Sign in to follow this  
alex_ncfc

Darren Ward

Couldn''t get to the match on Saturday, but was wondering how Ward performed in goal? Also I see Joe Lewis came on towards the end, how did he do, or was there not really enough time to make a judgement?

I notice just to worry us, on the official site''s squad listing they''ve made the mistake of giving Darren Ward the number 1 shirt just below Greeno. At least I hope it''s a mistake!!

Ward had a very promising start, Alex, he looked very sound. He coped well with a fierce long-range shot that was goalbound in the first half, and looked good on crosses as well. He is very vocal in marshalling his defence - he must have been the loudest person in the ground! He will certainly push Gallagher for the number two spot.

I felt Darren looked a little ropey occassionally particularly in the first few minutes when he failed to pick up an early cross which was thankfully put wide. On the whole it was a good performance from a player who''d only just arrived at the club. I was impressed with young Jo Lewis who was looking really quite strong and confident given his age.