Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

If we can't beat Charlton next week.

Then we''re seriously in the brown stuff!

Lets be honest here., the only reason we''re not in the bottom three is the other teams below us are crappier than City, we are going to come unstuck one week soon, when other results go against us, then maybe, just maybe, some ''blind'' fans will wake up as to just how poor this City side really is.

I just hope its not the Charlton game when this is discovered!.[:S]

Agree Wiz, why is everybody rambping on about playing good football.

WE WANT RESULTS, don''t care how we get them.

[quote user="ROBFLECK"]

[/quote]

They are not just rambling on about playing good football though. Everyone who went to the match last night said the same thing; We played good football, Marshall cocked up twice, Watford were crap and Roeder should have brought Lupoli on. I enjoy reading their comments, their thoughts, don''t put them down just because you don''t agree with one of their points.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

That''s two of you then.

How many more on here want results and don''t care how we get them?

[/quote]

Oi cloth ears, where the hell did Rob and I say we want Charlton to beat us?

Now who''s stirring?[:|]

[quote user="ROBFLECK"]

[/quote]

Can''t see any other thing for it,we have to get dirty, other teams are laughing when we meet them,get those knuckle dusters out.

start playing like Palace do play dirty, if not we are going to be in the THIRD division.   

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

That''s two of you then.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Apology NN, I miss read your post[:$]...............but in answer, winning in football is everything, so............................[:|]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

That''s two of you then.

[/quote]

At this moment in time, Nutty, we''re one place higher and one point better off than we were twelve months ago, a season that is widely regarded to have been City''s poorest for some forty years. Therefore, whilst I''d love to see us play like Brazil every week, at this moment in time, I''d take goal deflected in off Dean Colney''s backside, if it resulted in three points!!!!

[quote user="GazzaTCC"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

That''s two of you then.

[/quote]

At this moment in time, Nutty, we''re one place higher and one point better off than we were twelve months ago, a season that is widely regarded to have been City''s poorest for some forty years. Therefore, whilst I''d love to see us play like Brazil every week, at this moment in time, I''d take goal deflected in off Dean Colney''s backside, if it resulted in three points!!!!

[/quote]

OK, that''s your view and you''re entitled to it Gazza. But I don''t agree. Over the last couple of seasons I''ve been fed up going away from home, watching us continually on the back foot, maybe force one corner all game, and hope we can score from a break away or hang on for a point. Nobody''s talking about "playing like Brazil every week" or being happy to lose so long as we pass the ball are they? The point about last night was that we went there to win the game. We got hold of the ball and took the game to Watford. At no point in the 90 minutes were we second best. At the end of the day we  got nothing and I am as disappointed as you and of course I would "take a goal deflected in off Dean Coney''s backside if it resulted in 3 points"! But my point to you would be aren''t we more likely to get a such a goal in a game which we dominate, have 13 corners, 12 goal attempts and 60% of possession or in a game where we set our stall out to put 11 men behind the ball and rely on break aways. You decide.

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

1. Lets be honest here., the only reason we''re not in the bottom three is the other teams below us are crappier than City, 

2. ...some ''blind'' fans will wake up as to just how poor this City side really is.

[/quote]

Wiz - correct with point 1, but over a 46 game season I still think there will be 3 teams at least below us who fall into that definition.  There will be a lot less of them than we would like and it is a sad state of affairs that the club has fallen to such depths that we find ourselves needing to rely on the inability of others for our survival, but I honestly believe we will shamefully end up being able to just scrape through again.  Are you predicting relegation again this season btw?

In regards to point 2, this side is not poor on paper.  The problem seems to me to be woeful inconsistency and a lack of confidence - both of which may well be down to less than brilliant man management I accept.  The solution to that problem will be costly and at present does not have the backing of the majority of fans outside the confines of a message board.  It''s not that the fans are blind (Stevie Wonder could see we are not delivering the goods at the moment) it is more that expectation levels have declined so much in recent years - a better definition is probably "apathetic fans".

Whilst I agree with some of what you say, unfortunately, the only stats that count are the goals for and the goals against.

Therefore, whilst we''ve scored more goals (28) than 12 other teams in our league so far this season, unfortuntaley only two other teams, Charlton (37) and Watford (38) have let in more than our 34. And that is the crux of our problem.

[quote user="GazzaTCC"]

Whilst I agree with some of what you say, unfortunately, the only stats that count are the goals for and the goals against.

Therefore, whilst we''ve scored more goals (28) than 12 other teams in our league so far this season, unfortuntaley only two other teams, Charlton (37) and Watford (38) have let in more than our 34. And that is the crux of our problem.

[/quote]

Yes Gazza - our problem all season, right from that first game at Coventry has been our inability to turn periods of dominance into scoreline advantage. Until we do that we are not going to get results. We have to score the goals when we are on top otherwise we may as well put 11 men behind the ball and play for a point. It''s not bad luck though, it can be bad luck once or twice but there''s been too many games where we haven''t scored the goals that our possession warranted. 13 corners last night and we didn''t look like scoring from any of them. This needs to be addressed and I have my own thoughts about that and I posted them elsewhere. But it''s a lot easier to put right if we are getting those corners isn''t it?

Our problem''s really been the amount of crappy, mistake-ridden goals we''ve gifted the opposition. If we stop gifting other sides the lead we might not look too bad a side. Seems like it''s a big if though...

[quote user="Grando"]Our problem''s really been the amount of crappy, mistake-ridden goals we''ve gifted the opposition. If we stop gifting other sides the lead we might not look too bad a side. Seems like it''s a big if though...[/quote]

Partly I agree Grando. But if we got ourseleves in front when we were on top we would take away belief from the other team too. While it''s 0-0 or we are 1 goal ahead they still have that belief. But I agree last night we gifted them two goals that they didn''t ever deserve and that gave us a mountain to climb.

