Sign in to follow this  
The Butler

OUR CLUB

50 Years ago the only 3 things I wanted for Christmas was a new pair of football boots a tin of dubbin to waterproof and soften them (and the strength to pick my feet up when they were full of mud) and a ticket to see Bobby Charlton and Man United against Norwich in the FA Cup.

My Dad got two tickets for the old Barclay and with snow on the ground and a chill smell to the air we went to see THE team play.

2 Hours later  a 3-1 win and my young life changed forever.

What if I and many others had not bothered to go to the match that day (just to see the Man U stars) and come away converted Canaries?

Would my and their lives have been simpler over the passed 50 years? Would my Saturday evenings been happier. Thats over 2300 emotional rollercoasters!

Over £100,000  poured into the City coffers that could now be in my pension. Do the memories make up for that?

The countless arguments and banter. The joys of winning the special games, the heartbreak of , for so many years, coming a brave second.

Should I have kept my support for Man United, SHOULD I HELL!!

Come Roeder,Delia whoever City will always be my team, not theirs.They don''t have the history in the club we do.They will pass on BUT a true fans love is there forever.

So come on all you Canaries and Dumplings etc. The older ones (even Wiz) have been through far worse than this, you younger ones just remember that this  in years to come will be your heritage, so support the old yellow and green and make the most of now for your futures sake.The team is what matters not the passing individuals whoever they might be, their tenure is only for a fleeting moment in time.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]You''re being very kind to Man Utd, giving them a goal![/quote]

No edit key and Jan 10th 1959 is a long time ago. Yes three nil it most certainly was. Type read edit post!!

It was a trifling slip! A great post. I envy you. I never saw any of those Cup games. My baptism was a few months later. An away League match against Hull. Like you, hooked for life!

Mid january,a cold wednesday evening and an fa cup 3rd ruond replay against Orient who were a league lower i believe.We lost 1-0 but like you i was hooked and i wouldnt have had it any other way.I love the club,not some of the useless muppets who run or play for it,THE CLUB.ON THE BALL CITY!

[quote user="The Butler"]

50 Years ago the only 3 things I wanted for Christmas was a new pair of football boots a tin of dubbin to waterproof and soften them (and the strength to pick my feet up when they were full of mud) and a ticket to see Bobby Charlton and Man United against Norwich in the FA Cup.

My Dad got two tickets for the old Barclay and with snow on the ground and a chill smell to the air we went to see THE team play.

What if I and many others had not bothered to go to the match that day (just to see the Man U stars) and come away converted Canaries?

Would my and their lives have been simpler over the passed 50 years? Would my Saturday evenings been happier. Thats over 2300 emotional rollercoasters!

Over £100,000  poured into the City coffers that could now be in my pension. Do the memories make up for that?

The countless arguments and banter. The joys of winning the special games, the heartbreak of , for so many years, coming a brave second.

Come Roeder,Delia whoever City will always be my team, not theirs.They don''t have the history in the club we do.They will pass on BUT a true fans love is there forever.

So come on all you Canaries and Dumplings etc. The older ones (even Wiz) have been through far worse than this, you younger ones just remember that this  in years to come will be your heritage, so support the old yellow and green and make the most of now for your futures sake.The team is what matters not the passing individuals whoever they might be, their tenure is only for a fleeting moment in time.

[/quote]...their tenure is only for a fleeting moment in time. Now that is cheerful news, I only hope in GR''s case that it won''t be long before it''s over.

Brilliant post, Butler! I made my "debut" 9 years later,but remember well the atmosphere with the old terraces and stands.Climbing up the bank at the old River End and finding a reasonably secure place in front of a crash barrier with my uncle was always a slightly terrifying experience,as was the crush between the old main stand and Boulton and Paul''s when we went in the Barclay End.

Like you I went to see a game of football, but came away a Norwich fan for life.Whatever state the club and team have been in I have never wavered, because City are my team,and football is about much more than being at the top of teh league.

