the heat of the moment, and he has condemned the fans over Eboue, but he is never going to alienate his entire supporter base is he?  

I think my personal preferences are probably getting the better of me.

I''m not entirely sure exactly what Wenger said in his "apology" to Taylor but I remember when I heard it, it sounded more like "It was an unprofessional thing to say" than what he should have said which is "I was completely wrong, in no way did Taylor intend to injure my player and I apologise unreservedly."

I also think he should have been harsher to the fans about Eboue, they are not all going to go and riot about it, as they''d be screwed without Wenger. He could have set a precedent, and maybe even City fans would have taken notice!

[quote user="Camuldonum"]

[quote user="shyster"][quote user="We Want Worthy Back"]They wouldn''t have released them without enough evidence to substantiate their suspicions. They should be named and shamed.[/quote]

Just three years ago muslims were marching through London with placards praising Al Qaeda and actually promising death to the infidels because of a Danish cartoonist - I''m sure you''ll agree, very racist comments/actions indeed - furthermore, after the protests, that had nothing to do with Britain, not a single arrest was made and very few photographs made the papers. In fact the aforementioned events were very played down by the media.

The publication of these Spurs supporters photo''s with the announcing that they are being hunted as if they were rabid murderers or some such, is yet another severe case of double standards in this country.
[/quote]

Bollocks!  The Danish cartoon stuff/protests was widely reported around the world from the Ham and High to the Times of India.

September 17, 2005: Politiken, a Danish newspaper, reports that Kaare Bluitgen, a writer, cannot find an illustrator for a book about the life of Muhammad, because artists fear reprisals from Islamic extremists

September 30: In response, Jyllands-Posten, a right of centre newspaper, asks artists to draw Muhammad as they imagine him and publishes 12 cartoons of the prophet

October 14: Up to 5,000 people stage a protest outside the offices of Jyllands-Posten.

October 19: Ambassadors from ten Muslim countries request a meeting with Anders Fogh Rasmussen, the Danish Prime Minister, over the cartoons. He refuses to meet them

November-December: A delegation from Danish Islamic groups visit the Middle East to spread publicity about the cartoons. Rumours circulate and additional images, not originally published in Jyllands-Posten, are attributed to the newspaper

January 10, 2006: Cartoons reprinted by Magazinet, a Norwegian Christian newspaper

January 26: Saudi Arabia recalls its ambassador and initiates boycott of Danish goods

January 28: The Denmark-based Arla Dairy Group places adverts in Middle Eastern newspapers to try to stop boycott of its produce

January 29: Jyllands-Posten prints a statement in Arabic saying the drawings were published in line with freedom of expression and not a campaign against Islam. Palestinians burn Danish flags and Libya announces it will close its embassy in Denmark. Danes told to be vigilant in the Middle East

January 30: EU says it will take World Trade Organisation action if the boycott persists. Masked gunmen in storm EU office in Gaza

January 31: Danish imams accept statements from Jyllands-Posten and the Prime Minister, and say are surprised at the extent of the protests. Saudi hospitals refuse to buy Danish insulin

February 1: Newspapers in Germany, Italy, Spain, Netherlands publish one or more of the cartoons. France Soir publishes all 12 and a new cartoon of its own. The editor is fired by the newspaper''s French-Egyptian owner. Syria withdraws ambassador to Denmark

February 2: Gunmen repeat protests in Gaza. Mr Rasmussen appears on Al-Arabiya, a Saudi news network, to try and calm situation. The Jordanian newspaper Al-Shihan prints the drawings - the editor is sacked, and ordered to apologise. Peter Mandelson, the EU Trade Commissioner, says the boycott must end

February 3: The International Association of Muslim Scholars calls for a "day of anger" across the world. 50,000 protest in Gaza. Muslims outside the Danish Embassy in London call for execution of those who insult Islam. El Pais, Spain''s leading newspaper, reprints a drawing, which shows the prophet made of words saying: "I must not draw Muhummad"

February 4: Mobs in Damascus attack the Norwegian, Danish, Swedish and French embassies but are beaten off by riot police. Protesters, including a man dressed as a suicide bomber, gather for a second day in London

February 5: Demonstrators set fire to the Danish Embassy in Beirut, overwhelming Lebanese security forces. A protester dies. America and Lebanon blame Syrians for the riot. The Lebanese Interior Minister offers his resignation. Around 4,000 protest in Aghanistan. Iran withdraws its ambassador from Copenhagen

February 6: Protester killed in Afghanistan as demonstrations take place in Kabul and the city of Mihtarlam. Crowds gather in Srinigar, the capital of Kashmir, and three cities in Indonesia. Pressure mounts in London to prosecute protesters for inciting violence.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/three-jailed-for-cartoon-protest-murder-calls-457763.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-376088/London-protesters-Behead-insult-prophet.html

You should either get out more or read a lot more newspapers.  Or both.  Who knows?