Lets be honest here., the only reason we''re not in the bottom three is the other teams below us are crappier than City, we are going to come unstuck one week soon, when other results go against us, then maybe, just maybe, some ''blind'' fans will wake up as to just how poor this City side really is.

[/quote]

Sorry Wiz but we proved against the binners that we are not a poor side.  The thing we dont have is consistency.  And that is something that every sportsman and team the world over is trying to find.

I would also imagine that if Charlton fail to beat us then they too are seriously in the brown stuff.

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

That''s two of you then.

[/quote]

[/quote]I think that might be a great non sequitur.Where did Nutty say you wanted Charlton to beat us?

Lets be honest here., the only reason we''re not in the bottom three is the other teams below us are crappier than City,

[/quote]Well yes.  And the only reason Man U won the Premiership last season was that every other team was crappier than they were.

[quote user="Count Chopula"][quote user="1st Wizard"]

Lets be honest here., the only reason we''re not in the bottom three is the other teams below us are crappier than City,

[/quote]

Well yes.  And the only reason Man U won the Premiership last season was that every other team was crappier than they were.
[/quote]

Damn this league system and the way it ranks teams in order of their ability! Damn it to hell!!!!!!

I agree with you Wiz... But by saying the teams are crappier than us, can''t that just be we''re better than them?

Also if we win on Saturday at Reading (I don''t think we will, I think we''ll be hammered) and lost to Charlton we wouldn''t be in brown stuff.....  But lose the next 2, we probably will.  But I can''t see any of the teams in there getting out of there to be honest.

We beat a poor team in Forest, so stands us in good stead for it.

One thing I find surprising, Charlton, us, Saints, Watford - all reasonable sized clubs down there

[quote user="Count Chopula"][quote user="1st Wizard"]

[/quote]

Well yes.  And the only reason Man U won the Premiership last season was that every other team was crappier than they were.
[/quote]

Stupid reply, just stupid!

Like we wouldn''t like to be runners up to Man U.

...the only reason we''re not in the bottom three is the other teams below us are crappier than City...

[/quote]Brilliant analysis of the league system.How is it this chap wasn''t anyone''s pick for most intelligent poster?

[quote user="Old Boy"][quote user="1st Wizard"]

...the only reason we''re not in the bottom three is the other teams below us are crappier than City...

[/quote]
Brilliant analysis of the league system.

How is it this chap wasn''t anyone''s pick for most intelligent poster?
[/quote]

It does seem that Wizard has an uncanny knack for relegating HIMSELF into "the brown stuff."

[/quote]

i`m just happy to have a good day out [:D]

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="Count Chopula"][quote user="1st Wizard"]

[/quote]Well yes.  And the only reason Man U won the Premiership last season was that every other team was crappier than they were.[/quote]

[/quote]Come on Wizzy, who mentioned being runners up to Man U?  I was merely pointing out that Man U finished top of the prem and the reason was all the teams below them were crappier than they were.  I think it has something to do with league tables and how they are based on a hierarchy of points earned in games against the other teams over the course of a season.  As you yourself noted in your insightful initial post, the reason Norwich City are not in the bottom three is because there are worse teams than Norwich in the league.  The Earth is not the closest planet to the sun, but only because Mercury and Venus exist.But what if they didn''t?  [:S]

[quote user="Old Boy"]

How is it this chap wasn''t anyone''s pick for most intelligent poster?
[/quote]

If I was ever awarded some pointless, ego massaging, meaninless award on here, then I''d be doing something wrong Old Boy.[:|]

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="Count Chopula"][quote user="1st Wizard"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Come on Wizzy, who mentioned being runners up to Man U?  I was merely pointing out that Man U finished top of the prem and the reason was all the teams below them were crappier than they were.  I think it has something to do with league tables and how they are based on a hierarchy of points earned in games against the other teams over the course of a season.  As you yourself noted in your insightful initial post, the reason Norwich City are not in the bottom three is because there are worse teams than Norwich in the league.  The Earth is not the closest planet to the sun, but only because Mercury and Venus exist.

But what if they didn''t?  [:S]

[/quote]

So are you saying Mr C that some crap is better then other crap?[:D]

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="Count Chopula"][quote user="1st Wizard"]

[/quote]Well yes.  And the only reason Man U won the Premiership last season was that every other team was crappier than they were.[/quote]

[/quote]Come on Wizzy, who mentioned being runners up to Man U?  I was merely pointing out that Man U finished top of the prem and the reason was all the teams below them were crappier than they were.  I think it has something to do with league tables and how they are based on a hierarchy of points earned in games against the other teams over the course of a season.  As you yourself noted in your insightful initial post, the reason Norwich City are not in the bottom three is because there are worse teams than Norwich in the league.  The Earth is not the closest planet to the sun, but only because Mercury and Venus exist.But what if they didn''t?  [:S][/quote]

So are you saying Mr C that some crap is better then other crap?[:D]

[/quote]Oh yes!  Horse crap is marvellous for the roses, whereas dog crap isn''t.  If we''re horse crap, then Forest are dog crap, Doncaster are elephant dung, and Charlton are what you might expect to excrete the day after downing ten pints and a couple of beef vindaloos.So, back to your original point... if we can''t beat Charlton, we''ll deserve to be in the brown stuff.

Agree with you completely on this one.  After the Ipsh*t game, I noticed our next 3 matches Watford, Reading and Charlton.  I was expecting 6 points if we wanted to improve already that is down to 3, as Reading away will be tough, but completely agree we must beat Charlton!  Also I am fed up with the excuses, we have played better, blah, blah, blah......But against Charlton we must win or my support for GR will go!