[quote user="Beauseant"]

Brilliant post, Butler! I made my "debut" 9 years later,but remember well the atmosphere with the old terraces and stands.Climbing up the bank at the old River End and finding a reasonably secure place in front of a crash barrier with my uncle was always a slightly terrifying experience,as was the crush between the old main stand and Boulton and Paul''s when we went in the Barclay End.

Like you I went to see a game of football, but came away a Norwich fan for life.Whatever state the club and team have been in I have never wavered, because City are my team,and football is about much more than being at the top of teh league.

[/quote]

Amen Beausant! Amen!

So does this make you better fans than those of us who started supporting City later on?

[:P] I started supporting City in 2002 (play off final V Birmingham). I must be a terrible fan eh?[;)]

[quote user="CT "]

So does this make you better fans than those of us who started supporting City later on?

[:P] I started supporting City in 2002 (play off final V Birmingham). I must be a terrible fan eh?[;)]

[/quote]

i wouldnt say your bad fan at all c.t, main point is you never witnessed a norwich side struggle when not expected, premier league you could second guess you be near bottom three etc... but in this league everyone thinks there side top half minimum.

norwich have been through worse than they are now and im sure some older heads around here will refer to this due to this not being as bad as back then (if you get me)

[quote user="CT "]

[/quote]

No definately not CT. I was just trying to say we are all fans you as much if not more than me, because the future is in your hands not ours.

We must be of similar age Butler. I too can recall those days. I too have often thought what my life would have been like if i did''nt have the NCFC bug.

One or two of the Bury Yella gang can recall the old Third Division days and when we got promoted with Southampton.

Although we never really threatened promotion, we very rarely lost at home. I went with my uncles and mum and dad when I wasn''t playing local football myself.

I moved with my job to Suffolk and the only way my wife could talk to me was if she came along and joined us standing in the South stand plus she had ''a thing'' about Kenny Foggo. Mmmm

A few years later Arthur South employed a certain Ron Saunders and then the fun really did begin!!

Since gaining promotion from the old Third, it is a sobering thought that we never sunk so low in the Second Division (Championship) as we have these last couple of years.

[quote user=CT ]

[/quote

Thats such a **** attitude......you cant even appreciate somebody else''s memories without turning it into a negative snipe against poor little you.

Grow up FFS you little bore

[quote user="The Butler"][quote user="CT "]

[/quote]

No definately not CT. I was just trying to say we are all fans you as much if not more than me, because the future is in your hands not ours.

[/quote]so are the young kids getting into naarrwich, or are they sky tv devotees - remembering instead classic prem contests - and becoming man u or arsenal fans butters???have our long wilderness years out of the prem damaged us???if ticket sales are to go by, probably not...but then alot of punters have a favourite 2nd team they support (usually in the prem unlike cam!!!) to make up for the disappointment of city not being there...

[/quote]

Very good point, I have said this for years,and is one reason why my Season ticket belongs to me and will always be re-newed, because of the same reasons,we will be great again

Superb post, Butler. My Dad was only 2 back then, so i wasn''t even close to being around but you''ve summed up my feelings perfectly. It''s why i will always be there, come rain or shine, come League 2 or the Premier. It''s a labour of love, but a love it most certainly is.

On the ball, City.

[quote user="IBA"][quote user=CT ]

[/quote Thats such a **** attitude......you cant even appreciate somebody else''s memories without turning it into a negative snipe against poor little you. Grow up FFS you little bore[/quote]

CT tries hard but he moans all the time. God help his wife when he gets one, I have got to skipping his posts when I get to them.

What a wonderful post Butler, you old codger you....lol

I completely agree with your sentiments about NCFC being our club and whoever is in charge should not let us forget that fact. I do find it very difficult at times to continue attending games due to decisions made, but at the centre of it all is the overwhelming feeling that I am going because I am hooked on a lifelong love affair and a few dodgy managers and inept board personnel are not going to stop me supporting the team and the badge.