[/quote]

And you should try reading shysters post. He says that demonstrators in this country were not arrested for racist chanting and placards even though they were identified on TV. Have you any information as to if any arrests were made?

> He says that demonstrators in this country were not arrested for racist chanting and placards even though they were identified on TV. Have you any information as to if any arrests were made?

Yes, that''s exactly what he has done - click on the link to the story in the Independent.

Just for those that can''t be bothered to click here''s the opening paragraphs:

"Three men were each sentenced to six years in jail today for soliciting murder during a demonstration against an anti-Islamic cartoon.

Mizanur Rahman, 24, Umran Javed, 27, and Abdul Muhid, 25, were convicted during separate Old Bailey trials.

Judge Brian Barker, the Common Serjeant of London, said their words had been designed to encourage murder and terrorism.

Rahman, Javed and Muhid were jailed for six years for soliciting murder and three years concurrently for stirring up race hate.

Abdul Saleem, 32, was cleared of soliciting murder at his trial but convicted of inciting race hate. He was jailed for four years.

As they were jailed, a group of around 40 demonstrators chanted and held placards outside the court.

They were arrested after 300 protesters marched to the Danish Embassy in central London in February last year.

The police made video recordings of speeches and slogans during the demonstration against the cartoon, which was first published in Denmark and then reproduced in other European countries." (Independent 18 July 2007)

[/quote]

Completely agree with you on this. Although of course I despise racism like most decent people, it does seem to me that the police action is completely disproportionate given their low profile/lack of response/lack of availability for what I would regard as much more serious crimes than a group of Spurs fans making obnoxious racist chants which only reveals them to the vast majority of fans to be moronic. I do hope that if any of those photographed can prove their innocence or, rather, if their guilt cannot be proved (remembering the axiom that you''re innocent until proven guilty) they sue the pants of the police and the media. And, of course, if any of them are found guilty then they should be punished accordingly. Moving away from this particular matter, I must admit I do have reservations about the expansion of what is termed racism over the years. I recall the Cantona incident and the Palace supporter being pilloried for calling Cantona a French ______ ? However, I felt at the time that Cantona''s reaction was way way over the top and that his punishment was too light. Or maybe I am too tolerant, but I honestly couldn''t care less if some idiot or group of idiots called me an English _____  or, indeed, a white ________ .

[quote user="Camuldonum"]

Just three years ago muslims were marching through London with placards praising Al Qaeda and actually promising death to the infidels because of a Danish cartoonist - I''m sure you''ll agree, very racist comments/actions indeed - furthermore, after the protests, that had nothing to do with Britain, not a single arrest was made and very few photographs made the papers. In fact the aforementioned events were very played down by the media.The publication of these Spurs supporters photo''s with the announcing that they are being hunted as if they were rabid murderers or some such, is yet another severe case of double standards in this country.[/quote]

[/quote]

Ah, excellent, Camul-toe, I knew I could rely on a fence sitting journo to take the bait [:P] So now you''ve brought to the attention that an inadequate four convictions were eventually made, would you still deny that bias and double standards are prevalent where the government & media are concerned? Those four convictions were token convictions to quiet rightful discontent and damn well you know it - it''s much like the Home Office played down the numbers of knife crimes, but now they''ve been found out by a civil servant and the media have had no choice but to deliver the truth on this rare occasion. As to my getting out more and digesting the impartial crap formulated by the media I was actually there first-hand to witness events unfold that fateful day, and the fact that a number of rightfully concerned spectators were immediately arrested for peacefully voicing their concerns over the threat placards while the protests were allowed to carry on, was, and remains conclusive evidence that there IS bias & double standards prevalent within this country.

[quote user="shyster"][quote user="Camuldonum"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Ah, excellent, Camul-toe, I knew I could rely on a fence sitting journo to take the bait [:P] So now you''ve brought to the attention that an inadequate four convictions were eventually made, would you still deny that bias and double standards are prevalent where the government & media are concerned? Those four convictions were token convictions to quiet rightful discontent and damn well you know it - it''s much like the Home Office played down the numbers of knife crimes, but now they''ve been found out by a civil servant and the media have had no choice but to deliver the truth on this rare occasion.

As to my getting out more and digesting the impartial crap formulated by the media I was actually there first-hand to witness events unfold that fateful day, and the fact that a number of rightfully concerned spectators were immediately arrested for peacefully voicing their concerns over the threat placards while the protests were allowed to carry on, was, and remains conclusive evidence that there IS bias & double standards prevalent within this country.
[/quote]

Oh, Lord another one.

If it helps,  one of the Spurs fans already identified is a serving Essex police officer[:P]

Evenin'' all.