I am not quite as old as you, I started going in the early 70s so haven''t really seen much worse (league position). I guess it could get worse (back to the old third division) but I will still be there whatever.

What a pension fund!!! Money is worth nothing against all those memories, enjoy them.

LGT, an interesting point about second teams. Mine are entirely a heart over head thing, and because of family background and places I have lived and worked in.

My second team is Sunderland (my mother''s family came from Sunderland) and Notts Forest ( I had the good fortune to be working there during their European cup years). Both of them, like us, have had their ups and downs.

My kids were city fans because I took them to games and to Trowse to watch training, this identified them with the players, we knew many on a personal level at the time. All their friends who liked football were Man U "supporters" whose parents didn''t take them to football. They only watched their team on TV. Therefore they had a completely different experience of what it takes to be a fan.

But worry not, there are still plenty of kids who support Norwich, I see them every day on Carrow Park playing football and in and around the city. It really is a family thing and the club have to be applauded for encouraging the next generation to support their local team in giving concessions and having their FITC activities.

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]LGT, an interesting point about second teams. Mine are entirely a heart over head thing, and because of family background and places I have lived and worked in. My second team is Sunderland (my mother''s family came from Sunderland) and Notts Forest ( I had the good fortune to be working there during their European cup years). Both of them, like us, have had their ups and downs. My kids were city fans because I took them to games and to Trowse to watch training, this identified them with the players, we knew many on a personal level at the time. All their friends who liked football were Man U "supporters" whose parents didn''t take them to football. They only watched their team on TV. Therefore they had a completely different experience of what it takes to be a fan. But worry not, there are still plenty of kids who support Norwich, I see them every day on Carrow Park playing football and in and around the city. It really is a family thing and the club have to be applauded for encouraging the next generation to support their local team in giving concessions and having their FITC activities.[/quote]

Exactly right Gazza, many a half term standing watching Holt, Green, Roberts etc with my lad - who was threatening to become a Man Utd fan. The closeness of the players to the fans and the fact they had time for "the future supporters" will see us renewing our season tickets for the 9th year next season.

Not sure the new manager was right to ban the fans watching training and this is one of me personal gripes with the bloke. - let''s face it, it hasn''t improved results has it? all it has done is prevented the next generation enjoying the thrill of watching their hero''s

Drinkell - your namesake is one of my all time heroes by the way.....I am not sure what started the ''ban'' from Colney. I think it was Grant who started it, but not sure. Roeder said at the AGM that supporters were welcome to watch training, but not on the days of or before a game. Not too sure of the exact reason for this, but it''s rumoured that someone posted tactics of a training session on a messageboard and the opposition got to hear of it (during Grant''s time as manager). Again not sure this is fact and not fiction.

I have watched training for years and encountered many managers ranging from Ken Brown to Nigel Worthington. All I have to say were approachable and answered questions and the players all would stand and have photos taken and sign shirts etc. If my kids were still young no doubt I would go up to Colney now for exactly the same reasons as I did way back. New grand daughter will be an ever present in a couple of year''s time.

My son used to attend the FITC half term weeks and loved it, he had coaching from not only qualified coaches but the first team were always around at various points to kick a ball around with and to pose for photos. I am sure the same thing goes on now and IMO it''s the ideal way to get your kids to identify with the club.

As Butler so eloquently points out, true love never dies.

The only difference I can see between the current crop of players and those we fondly remember from when we took our kids to training is that they are here now and weren''t then. But of course our kids are too old to go with us to Colney now. It''s the grandchildrens turn now. Although having said that me and my daughter went last December. We got the full tour and even had lunch there. Everyone was friendly and made us welcome even Glen Roeder[:O] Although he was in a bad mood because it was the day after that infamous ipswich reserve game. I don''t think it was Roeder who banned anyone from Colney althout I think there are still times where the public aren''t welcome and probably rightly so.

Nutty, I can''t ever remember either Mike Walker, Gary Megson or Martin O''Neill getting worried about fans being around at any training sessions. However all of this took place before the days of the internet and wide mobile phone use (God, suddenly I feel very old), and I wonder if that connects the reluctance of the present and recent past managers from having fans wandering around watching the team practicing etc.

I have in the past been guilty (to use the term loosely) of describing what has happened at Colney, ie corner practice, five a sides, penalties etc. I guess I was not alone. I haven''t been up there since Roeder took over (more pressed for time these days and grand daughter not old enough yet) but in time I will be back.

It was very laid back in Mike Walker''s day I have to say. Ditto Martin O;Neill. Have the lunches improved though? That is the burning question....lol

Umm, not sure about that Nutty. Call me an old fogey but I still prefer Trowse. No frills but lots of football and the occasional chance of being run over in the car park. lol

Colney looks a lot different now. A lot more manicured than the the first years - still a lovely way to spend a morning (if you are hardy and don''t mind a stiff East breeze).

A lot of people always think things were better from years ago. I think it''s because we tend to remember the good bits and forget the rest. Memories from the past are important to me but I don''t forget we are making them now too.

[/quote]

I totally agree with those sentiments.  I think at Colchester I''m on my 23rd manager - lost count at Lincoln but there''s never been anyone as good as Graham Taylor was.  You have to put up with the bad patches as well as enjoy the good moments and I''m sure that will be the way for your fans as well as well as (in my case) years of not much happening!

But it is the club that matters above all else, above managers, director, even individual players (although they may be important at the time).    Some of you remember Mike Walker for a good spell as manager whereas I remember him as a terrific keeper for the U''s.  Either way, very nice bloke as well. 

I dare not calculate the money I have poured in (particularly Lincoln when it was going under) but I don''t regret a penny of it and I''ve spent this year as well (and at Norwich City, too).  None of the clubs mentioned are doing as well as any of us would wish but they''re still YOUR club and we are stuck with them which is fine by me................

Nutty, a lot of things were better years ago, but a lot of things are better now, roughly depending on subjective viewpoint. My memory re things football are coloured mostly by firstly the matches seen in recent and long term past - not all of the past enjoyed by the way and as for the present. What, if anything will I choose to remember from the past few seasons? Hard to say and depends what you compare it with I guess.

Most poignant memories regarding the club are, as Butler posted, big games which stay implanted in my memory bank. The old First Division relegation and promotion games, the FA cup semis, those two League Cup Finals at Wembley, the never forgotten Milk Cup semis and the Final of course. The great footballing sides of John Bond, Dave Stringer and Ken Brown....Mike Walker''s first time in charge and so on. More recently Hucks and the promotion year.

The relegation day at Leeds sticks in there probably more than it should. The first game away in our "On loan" season after that at Luton and chanting "Sing up the beach huts". Too think I dealt with the relegation disappointment by going to all those wonderful new grounds! Such wonderful naivety! We were so full of confidence were we not, on going straight back up?

Then there are of course the off field memories, like the seats going in the Barclay. Robert Chase and the infamous flour mill. The comings and going on and off the field. All those players sold on and newer emerging stars from the old conveyor belt at Trowse.

That wonderful day when Worthington announced we had some loan players - Hucks and Crouch....and the best memory for me the Championship winning year was my daughter driving us around the city that night directly after the reserve game with the car horn blaring. Getting very very drunk after the Championship parade! Top of the league at Portman Road. Not much beats that one.

I guess we shouldn''t dwell too much on bad memories, not good for the soul. This season what will you remember Nutty? The emergence of some good football? The triumph of eternal optimism over pessimism? In five years time will we remember a club torn apart, divided loyalties or new beginnings? Fresh investment or another near miss/relegation battle? Who will be the player of 2008/9?